Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    Malgus
    Malgus
    Survivalist
    member8

I usually don’t post here. I’m not a very good Christian, and I know it. I’m a wretch…

Heard this the other day… most folks know it from the movie “Cold Mountain”. It’s a song called “Idumea” sung in a method called “The Sacred Harp” – no instruments.

Sacred Harp is primarily a Southern Appalachian style, but itself was derived from an earlier style brought from New England via those hearty Scots/Irish and German settlers who first made their way into this dark and bloody land 200+ years ago…

The lyrics themselves echo an even earlier time, with some Sacred Harp songs dating back to the mid-16th century… more’s the pity we have let such music lapse and be forgotten…

The history behind the music aside, I heard this the other day and… well, the weight of everything became too much. … it drove me to my knees and I wept uncontrollably for a good 15 minutes…

And am I born to die?
    To lay this body down!
    And must my trembling spirit fly
    Into a world unknown?
    A land of deepest shade,
    Unpierced by human thought
    The dreary regions of the dead,
    Where all things are forgot.
    Soon as from earth I go
    What will become of me?
    Eternal happiness or woe,
    Must then my portion be!
    Waked by the trumpet sound,
    I from my grave shall rise;
    And see the Judge with glory crowned,
    And see the flaming skies!

The Cold Mountain version…

The wicked flee when none pursueth..." - Proverbs 28:1

Malgus
    Malgus
    Survivalist
    member8

For my Daddy…. I miss you, pap-pap…

A Christian’s Farewell.

Brethren, farewell,
    I do you tell,
    I’m sorry to leave,
    I love you so well.
    Now I must go,
    where I don’t know,
    Wherever Christ leads me
    the trumpet to blow.

Here I have worked,
    labored awhile,
    But labor is sweet
    if Jesus doth smile.
    When I am done,
    I will go home
    Where Jesus is smiling
    and bids me to come.

Tolik
    Tolik
    Survivalist
    member10

I was forced to go see Cold Mountain by my Ex , painful experience . I got her back by making her see LOTR with me . She liked that about as much as I liked her Chick flick .

Malgus
    Malgus
    Survivalist
    member8

You mean “painful” as in you didn’t like the movie?

Or ‘painful’ seeing our country torn to pieces, people being predatory and savage to their neighbors, folks starving to death, the brutality of Man… that kind of painful? The Siege of Vicksburg/Battle of the Crater made me want to throw up…. and I’ve seen some heinous sh*^ in my day…

The book blew me away. I read it before seeing the movie.

The movie was pretty good. Nominated for something like 7 Academy Awards… it wasn’t meant to have a happy ending…

Profile photo of MountainBiker
    MountainBiker
    Survivalist
    member10

I’m glad you found some comfort/release in the music. It is good for the soul to let go every now and then.

I like the soulfulness of traditional Southern music. We don’t really have what I’d call traditional music here in New England. I wish we did. The English up here were kind of a dour lot and though the French and Irish weren’t, a regional/ethnic style didn’t emerge after they arrived either.

We never had much in the way of Scots/Irish or Germans up here. I think those groups mostly migrated directly to the Southern States from Europe, though sometimes coming in via Pennsylvania.

Malgus
    Malgus
    Survivalist
    member8

Tolik,

Cold Mountain wasn’t a “chick flick”.

It was a retelling of the story of Odysseus… solider at war, far from home, must make his way back, being waylaid by brigands, temptations, ambushes, bad fortune, etc.

Whereas Odysseus returned home in triumph and wins back his house, Inman returns home just in time to save the love of his life, but gives his life in the process…

MountainBiker
    Survivalist
    member10

I never saw the movie on account I read the book. When I read a really good book like that I never watch the movie because I’m usually disappointed. There have been a couple notable exceptions however. Being it’s been a very long time since I read the book I suppose I can see the movie at this point because I’ve surely forgotten much of the detail in the book.

Tolik
    Tolik
    Survivalist
    member10

No , painfully slow , I was bored . I like a good civil war movie as well , having Confederate ancestry ………..but not all are good . Prefer the old clint eastwood movies to that . It was a chick flick to me .

Malgus
    Malgus
    Survivalist
    member8

MB,

I’m not given much to sentimentality… but the rawness, the power of that music is undeniable. It caught me off guard…

The loss of my father, the coming troubles – and the bloodshed that will come with them, the uncertainty… it all weighs heavy.

Today, we were offered a bit of respite… succor and relief for the first time in a long time. Years. I’ve gotten so used to facing things with grim determination and gallows humor, I really didn’t know how to take our stroke of good fortune… “gobsmacked” would be a good adjective…

So, I decided to give Him praise, in my own way… one does not answer good fortune with bad grace. Be thankful for what you’re given…

Profile photo of Brulen
    Brulen
    Survivalist
    member9

I was forced to go see Cold Mountain by my Ex , painful experience . I got her back by making her see LOTR with me . She liked that about as much as I liked her Chick flick .

Im with you Tolik. MEGO Being a one dimensional human being has its advantages at times.

Tolik
    Tolik
    Survivalist
    member10

LOL . to each their own , I liked the civil war scenes , but heres the deal with me , I’m actually a pretty good hearted man , but I dont like romances on screen . If the romance was historically based on real people , and not fictitious …………..I might be able to suffer through it , if I was interested in one of the historical figures , but in all honesty , I cant think of one in that respect . I go to movies to be entertained , Romances have their place , but the fact is , that venues following are mostly women . That venue does not interest me in the least , and go out of my way to avoid watching one . Just Sayin .

Malgus , I get what your saying , strong vocalists are indeed inspiring .

Malgus
    Malgus
    Survivalist
    member8

Tolik,

I get what you’re saying re: the romance thing. I’m sort of that way as well.

But I didn’t focus on that – the troubles and near-starvation, even for folks living on a farm, for those of us in the South – especially the Appalachian mountains, was unbelievable. And I live right in the middle of that country, surrounded by the descendents of the people who lived it, so how the farms were set up, how they were run pre-electrification and what they had to do to make it during a time of war and hardship was very interesting to me…

Mr. Lincoln’s cowardly blockade choked the life out of us. Things we were used to just disappeared. People were so desperate for just simple salt, they were reduced to pulling up the floorboards in their smoke houses and boiling them to get the salt out. Coffee was a distant memory. When the Yankees came though, it got even worse – anything that wasn’t nailed down was either stolen or burned, the livestock stolen or shot and left to rot, crops trampled by cavalry or burned.

In the movie, when they found the lone forgotten 50 pound sack of unroasted, green coffee beans… by that point in the war, it might as well have been a 50 pound bag of gold coins. A family’s very survival might have hinged on such a chance find during the war… after 4 years of drinking chicory, what would someone trade for a few ounces of genuine coffee? And they had 50 pounds of it.

After the War, we had to live under the thumb of the hated Yankee during Reconstuction and afterwards.. there was no “Marshal Plan” to help rebuild the South. The effects of the War are still being felt, even to this day. Not far from where I’m sitting right now, there is a statue on the courthouse lawn that depicts a Civil War soldier – it says “To Our Confederate Dead” at the bottom. Not 10 miles from that statue is the site of a Yankee fort – the site of several desperate battles to expel the hated Yankee.

If you listen to the music, Idumea almost sounds like a funeral dirge… a forlorn, heartfelt appeal to Heaven for relief at the utmost end of need… and given what’s coming down on us – soon – you understand my interest in The Sacred Harp

MountainBiker
    Survivalist
    member10

OK Malgus, now you’ve really piqued my interest in seeing the movie. That or read the book again. The Civil War was fought in the way all wars were fought up through WWII….all out and to win. My mother-in-law was born in NC and grew up in SC. Her family goes back to colonial days mostly in VA, NC, & SC. I have a letter one of her 1st cousins sent me when he was in his 80’s telling me the story of when the Yankees came to his grandfather’s farm when his grandfather was just a kid. The grandfather told him the story when he was a kid. Powerful and heart wrenching. A local creek there is named after one of their slaves who drowned. He jumped in the water to sooth his wounds after being whipped by the soldiers for refusing to tell them where the valuables were hidden. They didn’t realize that the slave was deaf & mute. As noted the other day I also have the 1st hand account of my father-in-law’s g.g.grandfather’s horrific abuse by the Confederates after being taken prisoner. Both sides committed what would be considered war crimes today. Most towns have a memorial of some sort to their Civil War dead too.

I don’t know how well you know your Civil War history but J.W. Tucker, “The Boat Burner” was one of my mother-in-law’s close relatives. When the war ended and a general amnesty was granted he and his group weren’t granted amnesty and had to flee the country. He went to Bermuda for a few years until a pardon was finally issued and he could return to the US.

Malgus
    Malgus
    Survivalist
    member8

Why isn’t my reply to MB showing up?

Malgus
    Malgus
    Survivalist
    member8

I’ve tried three times to post to MB, and it won’t go through… it tells me “duplicate post”, but no post is visible…

I will wait and see if it shows up… if not, then I have to retype it or shorten it or something…

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.