Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 50 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

Toby,
    I’m sorry, I geuss we are not discussing the same situation. I hadn’t been refering to anything in the current tense.

Profile photo of tweva
    tweva
    Survivalist
    rreallife

It was about 3:15 in the morning. Monthly ‘cramps’ that were painful had me in a semi-sleep of ‘pain’. We were ‘poor’. There was no money to run the a/c unit. To be able to attempt to sleep in S FL in August w/out a/c – that meant some open window just to be able to breath.

I was raised in a wealthy suburb of a major NE city. Parents divorce turned my and siblings world upside down. I
    was never into fashion. Dress was polo shirts, jeans and boots – no makeup kind of person. The reality of my former life clashed with our wealthy father’s need to ‘punish’ his former wife. 1970. First ‘family’ I ever knew to become ‘divorced.

Hauled off to S FL where our mother had family. Sounded like a fairy tale I am sure for what she had just got thru – with 4 kids – (sun, fun etc) …judge gave her $10/wk support for each kid. Four kids, My father, even then, a very wealthy man. . President of a Fortune 500 company. Whatever. So…

When my world was abruptly changed.. and was hauled off to S FL from a wealthy suburb of a major city – life changed big time. Went from 3 persons of color in my entire high school in 9th grade to a high school painted ‘pink’ and the advanced classes I was far beyond and one of the ‘minority’. The ’70’s. Remember that. First day of new high school someone approached me and asked if I needed protection. TOTALLY outside my frame of reference. Anyway, ended up buying a switchblade from this person/leader of gosh knows what, to ‘try and fit in’ in this alien environment'(I saw it as an attempt to not be a future target by ‘making friends’ maybe?)

A short few years later I awoke with a hand on my crotch, sat straight up in bed, looked in a nano second; saw a clean cut, white guy half in/half out of my window above my bed. This is when I ‘knew’ for certain there is a ‘God’, someone who runs the world outside my puny conception of the world. In a nano second it seems of seeing this stranger, his hands on me…I sat straight up in bed and screamed ‘Get the hell out of here you ****!’. Where that came from,I believe now, was whomever runs the world (‘God” if you want) –I have no other idea. How did I go from sleep to awake and screaming when I was in total shock? I watched as in slow motion as the man tried to back out of the window and smacked his head on the window frame. (He had removed the screen and several 12′ pots from the window ledge all without my becoming awake due to, I believe the mild painkillers I was had been taking by doctors advice on due to cramps)

That switchblade I had bought a few years previous in vane attempt ‘to fit in’ – had always been with me since that time. It was so strange in my mind then to be offered to buy one I figured it was a sign of some sort to follow – what can I say?) I reached over and grabbed it off bedside stand (don’t remember doing it really) and must have flicked it open. The Rottweiler I had juts the week or more before, adopted from a Rottweiler rescue group was, meantime, throwing herself full force at the closed bedroom door, snarling and barking so loud — in all my mind was just overcome.

Still in shock I watched, as if in slow motion as this stranger, clean-cut white dude, plunged his upper body back through the window. The cheap switchblade now open in my hand, sitting on my bed with sheets/blankets from knees down… the Rottweiler screaming her frustrations as she lunged at the door repeatedly…. I noticed as if in a dream the knife in the mans hand as he managed to get a knee hold onto the window opening.

A total blank to this very day 30 plus years later. what exactly I ‘did’. Result was man was blind, no end of nose, face was ‘filleted’ according to police report. My very short time friend Rottweiler, – she accounted for the man ending up losing his hand and then some, after she finally managed to break through hollow core door. I did not know when I ‘rescued’ or adopted her, that her ‘shutzshund’ training was reason she was given away to rescue group.

Practice I am sure would make someone’s participation in a knife fight more efficient and deadly. But, adrenaline and abject fear, — and shock … I would not like to be in enough such situations with knives that I could rationally think in nano seconds of time what my next move should be. Whomever runs the world, I knew for sure that night, exists – and looks after me – and you as well. And, by the grace of that entity…I adopted this dog when I had doubts I could even feed her short weeks before. I am alive only because of that – and my abject fear at the time.

BTW one of the police men knew of such shutzhund training and managed to control my dog after some time. Taught me German words to ‘control’ her, make her sit, stay etc. I owe my life to that beautiful animal and we had many happy years together before she passed in her sleep beside my bed on the floor. I miss her still.

That is one 5o something woman’s knowledge of knife fights FWIW.

Tolik
    Tolik
    Survivalist
    member10

WoW , the guy must have been on drugs or mentally ill , most would run at the first sign of a guard dog .

Whirlibird
    Whirlibird
    Survivalist
    member10

Now I’m missing my old Rott.

My current Lab, also a rescue of sorts, is the first anti-social Lab I’ve run across.
    Loves us, tolerates others, will absolutely come unglued if someone tries to come in that wasn’t brought in.

Aa to a pigsticker, for fighting I like a full tang design with a heavy blade. Something like a Cold Steel Trailmaster or the old Gerber Aussie Bowie. Big enough to give you some distance, enough weight that it will cleave/remove appendages, and a strike from the blade back can break bone if you need to use it as such.

In a smaller design, the Benchmade Nimvramus is what I’ve carried and used for years, keeping it behind a few items on my duty belt as well as carrying it hunting for nearly 15 years. Light, dynamic and despite the thinness of the blade, extremely sturdy.
    I’d like to impress you with tales of derring-do and its use, but alas its only cut up a mess of deer and elk, one gas line on a runaway engine and one seatbelt after a rollover crash. I’m highly partial to the half serrated design after all these years.

My grandfather, a vet of WWII and Korea gave me some advice about knife fighting.
    1: Shoot them before they are close enough to cut or stab you.
    2: If you have to use a knife, take chunks off. Stabbing is for fencers and icepick killers, use the blade to slice, hack and remove chunks wherever you can. Fingers, hands, nerves, anywhere you will effect something. Make em bleed and hurt, they might decide to quit.

Leopard
    Leopard
    Survivalist
    member8

To learn a new skill like fighting with a knife or defending yourself against an attacker you will need to practice certain movements slowly and then faster and then under pressure but still resulting in the capability of responding effectively. It often involves improving the smoothness and accuracy of movements and is obviously necessary for complicated movements; but it is also important for calibrating simple movements like reflexes, as parameters of the body and environment change.
    Knife skills already learned and sensitivity of error-detection and strength of movement plays a role. Repetitive learning is “relatively permanent”, as the capability to respond appropriately is acquired and retained. As a result, … If you give the knife back to you attacker every time, after disarming him- you might just do the same one day while being attacked for real. (You gave the knife back to your training partner after every movement to practice again)!?
    The processes that affect behavior during practice should be considered for optimal information retention.

Toby C
    Toby C
    Survivalist
    member6

No apologies needed. A core idea, I think, of this type of forum is to share thoughts, discuss and debate topics and identify similarities AND differences in circumstances and scenarios depending on where you are located, amongst other things. I would be terrified if we all agreed about everything all the time.

Going back to my prev. post, even though in the future I may well be far more wary of letting people within a certain distance of me, I can still visualise multiple scenarios where it would still be necessary or next to impossible to avoid. Or if I was insistent that I was going to tell everyone to ‘back off’ I’m actually escalating the situation and raising the threat level by my actions, this becomes increasingly relevant if I am dealing across cultural borders.

Some more good info. on weapon disarms (and problems therein) here:

http://www.nononsenseselfdefense.com/weapondisarms.htm

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

For all,
    In US cities street hoods hide a knife in a thin roll of news paper. This way the hood can carry the knife in his hand and not expose his intent to the unwary victim. The knife can be used for stabing while it remains in the paper. This has happened to me 3 times.

The common ploy of asking for money for food, so you get your wallet out is used in conjuction with the hidden weapon. Just say no and keep moving, if they follow or keep talking keep moving. Do not talk to them or just say no. Go into the nearest busy building, one with security is best. Have your hand on your gun if you are allowed to carry in your state.

Profile photo of freedom
    freedom
    Survivalist
    rnews

tweva, What a story. I also think God was with you that day. My father lost his home in 1980’s so I went though something like that. Losing everything is hard on kids. Your story reminds me that we all need to remember our dogs and save food for them.

Hannah
    Hannah
    Survivalist
    member6

Tweva, what an incredible story! So glad you defended yourself, and had your dog. God was definitely watching over you.

Profile photo of tweva
    tweva
    Survivalist
    rreallife

Hannah and Freedom thank you for your comments.

The point of the story was in the context of the topic title, ‘The Reality of a Knife Attack’. The story related my first experience of a knife attack. The rest was background with a few details that hopefully should make others think. Knife attacks are much more physical I think than attacks with say a gun. They also put you much closer physically to another human.

You smell them, you later are reminded by odd facts your brain registered in the background – like the color of their eyes, the presence of some identifying physical characteristic. And, it is bloody and you get the blood all over you, your hand, your face, in your eyes impeding your sight; that is – if you are successful in somehow connecting your knife with your opponent. It is a much different sort of ‘war’ with another than aiming and pulling the trigger on a gun.It is much more ‘personal’. Even if your knife is very sharp it can take more strength than you realize at the time to grip that knife and use it with enough force to penetrate a human body deeply and to contort yourself repeatedly to simply avoid yourself being sliced up.

Huh. course if you are skilled I am sure you could be trained to keep your wits enough and have the knowledge of where on another’s body to attack first to the best, quickest disabling result. I was not so fortunate. Chances are many, even on this forum won’t be either. You can read about what to do, but unless you have practiced and practiced of course it won’t mean a damn thing when it may happen to you – someone pulling a knife on you. Adrenaline, fear, the survival instinct screams to the forefront and you just act best you can.

The choice of a knife of a weapon of choice to me says something about that person.

Profile photo of freedom
    freedom
    Survivalist
    rnews

tweva, There is a place for a knife and a place for a gun. A knife is very personal kill, it is easy to hide and not noisy. If used right it can be a fast kill, neck cuts.

Profile photo of tweva
    tweva
    Survivalist
    rreallife

Exactly Freedom ..Which for me..is the biggest thing to avoid. But, I am a woman, Men, I know seem e to thrive or be interested in this sort of thing. My experience was, quite simply, a horror I will never forget.I truly hope your wives and girlfriends never experience….mine. You all have an influence in that if you are a man…by being aware of the different threats your loved one lives with…that as a an, generally, you don’t.

Profile photo of osagemarine
    osagemarine
    Survivalist
    member3

Tweva, thank you for sharing your story.

Profile photo of Danie Theron
    Danie Theron
    Survivalist
    member3

Freedom, you are right in that it is personal. However, my experience is they are highly violent and messy. There is a lot of noise, thrashing and crashing about, and many times do not result in a fatality. It ends up being just a bloody mess and attack and not a killing.

I have never seen or heard about any real world operational circumstance where someone sneaks up on a sentry from behind with a knife and silently kills them. I have also spoken with individuals from other countries where I thought it might be possible to have happened. They also had not heard of a documented case in their area.

The only silent killing I have seen done with a knife was in a video of prisoners who were passive being decapitated with a knife.

Usually, if the victim is able to struggle and fight at all in a knife attack – it is no longer a quiet affair.

Just my thoughts and I realize, I certainly have not seen everything. There may very well be times when knife killing could be quick and silent – I just haven’t run across them yet.

Profile photo of freedom
    freedom
    Survivalist
    rnews

Danie Theron, I also think that it is a noisy kill. That kill with no noise only happens in the movies. A gun is also noisy so there is not a silent killer even if you do a head shot you still have the noise of the shot. That is way I like 22lr for the city. But remember that if we have a very long SHTF then ammo may run out so you need to have some very good knifes.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 50 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.