Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of freedom
    freedom
    Survivalist
    rnews

Springfield Armory XDS 3.3” or 4.0 was voted number one. I think that the smaller .45s are a little hard to handle. What do you guys think?

http://www.gunsamerica.com/blog/top-5-45s-concealed-carry/

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

Free, They definitely have a sharper recoil than the full size guns. But I don’t think they are unmanageable. I have a Firestar in 40 S&W that has a bit more felt recoil then the 45acp and it’s not uncomfortable to shoot.

As a comparison shooting a small frame 357 mag revolver with self defense loads wants to jump out of your hand, not so of the 45acp.

Profile photo of freedom
    freedom
    Survivalist
    rnews

OK I have a 357 mag revolver so you think the smaller frame .45acp will be the same or easier? If so then it is manageable.

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

To me it’s about the grip design more than anything else. If it fits your hand well you will be good with it.

Profile photo of matt76
    matt76
    Survivalist
    member8

Reliably and fit are the 2 biggest factors in selecting an EDC concealed carry gun. If it doesn’t fit your hands or the recoil is more than you can handle you will not be as accurate with your shots. Fit makes it a little difficult to say this one is better than that one across the board. I personally carry a compact 1911. I like the relatively slim lines and like the trigger better than polymer guns. A lot of the polymer guns don’t have safety buttons on the side of the gun, instead it is built into the trigger or has a long trigger travel before it fires to prevent accidental discharge. I have a friend who is a police officer tell me about a call he responded to about a pit bull. The dog charged him and he drew his weapon. He was squeezing the trigger as the dog came at him. By the time the gun went off the dog was only a few feet away and crumpled sliding to a stop at his feet. He told me all he remebers thinking was go off, Go Off, GO OFF while he squeezed the trigger. That is why I like a single action trigger. It does take some practice as mentioned in the article but I just like it better.

Robin
    Robin
    Survivalist
    member8

I once was thinking about a XDM in a 3.5 frame. I wanted a EDC in 45 caliber but not the huge 1911 style. Well, a couple of years passed and I ran across an article about Rock Island Armory’s 3.5 inch bull barrel 1911. I have qualified Marksman with the GI 45 and liked the feel. The RI single stack 3.5 inch gave the same fit to my hand without the weight of a full frame. I changed my shooting stance to a “Weaver Style” as I found myself “pushing” the gun while shooting. I now shoot that way with all my handguns.
    Robin

Whirlibird
    Whirlibird
    Survivalist
    member10

The XDm and Glock 36 bath have too thin of a profile for me.
    A quick comparison of both with my G30 left me considerably more content with my choice so many years ago.

For years I carried a Detonics Combat Master, still the best compact 1911 outside the high end customs. Size and weight are subjective. I prefer the steel framed compact 1911s to the aluminum versions, the added weight meaning little with a good belt and holster but counting for a lot on the target range.

One thing too many people forget is that the compacts and subcompacts are more touchy to grip and ammo than the full size guns. Personally, my preference in a 1911 is a Commander sized gun. Still large, its more reliable than most of the compacts and eminently more controlable and useful.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.