Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 50 total)
  • Author
    Selco
    Selco
    Survivalist
    member6

Good video!
    Fighting with a guy who have knife is one of the scariest things that you can do, of course if you fight with the guy who REALLY wants to stab you.
    And lot of people do not have what it takes to stab someone, it requires some kind of attitude or mind to do that.
    Traditionally here people use knives pretty much in fights, there is something traditional in that, and also reason for that is because laws about guns, so knives are something that everyone can have.
    And another funny fact is that most of the knife fights here are happening with simple kitchen knives, or knives for meat or similar.

When guy pull knife on you, and approach closer then 5-6 meters you either run or put him down ( having gun make sense, and yea, I suggest that you put him down ).
    Yea, I have seen some knife fights, and there is maybe (probably) effective technique for defense against knife, but having gun ready is best for me.

Malgus
    Malgus
    Survivalist
    member8

Selco,

The only guy I ever knew who was good at knife fighting was a close friend of mine when I was stationed in Europe. He studied Escrima his whole life, and was very, very good with a blade.

He told me there is only one rule in a knife fight – if you get in a knife fight, you will get cut. Best resign yourself to that right now.

The wicked flee when none pursueth..." - Proverbs 28:1

Profile photo of freedom
    freedom
    Survivalist
    rnews

Selco, My Father has always told me if you pull out a gun or knife it is to use it point, so the problem with a knife if the one that is ready to use it will pull it about two to three feet away from you so not much time to pull a gun.

When I have to use a knife I do not show my hand till I am close to you.

Selco
    Selco
    Survivalist
    member6

From some things you can not defend unless you be always on constant alert. When SHTF it is another reason why it is not like some people imagine it, you simply do not know who is potential enemy.

Even today there is need for constant scanning your surroundings for possible threats, here it is usually street robberies with knife.
    If someone wants to approach to me in my “personal circle” in some situations (night time, suspicious circumstances etc.) I would definitely try to stand different than usual, knife or no knife in his hands.

I have used knife in fight, in real conditions, and my moves were dictated by rage, panic, and adrenaline, without clear intention or meaning, I still was successful simply because speed (which again was dictated with adrenaline in that time ).

I prefer firearms.

chester
    chester
    Survivalist
    member7

I may take my chances with being shot rather than stabbed by someone handy with a knife. In SHTF I plan to take a Glock to a knife fight. In SHTF if you’re a stranger you’re a potential enemy. No assumed innocent until proven guilty.

Thanks for the info!

Leopard
    Leopard
    Survivalist
    member8

Learn the basic steps to fight with a knife – it is very important. You can always run out of ammunition. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I4HPyW4-j6Y

Profile photo of freedom
    freedom
    Survivalist
    rnews

Leopard, I do agree that there is a time for a gun and a time for a knife. At night when you want to not make noise a knife can do the job. Learning to use a knife is important. Only some of us will use a knife because a knife is a very personal kill so not everyone can do it. Many will just use a gun.

But you are right that you may run out of ammo so then what do you do. Use a knife.

Leopard
    Leopard
    Survivalist
    member8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yMtPIpJZYIE Not always good to throw your weapon away Knife training from 11:00

Leopard
    Leopard
    Survivalist
    member8

Yes Freedom. It is very true – up close and personal. I do realize that posting video’s of people training how to slit someone throat might be very scary. But we are preparing for the real world and real people attacking each other.. Sad but true

Profile photo of osagemarine
    osagemarine
    Survivalist
    member3

Another good source is Michael Janice (Martial Blade Concepts, was a designer for Spyderco I think), he has some good videos out there. Or Hock Hockheim (Force Neccessary) both teach strikes and moves that build – same motion for empty hand, stick or knive. Hock also teaches the old military stuff.

Whirlibird
    Whirlibird
    Survivalist
    member10

Some time back I had the displeasure of attending a couple of SKD (spontaneous knife defense) classes.

I learned a couple of things.
    1: You will get cut. Choose what you are willing to sacrifice/get cut, to assist you in your defense/attack.
    2: Fighting with even a dummy knife hurts, a lot.
    3: Person pulls a knife on me, they are going to be sporting a bunch of new holes in their hide. Many new holes.
    Maybe from bullets, maybe from my knife.

Toby C
    Toby C
    Survivalist
    member6

Hmmmmm…. This thread is getting interesting.

A knife never jams, never runs out of ammunition and, if in range, is dangerous in every direction (A firearm is limited to being dangerous in an exceptionally narrow range). For those that want to ‘bring a gun to a knife fight’ you need to REALLY analyse the effectiveness AND limitations of your tactics. At distance a firearm wins, every time, that is why we ‘charge a gun, run from a knife’ but closer, well, then know we are talking a whole different world. For those that advocate ‘never let anyone get close to you’ I would HIGHLY recommend you spend just one hour, tomorrow, counting the occasions you HAVE to have people within 15ft of you, then truthfully analyse the effectiveness of that strategy. (Oh BTW thats just within 15ft, repeat the exercise and see how many people come within 5ft)

Pre SHTF, those that believe, ‘when in doubt draw first’, enjoy your time in prison, post SHTF, understand reaching for your weapon just escalated it to a lethal force encounter and you will have to deal with all that that entails (which can include BTW instigating me killing you because you presented the threat first)

Final point, if you are not training with weapon usage under the effects of adrenaline you need to start incorporating this into your training as SOON as you can…!

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

This might surprise some of you for a self defense resource The Outdoor Channel. http://outdoorchannel.com/the-best-defense. I watched many of these found most of it to be very good.

The knife fighting self defense moves make sense. They are intended to stop the attackers ability to maintain his attack. This is accomplished by cutting the ligaments or muscles controlling the arms and legs. Like inside the elbow, the bicep, that big ligament in the front of your armpit and right above the knee cap. Take what is given to you, take the open easy hit.

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

Toby,
    Interesting point about the law. Every state is different of course. However you may have to defend your actions in a court after shtf. Keeping people at a distance is not so hard when you are out of a city environment. It is about controlling your newly defined turf in the manner that best protects you and controlling the encounter to ensure your own safety and the safety of others in your camp.

Toby C
    Toby C
    Survivalist
    member6

“Keeping people at a distance is not so hard when you are out of a city environment.” I am not in a city, by any means, yet I am into double digits daily where people are in this proximity to me, hence my comment on ‘counting the numbers’, it’s not a problem to let people close so long as you are happy how to deal with it, for those in the city, even more so, I can’t count the times I have been jammed in a metro/tube/subway in physical contact with 6+ other people, freaking out will get you no where, reading and reacting to the situation is everything then…

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 50 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.