Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    Whirlibird
    Whirlibird
    Survivalist
    member10

For many of us, a small game rifle means only one thing, a .22.

However even the .22 has its limitations and negatives.
    For example, the noise. Fire a rifle, even a .22 and you attract attention. It is loud enough, and at the wrong times will make the neighbors stand up and look.

Quiet or subsonic loads help, but the truly quiet loads are almost below acceptable power levels, almost.

So what is a person to do?

There are actually several options, the first being cartridge adapters. A good adapter costs @$30 but what you save in standard cartridges makes up for that quick.

My favorite adapter is a .308/.32acp model. The little 72 grain bullet actually makes less noise than a .22 rifle, but with nearly twice the mass to the bullet, it does hit harder. Substantially so.

The handy part of this is out in the hunting fields, you can carry a loaded adapter with you and when you desire you can shoot small game animals with your hunting rifle. And I have yet to see a big game animal scared off by one. You can keep your camp pot well stocked this way.

Combining the adapter with hand loads, you can come up with scary level quiet with surprising power.

Secondly, we have handload’s for your favorite rifle. with a little research, experimentation and curiosity one can make a small families for everything.
    Even the AK can be downloaded to make it even more useful, it’s just a manual operating gun at that point.

And lastly, specialty firearms.
    Over the years there have been many odd firearms that don’t seem to fit, such as the Marlin 1894 .32 Magnum levergun, and while it was designed for the cowboy action crowd, it has the capability to take great amounts of game. Loaded with a.32 S&W round, it’s nearly silent when fired. Again, careful handloading can reduce this even more.
    Shove a .32 Long in the chamber and you have a .22 level of noise with a lot more power.
    Use the .32 Magnum round and coyotes beware. Heavy handloads and even deer are possible.

One doesn’t need an antique style gun and cartridge such as the .32-20 or .25-20 to get good results. One friend has a .45acp rifle, a bolt action built with a 26″ barrel. Originally a .308 rifle with a bulged barrel, it got a new barrel fit and an adapter made for it to handle the .45’s and a magazine.

With factory ammo it’s surprisingly quiet but powerful.
    But with handloads it’s even more quiet and will knock things down out of all proportion to it’s paper numbers.

All of these guns add a level of versatility to daily life that a .22 can’t match. And they’re all reloadable.

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

In my state curent law restricts small gameto 22LR or shotgun. Can’t see any reasonable justification for the rule, it just is.

Profile photo of matt76
    matt76
    Survivalist
    member8

A friend of mine gave me one of those for my 30-06. I honestly forgot about it until you made this post. I think I will go get some .32s and try it out. The idea of a legal low noise round with a little punch sounds great. Thanks Whirli.

Whirlibird
    Whirlibird
    Survivalist
    member10

I’ve kept one around for years, kept it handy in the patrol car for when I didn’t want to wake the neighborhood at 3am.

Right now I’m shooting a hand load using a 110gr bullet that’s even quieter than factory ammo but more reliably gets into a deer skull.

Profile photo of RSSwizard
    RSSwizard
    Survivalist
    member3

Ive got some solid suggestions on weapons like these.
    The .32 adapter for a 308 is absolutely brilliant.

Ive always felt that the .32acp or some subsonic variant of the 7.65mm TT should have been the commercial equivalent of the .22. But history is full of alot of should-haves.

What I always tell people about getting a Ruger 10/22 or another .22 plinking rifle is . . .

Dont

Spend $50-100 more and get an S&W 22A or another similar .22 caliber Target Pistol. Then put a scope on it, a cheap one which is 3-6x and doesnt need a battery (no red dot). At the short range you have with that bullet you can reliably hit a small critter, which you can get within 50 yards of anyway. And if its a squirrel, possum, or cat up in a tree then thats like shooting fish in a barrel.

Why? Because it weighs 3 pounds or less, it can fit in a backpack or a bag (a rifle has to be slung), and you can shoot at point blank range if you have to. And it holds 10 shots.

Another suggestion ive given is 9x19mm can be used on small game with a subsonic (147gr) round. Its always good to try for a headshot but the lower velocity on it will cause little meat loss.

I gave that suggestion along with a $500 gun, one of the Masterpiece Arms uzi-lookalike weapons. Because you can get a barrel extension for improved velocity, and it has 30-35 round mags standard.
    (I suggest that over a Glock because it can still be used up close, and with a 30+ round mag you can just give a triple tap as your default reaction)

As for the Sound a gun makes, forget about getting a suppressor and all the spaghetti red tape associated with it. They dont quiet the gun down that much. The simulated sound in movies for a suppressor is indoors where it just makes a pop or snap and you could barely hear it down the hall. Outdoors unfortunately the sound will still carry.

If you’re worried about making noise then you have to switch your position quickly. If anyone comes looking then you’re already gone.

Same goes for doing long range/sniping against people, take 1-3 shots and just get up and move to another spot, you avoid retaliation, avoid being flanked, and can continue to flank the people you’re trying to shoot (and possibly shoot a flanker who’s on the way to intercept you too). They dont know where its coming from and they waste a ton of ammo trying to get you, meanwhile they do the dying dance.

Profile photo of undeRGRönd
    undeRGRönd
    Survivalist
    member8

Whirli, more specifics would be great!
    I have seen some info on quiet shooting, and have given thought to a 300 blackout/whisper upper for the AR. But those are most effective with a can… I’d like to see noise levels with a longer barrel.

"ROGUE ELECTRICIAN" Hoping to be around to re-energize the New World.....

Cogito, ergo armatus sum

Profile photo of freedom
    freedom
    Survivalist
    rnews

Whirlibird, I also would like more specifics like undeRGRond. Shooting quietly is a very interesting subject for the city in a SHTF times. I have the .22lr rifles but would love to be able to shoot larger ammo.

Profile photo of sledjockey
    sledjockey
    Bushcrafter
    member8

I have a suggestion. …… Pellet gun. I take rabbits, squirrels, and the occasional opossum right out of my front yard and neighborhood park. The whisper models are perfect and are barely able to be heard.

Might cause you to carry multiple systems, but pellet guns are much better than they used to be when I was a kid.

http://ageofdecadence.com

Profile photo of Brulen
    Brulen
    Survivalist
    member9

The thing you always come back to with a .22 are lightweight and is it backpackable. One i’ve been interested in for a while now is the Henry survival rifle. It breaks down, its light and it floats. Not totally waterproof but maybe with some silicone the leaks will be fixed. At least it won’t sink if it gets dropped overboard while i’m out kayaking.

The 9mm Masterpiece Arms option is very practical. Available as a pistol there’s a 16 inch upper that has a scope rail. Its one of the most adaptable guns ever produced. All kinds of parts and accessories. A really simple design. But I wouldn’t reload for it. Very good fmj ammo only, well crimped. The raccoons will scatter in every direction when the see it. House clearing gun. But might as well be a boat anchor for me. lol

Profile photo of freedom
    freedom
    Survivalist
    rnews

Brulen the Ruger 10/22 take down is very good option too! http://www.ruger.com/products/1022Takedown/models.html

Whirlibird
    Whirlibird
    Survivalist
    member10

RSSWizard: Several things, first the barrel “extensions” do nothing to. increase velocity or range. And bluntly the MPA guns are not accurate enough for small game at any range, they’re a squirt gun.
    Unless you are talking about one other 16″ barrel models, and then we’re back to a gun that must be slung, and a folding stock AK makes more sense.

The Glock you mentioned can also have a red dot or scope added, has a 33 round magazine available and is light enough and concealable enough to be tucked away. Plus they are much more accurate, I have taken small game with them before.

The 22A, pass. The Ruger Mk series or a Browning Buckmark yes.
    Too many little fiddly parts that have issues in the 22a.

More on the subsonics when I’m on my computer not a tablet.

Profile photo of undeRGRönd
    undeRGRönd
    Survivalist
    member8

Subsonics: KEWL
    ThanX Whirli!

We are experiencing huge thread drift here…

"ROGUE ELECTRICIAN" Hoping to be around to re-energize the New World.....

Cogito, ergo armatus sum

Profile photo of namelus
    namelus
    Survivalist
    member7

why waste ammo you can use a sling shot https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FTCCSMOz3-o
    no noise and for small game it is very effective save the ammo for bigger game, no noise reusable or make able ammo for $5 or stuff you have around the house great for kids to help out, just give them bunny busters( rounded impact heads) no hunting tips it is as much skill as aiming a rifle you cna learn in 20 mins enough to get small game.

you can get carbon fiber arrows for $5 each

with .22 you can get up to a mule deer if you are a good shot why shoot a rabbit or small game bird and expend the round on a meal of .1 lb meat compared to 50+lb?

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

Namelus,
    The first reason would be that I can hit it with a 22 and probably miss or not get a kill shot with the sligshot.

Profile photo of freedom
    freedom
    Survivalist
    rnews

I can’t hit anything with a slingshot!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.