Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 31 total)
  • Author
    Malgus
    Malgus
    Survivalist
    member8

Jack Donovan is fast becoming one of my favorite writers.

The guy is funny, pithy and most importantly, he goes right to the heart of what is has been historically to be a man and contrasts that with what men are being told they have to be today (hint: We’re being sold a bill of goods… ie: ripped off).

Yes, I’m very sure that Jack – and anyone agreeing with him, which includes me – will be accused of being intolerant, anti-gay, a misogynist, a ‘raaayciss” etc, etc… the usual Words of Power hurled at us by the usual alleged “tolerant” crowd…

Much of what Jack writes goes to survival, self-reliance, violence and tribalism – which is exactly what we will be dealing with in a SHTF scenario. All the modern, squishy trappings of “civilization” will be (thankfully) tossed to the wayside as there will be no time nor place for such things…

Jack, on Violence:

“Violence isn’t the only answer, but it is the final answer.

One can make moral arguments and ethical arguments and appeals to reason, emotion, aesthetics, and compassion. People are certainly moved by these arguments, and when sufficiently persuaded –providing of course that they are not excessively inconvenienced — people often choose to moderate or change their behaviors.

…No delinquent or upstart may ever ask, “Or Else What?,” because in a truly non-violent society, the best available answer is “Or else we won’t think you’re a very nice person and we’re not going to share with you.” Our troublemaker is free to reply, “I don’t care. I’ll take what I want.”

Violence is the gold standard, the reserve that guarantees order. In actuality, it is better than a gold standard, because violence has universal value. Violence transcends the quirks of philosophy, religion, technology and culture. People say that music is a universal language, but a punch in the face hurts the same no matter what language you speak or what kind of music you prefer. If you are trapped in a room with me and I grab a pipe and gesture to strike you with it, no matter who you are, your monkey brain will immediately understand “or else what.” And thereby, a certain order is achieved.”

Jack, on Tribalism:

Zompocalypse Now: America’s Training Wheel Tribalism

Zombies are socially acceptable substitutes for the people we’re afraid of, the people we worry we might have to kill if we don’t want to be killed. Zombies are stand-ins for violent “youths,” for the hungry poor, for criminals and gangs and the people out there who want to break into your house and take your stuff.

To me, Mr. Donovan is a prophet, crying in the wilderness…

His writing – blog and books all – is well worth the time spent…

http://www.jack-donovan.com/axis/

The wicked flee when none pursueth..." - Proverbs 28:1

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

Malgus,
    Where violence can be the final expression of communicating one’s desires it certainly doesn’t guarantee order. Most often it is used by people unable to achieve results in anyother manner. Sometimes dealing with a belligerent there are no other options for fair minded people.

I’m not inclined to apply anything he has written to real life. I know absolutely nothing about the author and searched his name. This is one of the things that came up.

http://www.avoiceformen.com/miscellaneous/what-the-****-is-wrong-with-jack-donovan/

“Jack Donovan is gay, and it has genuinely fucked him up.

Rather I should say he has reacted in one of the most dysfunctional ways imaginable as a homosexual male living in a culture that unfortunately often does not regard him as a man.  He has become obsessed with proving that he is. And you can see it dripping from nearly every line he writes in nearly every one of his articles.”

Selco
    Selco
    Survivalist
    member6

Violence transcends the quirks of philosophy, religion, technology and culture. People say that music is a universal language, but a punch in the face hurts the same no matter what language you speak or what kind of music you prefer.

Well said.
    Simply, violence is sometimes necessary.

Tolik
    Tolik
    Survivalist
    member10

” God made man , Smith & Wesson made them equal “

Profile photo of tweva
    tweva
    Survivalist
    rreallife

Malgus, I’m obviously not a man but I think I will read this book. Unfortunately, as Selco says, sometimes violence is necessary. Personally, I truly hope there will come a day that it will be a last resort to defend oneself/family etc.. I am an idealist – and don’t see anything wrong with that. Until I read the book, my questions center around how what he writes about, which seems to speak to you so, would integrate with Christian beliefs and Christians striving to be more “Christ-like” – ….and I wonder if for centuries of male dominated world/way of thinking/propensities…now more female influence and chuckle ‘squishiness’…(pendulum one way now swinging another) if evolutionarily speaking we (mankind) will end up somewhere in the middle…should we and the planet survive long enough.

Thanks for the pointer to the book.

Whirlibird
    Whirlibird
    Survivalist
    member10

<div class=”d4p-bbp-quote-title”>Tolik wrote:</div>” God made man , Smith & Wesson made them equal “

That would be Samuel Colt not S&W.

More on violence later.

Toby C
    Toby C
    Survivalist
    member6

“Force is a form of communication. It is the most emphatic possible way of saying “no”. For years my job was to say no, sometimes very emphatically, to violent people.” – Rory Miller

Tolik
    Tolik
    Survivalist
    member10

Whirl ,
    what ever brand you choose , the same still holds true .
    Makarov, Taurus , S&W, Glock , Baretta , Ruger , etc. will kill the offender just as dead as a colt . Just Sayin

Malgus
    Malgus
    Survivalist
    member8

@ 74,

You are more than entitled to your opinion.

Personally, I think what he writes is solid gold gospel. The only way non-violence works is when everyone in society agrees to the same terms. If they all lay their weapons down, the first guy to pick them back up will have an overwhelming advantage.

“I’m not inclined to apply anything he has written to real life. I know absolutely nothing about the author and searched his name.”

Translation: I don’t know beans about him and, having never read a word of his, I wouldn’t apply anything he has said to a real life situation…

Erm… okay? I guess… If that makes sense to you, then ROWYBS… however, it makes zero sense to me – kind of like me saying “Who is this Jesus person anyways? Never heard of him or this alleged “New Testament” stuff. And even though I’ve never read it, I don’t like anything he said regardless… “

————————————————————————

“This is one of the things that came up. (link) “Jack Donovan is gay, and it has genuinely fucked him up.”

Because everything on the Internet is true, right?

“Rather I should say he has reacted in one of the most dysfunctional ways imaginable as a homosexual male living in a culture that unfortunately often does not regard him as a man. He has become obsessed with proving that he is. And you can see it dripping from nearly every line he writes in nearly every one of his articles.”

Ah, the old “You don’t like homosexuals, so you must be one” argument, only turned on it’s ear. Yep. Heard that one plenty. But, you’ve seemed to have made up your mind about Mr. Donovan before having read any of his work and seem inclined to believe the worst scribblings out there without verifying anything…

So be it.

You read what you want. I’ll read what I want. If you have an author you like and who can counter Mr. Donovan’s points instead of ad hominem attacks, as well as putting forth good info that can be applied to a real world situation, by all means, post away…

Tolik
    Tolik
    Survivalist
    member10

I have to agree with Whirl on that one , Humans cant be trusted , we would like to think we are above natures laws , but in the end , we are animals to . The best deterrent to violence is the threat of overwhelming violence . Predators have a strong self preservation instinct , and when shown that they will come to bodily harm or death , they suddenly become civilized , and obey a societies rules to avoid it . But thats not enough , you not only have to show that you are capable of it , but more importantly , absolutely willing to do it ……..then you have their attention . Human nature will undo all things ……….that is also why one world order , one world government will fail ……..that only works in Star Trek .

Malgus
    Malgus
    Survivalist
    member8

@ 74,

I read that screed you linked to.

ALL OF IT, completely unsubstantiated slander. It is written, obviously, by some homosexual Beta male who doesn’t like Mr. Donovan, nor his writings.

Only instead of rebutting the points Mr. Donovan makes, he resorts to ad hominem attacks. He offers no proof whatsoever – just hurls accusations because, in his pea brain, accusing Mr. Donovan – who admittedly does not like homosexuals – of being a homosexual seems – to him – to be the worst insult he can think up…

It is as I said in my last post – just the “You don’t like homosexuals, so you must be one” argument, only rewarmed over for the zillionth time. Only this time by some Beta male with a blog…

I don’t happen to like homosexuals either. I’ve referred to them using some pretty colorful language because what they do disgusts me to the core… That does not make me one.

This —> “I have long been of the opinion that you should never trust anyone who puts and adjective in front of man, manhood or masculinity. Because every time you hear that, what you are really hearing is control, and never by people that should be entrusted with power over inanimate objects, much less human beings. Graveyards are full of men who failed to understand this.”

News flash. Times have changed. People have not.

Let’s turn the spotlight on Mr. Beta.

No matter what this Beta thinks about ‘control’, sooner or later someone – usually a male – will rise to lead (this means CONTROL) his particular group/tribe/country. Mr. Beta also apparently does not like to be judged by other males in the group. Too bad. Being judged by other males – and being found worthy – is how human males establish themselves in male culture. It’s just the way it is and always has been. Being judged by other males in my group – in this case, soldiers – and found worthy of inclusion and respect is how I measure my worth in life.

Mr. Beta seems to think that if he is judged by other males in the group, he might be found not worthy of inclusion into the group…

And he’s right. But, that’s his problem. Not mine.

Malgus
    Malgus
    Survivalist
    member8

Selco,

“Simply, violence is sometimes necessary”

Absolutely.

I hear individuals of various stations in life say things like “Violence never solved anything”.

This is a blatant lie. This country was founded in violence. So was yours. Violence – and the threat of violence – is used to defend country, hearth, home and loved ones, not to mention yourself. Violence is used to obtain food – ie: the shooting and killing of game animals or, in the case of cattle, pigs, etc, they are either clubbed in the head with a sledgehammer or shot behind the ear with a bolt.

In a SHTF scenario, you can’t stand there and say “If you take my stuff, kidnap my wife and children and burn my house down, I’m really not going to like you!”… What will that accomplish? Someone shows up with the intention of stealing your stuff, kidnapping your wife and children and burning down your house, you shoot the bastard and anyone with him…

People don’t pay taxes out of the goodness of their hearts. They pay their taxes because if they don’t, lots of men dressed like ninjas and armed to the teeth will show up in REALLY BIG TRUCKS, kick their way into the house, clap you in hand irons and drag you off to the Stoney Lonesome… if you resist, well, those guns are not just for show… resist, and they will kill you.

Look at Ferguson. The mob rampaged because the police removed the threat of violence. Compounding that fact was that no store or home owner who had their livelihood burned to the ground and destroyed bothered to stand up for themselves and defend what was theirs with force – violence and the threat of violence. The police were not going to do anything, and the mob treated them with contempt – rampaging and burning until they got tired..

Violence is necessary sometimes… people who have no problem wielding it when required shouldn’t be excoriated or looked down upon…

Profile photo of MountainBiker
    MountainBiker
    Survivalist
    member10

Never heard of Donovan but you guys have got me curious as to what he is espousing. When I have a chance I look him up.

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

Malgus, Scree, maybe but it matters little. I’m not looking for someone else to reaffirm my masculinity or define it for anyone else. It a puerile pursuit in the scheme of things.

Profile photo of tweva
    tweva
    Survivalist
    rreallife

Stoney Lonesome? Love it Malgus.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 31 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.