Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of benjammin
    benjammin
    Survivalist
    member2

Had to open a couple of #10 cans and all I had with me was a P-51 milsurp can opener. Halfway through the 2nd one, the muscles between my thumb and forefinger cramped up, and that got my arthritis going. The only time my hand has hurt more was when I was mixing ice-cold sausage meat and got an ice cream headache in my hand. Wife just laughed hearing me howl and watching me dance a jig over to the sink.

Sad to realize that the older I get the harder it becomes to do simple things like open a friggin can.

Whirlibird
    Whirlibird
    Survivalist
    member10

Won’t say I gave up on the P38/51, but I haven’t used mine in 25 years.

The can opener on a SAK is much better.
    But after a series of events, we now have multiple hand operated “real” can openers.
    Including ones left in the camping/survival gear permanently.

I’ve really come to appreciate the side cut openers that allow you to use the can lid as an actual lid to cover the can.

Tolik
    Tolik
    Survivalist
    member10

I like the british ” Fred ” , or the Czech version of the p38 . Fred is a bit more user friendly . But truth be told , the can opener on your leatherman beats them all .

Profile photo of Brulen
    Brulen
    Survivalist
    member9

Sounds almost like DD…. Depuytrens disease. Otherwise known as Viking claw or Celtic hands. Some northern ancestors Ben? Can opening with a p51 might bring it on. I learned about this only recently after watching a documentary called Blood of the Vikings: First Blood. One of my hands had a cramping problem where the only way I could straighten out the fingers was to use my other hand. For a while I was worried I might have DD or arthritis. To early to tell but I did start exercising my hands more.

• This reply was modified 2 months, 2 weeks ago by Profile photo of Brulen Brulen.
    • This reply was modified 2 months, 2 weeks ago by Profile photo of Brulen Brulen.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.