Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 63 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Novus Ordo
    Novus Ordo
    Hunter
    rprepper

I’ve always had an appreciation for polearms – with that kind of force behind them a smaller axe head with opposing spike would easily penetrate armor helmets and plates; all at a distance of the length of the pole.  The medieval armorers knew what they were doing for sure.

Thanks for the inspiration.  I’ve got a couple that I think you’d like to see that I made as a teen in metal shop but they’re buried in my hoarder garage.  When I run into them I’ll take a couple pics.

Arms discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property... mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them.
    - Thomas Paine

Frozenthunderbolt
    Frozenthunderbolt
    Survivalist
    member4

@Malgus,
    Intersting link – but nope i was more thinkging along the lines of a seaxe; a viking long knife/short sword in terms of utility, and then the hilt is celtic/pictish inspired; organic and alive with the pommel as a head and the little hand guard being the figure’s tongue.
    Thanks for the comment though.
    @Novus it would be cool to see what you made :-)

Profile photo of prepwolf
    prepwolf
    Survivalist
    member2

I’ve played around with make-shift weapons for quite some time now. Not from a survivalist/prepper point of view but if you’re interested in both history and combat, and also happens to like to construct things it sort of becomes a general interest after a while. But sure, creativity or other people’s experiences plus the ability to use and work with very scarce materials and few tools is probably a very good defense system in itself in most situations.

I’ve studied alot of make-shift constructions tied to various groups of rebels around the world, and through history. Sometimes it’s fun to follow an invention through time, like how the Molotov cocktail was invented by the Finnish soldiers to battle tank crews during the Winter War against the Soviets. And how petrol soaked rags and glas bottles then morphed into fire bombs with battery ignitions and dual chambers in today’s Syria.

I’m most fond of low tech projectile weapons though. Especially slingshots, slings and crossbows. Although some of them, like medieval staff slings where used in combat (I’ve created several of these and used them quite alot, and I can see why) most of these weapons are for hunting. When it comes to slingshots and slings we’re obviously talking small game like birds, squirrels, probably also cats, rodents and definately rabbits. Rabbits in particular are extremely easy to get close to around here, at least close enough to ensure that the cal .38 stainless steel round you fire at it will put some meat in your pot if it makes contact.

I’m currently experimenting with converting a hunting slingshot into a slingbow using a whisker bisquit of some kind. A whisker bisquit is essentally a device for placing and lining up an arrow when using a modern compound bow. The idea for me is to use some kind of device to ensure correct lineup between arrow, bands and the frame, I might use some kind of metal rest instead, we’ll see. But to sum things up, a slingbow is a slingshot that fires regular hunting arrows. I’ve seen guys take out deer with these things so I know they work, at least in theory.

I’m currently experimenting on Black Widows from Barnett and I do it to get an idea of what it feels like without having to invest alot of money. When I can attach some kind of whisker bisquit or similar device sturdy enough I will find a suitable place and fire some commercial (and possibly home made) hunting arrows at various things. If it feels like it could actually be something I’ll invest in a HFX Quick Bow or similar “professional” quality hunting slingshot. I carry a telescopic baton for personal protection but due to their extremely compact size, low maintenance, low cost and almost non-existing weight I’d probably add a good huntingslingshotto my BOB – if they work.

Actually, I think I’ll make a separate thread on this project soon, I’m expecting two new Widows in the mail any day soon and I’ll document the conversion process and trials if anyone is interested :)

"Certainly We have created man to struggle" - Qur'an 90:4

Robin
    Robin
    Survivalist
    member8

Prepwolf, that would be great.
    Robin

Mr. Red
    Mr. Red
    Survivalist
    member7

Prepwolf you’re rather spot on with my mentality of improvising weapons out of every day things, much the same as, for example, the guys in Syria, or Ukraine when they were basically in a siege of Kiev. Some of it is rather genius.

Canadian Patriot. Becoming self-sufficient.

Whirlibird
    Whirlibird
    Survivalist
    member10

Slingbow. P2 (Mods)

Selco
    Selco
    Survivalist
    member6

It is part about improvising, and part about looking into the past, what other people did. I remember in war people used a lot kinda slingshot with explosive devices, I seen that same( or very similar) device on TV in Syria, Ukraine etc.

You can beat human will to improvise, but also good thing is to “remember” what other folks in past did.

Robin
    Robin
    Survivalist
    member8

After the last ice age in Texas area folks were using Adel’s. It is a board with a grip on one end. An arrow is put on the bow and then the hunter uses that to throw the arrow. Extra distance and penetration.
    Robin

Whirlibird
    Whirlibird
    Survivalist
    member10

I think you’re referring to an atlatl.

Canterbury goes into a bit of history on the atlatl, swiss dart and such in one of his videos.

Profile photo of prepwolf
    prepwolf
    Survivalist
    member2

Selco:
    Yes, I’ve seen big slingshot devices operated by 2-3 guys during riots in Greece and Denmark aswell. In Ukraine I’ve even heard of a big catapult with counter weights and all, crazy times.

Whirlibird:
    His Walmart slingshot looks alot like the Barnett Black Widow. My whisker bisquit doesn’t look like his though so I can’t fasten it with zip ties and get it stable. If its this easy with the “correct” type of bisquit though I think I’ll save alot of time and effort on just ordering one of them from the internet, I’ll do that and fire up a project thread once I have the stuff. Thanks for sharing.

"Certainly We have created man to struggle" - Qur'an 90:4

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

Spud guns anyone?

Mr. Red
    Mr. Red
    Survivalist
    member7

74 I had an idea of making a “potato gun” style thing, but I’d have it shooting golf balls (or similar sized steel ball bearings), but right now it’s just an idea. It’d be fun to try though.

Canadian Patriot. Becoming self-sufficient.

Jay
    Jay
    Survivalist
    member3

Slingshots rock! You really just need to carry the proper rubber band (you can use certain kinds of exercise bands) and then you can build yourself a slingshot if you have some wood around. Very small addition for every bug out bag or other kit that makes a lot of sense. Its also pretty fun and rather accurate once you got a bit used to shooting with it.

Alea iacta est ("The die has been cast")

Profile photo of feral hobbit
    feral hobbit
    Survivalist
    member2

I’m a little late to the party, but oh we’ll. I am partial to the kukri or a tomahawk. I use bows and at-latl’s also.

...it is natural to man to indulge in the illusions of hope. We are apt to shut our eyes against a painful truth, and listen to the song of that siren till she transforms us into beasts...

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

It’s a good thread that needs revival. All in favor of kukri’s say eye!

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 63 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.