Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of L Tecolote
    L Tecolote
    Survivalist
    member8

The new way police are surveilling you: Calculating your threat ‘score’

Has this system been deployed in your area? How do you think you appear to the local authorities? — the Feds? Have you committed a future crime? How long before they don’t need to wait for a call to engage people who get a “red” rating?

Cry, "Treason!"

Profile photo of MountainBiker
    MountainBiker
    Survivalist
    member10

I have not heard of anything like that around here. The one thing that has caught my interest is where newly hired police chiefs in our largest cities are coming from. Our largest city, Burlington (42,000 people), recently hired a new chief from NYC. Our 5th largest city, Rutland, (16,000 people) recently hired a new chief from Schenectady, NY. It seems odd to me that they are bringing in new chiefs from such vastly larger places. The new chief in Rutland seems to be off to a good start, though nothing serious has happened on his watch yet. I am a bit concerned about the new one in Burlington though. The DEA and State Police recently executed a drug bust there where the drug dealer was shot and killed. The shooting was justified but what concerns me is that the new Police Chief didn’t seem especially concerned that two shots went through the wall into an adjacent apartment. I watched him say this on TV with the look on his face sort of like “why are these folks so concerned about a couple stray bullets”. What he actually said:

“So the most powerful firearm in the hands of somebody who had shot somebody in the head before and who had allegedly taken a life before was right next door to all these citizens. If people don’t fear that, I don’t know what they fear. I don’t want them to fear the police unnecessarily or additionally. And I understand that they do,” said del Pozo.

The gun was a muzzleloader. I don’t like what looks to me as a NYC police mentality being introduced into this State.

Profile photo of
    Anonymous
    Survivalist

I wouldn’t know how to find out if ours is using such software, officially. And I don’t read the local “rag,” nor would I trust them to do accurate reporting anyway. I just assume that they’re using the best tools they can afford, which may not be much, since their budget is horrible, and they’re losing personnel left and right). However, due to that low budget and low personnel numbers (as well as experience), they may be “supplementing” that with intel from such software.

I’ve read stories about this sort of thing previously, and I just presume I’m in all kinds of databases, like most other Americans – both government and commercial (Google, etc.). And understanding the immense power of databases, I assume “they” (whoever “they” are) know far more about me than I really wish they did. So what I do is limit what I add to those databases – whether it be through credit card purchases, cell phone applications like Google Maps, or whatever. Even that statement is about as far as I’m willing to go on line, or it starts implying too much about how I may or may not behave. Frankly, the implications are potentially quite frightening.

But I don’t lose a lot of sleep over it, or worry about our front door being crashed in by some LE-types, because I also don’t give them reason to. If there was some situation where they somehow thought they had reason to respond to our home, frankly I doubt our “threat score” would be at the bottom of the scale. I just do my best to keep it off the top of the scale also. Just my participation here is more than sufficient to keep it off the bottom. And what they know I own is also enough to keep it off the bottom. But there are far too many others that would be at the same general level of “threat,” so I have little concern that my “score” itself is enough to trigger any response. It would just heighten their concern IF they had to respond. My job is to not give them a reason to respond.

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

” I assume “they” (whoever “they” are) know far more about me than I really wish they did”

I assume they know more about me then I do, since I forgot, or don’t think about my past everyday. What they don’t know they can make up anyway.

Profile photo of sledjockey
    sledjockey
    Bushcrafter
    member8

Oregon does it so I have to assume that this is in use all over the PNW.

Bastages. …

http://ageofdecadence.com

chester
    chester
    Survivalist
    member7

Interesting article. Best to be aware of what’s out there. Thanks for sharing.

Tolik
    Tolik
    Survivalist
    member10

Welcome to North Korea .

Profile photo of L Tecolote
    L Tecolote
    Survivalist
    member8

I wouldn’t know how to find out if ours is using such software, officially. And I don’t read the local “rag,” nor would I trust them to do accurate reporting anyway. I just assume that they’re using the best tools they can afford, which may not be much, since their budget is horrible, and they’re losing personnel left and right). However, due to that low budget and low personnel numbers (as well as experience), they may be “supplementing” that with intel from such software.

Given the way the fedgov has been handing out weapons and goodies to local PDs, I’d bet that it won’t be long before someone in the local .gov writes a grant application for it. Can’t really blame cops for wanting to know whether they’re going to face a good citizen, or a maniac.

But the assessments will be shaded by whoever wrote the algorithms used to categorize people. I’m betting most of us appear on that program like Timothy McVey, or LaVoy Finicum.

Cry, "Treason!"

• This reply was modified 3 years, 8 months ago by Profile photo of L Tecolote L Tecolote.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.