Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 63 total)
  • Author
    Jay
    Jay
    Survivalist
    member3

I also have a few broad swords, Spartan sword, true Japanese katana(not the cheap stainless crap, but a WW2 bring-back), kukri, Mexican machete(heavy blade, and sharp as a razor), tomahawk, and knives galore. I also learned from a blacksmith the art of blade making. Not a hard job, but time consuming.
    Other weapons include the spiked club, mace(not the spray kind), broad axe, and war club.

Thanks for putting your profile picture into context :)

This is the type of bayonet I had in mind.. triangular in cross section, forged steel. Mounted on the end of an oak or ash stave about 6 or 7 feet long, it would be formidable…

I didnt think about bayonets yet. As soon as we get all the documents ready we are most likely getting a shotgun, so a bayonet for that would also make a lot of sense.

For the spearheads, I look for something a bit more broad with an sharp edge on the side, so they can also be used as more sturdy digging sticks or to cut things from a distance.

Alea iacta est ("The die has been cast")

Malgus
    Malgus
    Survivalist
    member8

I didnt think about bayonets yet. As soon as we get all the documents ready we are most likely getting a shotgun, so a bayonet for that would also make a lot of sense. – Jay

That Winchester M12 trench gun I got, I just bought a bayonet for it. It is… formidable. WWI sword bayonet with a date stamp of 1918. Stuck on the end of that Winchester, it is intimidating… modern bayonets look like pocket-knives compared to it…

The wicked flee when none pursueth..." - Proverbs 28:1

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Tolik
    Tolik
    Survivalist
    member10

Quarterstaff , this is a dirt simple and highly effective weapon , and if you master it , works very well against multiple opponents . You find a dead branch , a pice of rebar , etc …..you have a quarterstaff .

Profile photo of Dutchie
    Dutchie
    Survivalist
    member2

My ex wife “kept” most of my prize blades (ka-bar, kukhri, push dagger). Sometimes its better to walk away…

For real up close, i love push daggers. I had one made specificly to my specs by a smith in Scotland. But seeing as they are illegal where I am, I had no issue leaving it with my ex wife…

Profile photo of TK556
    TK556
    Survivalist
    member2

Tolik, you’re absolutely right. Nunchukus started out as a rice processing implement. The Ninja then began to develop a fighting form around them because they were everywhere in Medieval Japan.

Profile photo of TK556
    TK556
    Survivalist
    member2

<div class=”d4p-bbp-quote-title”>Malgus wrote:</div>
    I didnt think about bayonets yet. As soon as we get all the documents ready we are most likely getting a shotgun, so a bayonet for that would also make a lot of sense. – Jay That Winchester M12 trench gun I got, I just bought a bayonet for it. It is… formidable. WWI sword bayonet with a date stamp of 1918. Stuck on the end of that Winchester, it is intimidating… modern bayonets look like pocket-knives compared to it…

I was so VERY tempted to buy an old Enfield No1 Mk3 a few weekends ago because the bayonet that it uses is over a foot long. Yes, the bayonet I was issued for my M16 was pretty pathetic by comparison…

Profile photo of TK556
    TK556
    Survivalist
    member2

My boot knife is a Fairbairn-Sykes, left over from my military days. That’s for quiet work. No, didn’t do any of that overseas…but I did get an anatomy class *evil grin*

For down and dirty HTH, a surplus East German shovel with sharp edges. Heavy, handy, and deadly in close work. I keep that in my 4X4, plus 2 machetes, and an axe. I pray I never get an opportunity to use them that way….

Frozenthunderbolt
    Frozenthunderbolt
    Survivalist
    member4

I’m a bit of a pre-gunpowder nut.
    At last count I had  2 2-handed swords, 3 short swords, 3 tomahawks, 3 long knives, 2 kukris, a parang, crossbow, long bow, a halbard, 3 warhammers (made myself), 1 flanged mace (made myself), 6+ other maces (homemade), several medieval style slings, 2 or 3 axes cut down to a viking broad axe shape, throwing knives, a flail, a bo staff, okinawan kama (twin sickles), and a few other bits and pieces . . .
    some steel plate armour, some lighter splinted leather, and a bit of maile.
    I do have a few things that go ‘bang’ too ;-)
    Next on my list is a katar or cestus, a naginata and/or pole axe and some spear heads – got to get a forge back up and going – I’ve got several lead springs just begging to be made into something sharp and shiny.

Malgus
    Malgus
    Survivalist
    member8

TK556,

All respect to the SMLE, why not get a 1903 Springfield? It used a bayonet comparable to the Smelly’s (and the Mauser’s), plus, you’ll have ammo compatibility… I mean, unless you sock away a few thousand rounds of 303, you’ll need ammo eventually. The Springfield uses 06 ammo.

Plus, it has a whip-ass bayonet. :)

Frozenthunderbolt
    Frozenthunderbolt
    Survivalist
    member4

Talking bayonets, take a look at the SKS bayonet. It is triangular and damn near indestructible. I’ve used mine as a pry bar, digging stick and auger bit and it is still going hard.
    Another advantage is they throw realy well – it isn’t hard to but them right through an internal house door.
    [In saying this, i don’t advocate throwing your weapon away in a fight unless you are desperate for a moment of disorientation on your opponents part so you can disengage and run the hell away]
    They can also be threaded on their base, making them relatively easy to mount as a pike if you have a tap and die set.

Profile photo of Novus Ordo
    Novus Ordo
    Hunter
    rprepper

FT, nice collection – care to share a pic or two of your homemade items?  I’d be very interested.

I like most of the favorites here – the Ka-Bar has been my go-to for years and accompanied me many times.  I have several versions of them from old to new.

Also like the Cold Steel Bushman Bowie version for the spear adaptability without tying or otherwise having to mount to a pole.

Arms discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property... mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them.
    - Thomas Paine

Frozenthunderbolt
    Frozenthunderbolt
    Survivalist
    member4

Here are some of the ones that i’ve either made or modified:

Close up 1

Close up 2

The’re all pretty ugly [except perhaps the small hatchet and the long knife which are kinda pretty] but they are, without exception, tested and robust. :-)
    Since I got some paracord to whip my kukri sheath and make a sling for it, I’m thinking some hand-grips and lanyards might be an order on the maces and the small axe too.

Profile photo of Novus Ordo
    Novus Ordo
    Hunter
    rprepper

FT – thanks, those are awesome!  That small axe pipe handle doesn’t vibrate your arm to death?  Ugly but effective beats pretty and ineffective every time!  Actually, looks like pretty good work to me.  How’d you make the maces?  Cut the ends, peel back and weld to handle?  Man, if you sharpened each of those peeled back petals on each side before welding it would be seriously nasty!

Arms discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property... mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them.
    - Thomas Paine

Frozenthunderbolt
    Frozenthunderbolt
    Survivalist
    member4

Thanks Novus,
    The pipe’s not as bad as you might think; i’ve used it for 10-15 minutes at a time without problem. You’re spot on as to the process for making the maces. I prefer the one with more cuts – i was worried the the slimmer flanges might bend, but once welded the curvature gives them enough strength.
    I like the idea of sharpening; you could do a 90 degree twist sharpen and weld which would give each one decent support.

Edited to add: the torq you can get by holding the base of the glaive/halbard to swing is insane; straight through 2 inch saplings. Gives me a real appreciation for polearms with a blade on the end – quite different to just using my bo-staff

Malgus
    Malgus
    Survivalist
    member8

Fro,

Nice work. My saying “It need not be pretty, to work” holds true. Those look tough enough to last several generations…

That knife looks a lot like the Green River knives from the frontier days in the US… you took inspiration from that? Folks without the blacksmithing mojo can get similar knives at Track of the Wolf… decent quality.

http://www.trackofthewolf.com/List/Item.aspx/453/1

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 63 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.