Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 34 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Roadracer
    Roadracer
    Survivalist
    member7

As I have been following events in Ferguson MO something Interesting is playing out between the lines. The media in nearly every report has decried the militarization of the police. The quickly point out the military garb on the police officers and the military type vehicles (probably MRAPS) they have deployed.

This is an interesting change from the Boston bombing, where they never mentioned the martial law imposed there.

Are they waking up or are they just reacting to the context of the two events?

Robin
    Robin
    Survivalist
    member8

Slow news day so they generate drama.
    Robin

Profile photo of Broadside
    Broadside
    Survivalist
    member3

It seems that reporters are being both tear gassed and arrested in this debacle. Maybe they’re starting to feel the weight of the boot for themselves.

Profile photo of MountainBiker
    MountainBiker
    Survivalist
    member10

I think that there is a slow awakening even if most are afraid to say it out loud. There have just been too many incidents of over-militarized police relative to the issue at hand for them to ignore forever.

A few nights ago after it was dark I had gotten myself lost in a rural area I had never been in before and pulled in to a gas station to ask directions. There happened to be two State Police cruisers there, one getting gas and the other clearly had stopped to talk to the 1st one while he got gas. Years ago I wouldn’t have thought twice about the manner in which I walked up to them and asked for directions. The other night I thought to myself don’t startle them and keep a non-threatening distance. That I would even think about such things in rural VT surprised me. They were incredibly helpful and after a pleasant exchange I was on my way but my own apprehension earlier bothered me nonetheless. This is the slow mental shift that the militarization of the police is bringing on, and one by one people are taking notice.

Malgus
    Malgus
    Survivalist
    member8

It’s context, plain and simple.

When those two dipshits set off that oversized cherry bomb in Boston, declaring Martial Law, wiping their ass with the Constitution, deploying tanks (use whatever euphemism you want – if it has ablative armor, gun ports and a turret, it’s a tank. Don’t matter if it has wheels and run-flats or treads..), and marching around in all their cool-guy tactical ****, intimidating the hell out of everyone, was “justified” because those two dipshits were “terrorists”…

But down in MO, frankly the “protesters” are protected-class blacks. Don’t matter that they’re looting, burning, shooting and tossing flaming bombs… they are protected and the cops reacting to their actions are “militarized” and unjustified…

I know I’m taking an opposite stance to my traditional one – that being that yes, cops are indeed “militarized” and have a HULK SMASH! attitude – but I’m playing devil’s advocate in the face of media hypocrisy so nauseating I just threw up in my mouth a bit…

When it’s a largely white neighborhood and they’re hunting “terrorists” – two dickheads who set off a home-made oversized cherry bomb – the cops are justified in acting like the Soviets invading Budapest… when it’s blacks burning, looting and throwing bombs, everyone starts boo-hooing and decrying the heavy-handedness of the cops….

What a load of ****.

Can’t have it both ways. Sorry.

The wicked flee when none pursueth..." - Proverbs 28:1

Roadracer
    Survivalist
    member7

I suspect it may be a little bit of all the above. If you start arresting the reporters or push them around there is no quicker way to get the media to hammer you.

I’m afraid Malgus is correct. Now that their martial law experiment in Boston worked so well, they felt they could impose their will on the community. They forgot that they were going up against community organizers and we all know how much the media loves them. They even helped elect one to the highest office in the land.

As the son of a police sergeant in Pittsburgh, Mountain Bikers response just makes me sad. Not because it was wrong, but because in the same situation I would have felt the same way. Remember when an ordinary citizen felt relief and a little safer when he saw a policeman? I think my dad would have been saddened also to hear your concern.

Profile photo of Tuffhorse
    Tuffhorse
    Survivalist
    member1

I work here in Ferguson about 2 blocks from the burned out QT convenience store. The Target parking lot across the street is the staging area for the police. The Ferguson Police Chief just “fired” the St. Louis County PD officers that have been augmenting his 53 Officer force.

The view here is that if you come dressed for combat, you should expect combat. I have to agree with the Governor on this one…this is not a military operation. This is a policing operation. The people of Ferguson are not the ones rioting, either….the rioters are from outlying communities where they are taking a break from their drive by’s and shitting up their own communities to screw up Ferguson. The community here has been working very, very hard to improve and rid themselves of urban blight…their schools just re-certified their accreditation and all the kids here were excited about returning to school…now postponed to Monday. This is a real tragedy for this community. New businesses were finally moving back in. Good restaurants opening up. Streets clean and tidy. Thugs used this crisis as an excuse to create chaos and turmoil.

So, my co-workers used to make fun of me for coming in here every day with my get home bag in my truck that includes an Israeli style gas mask, machete, tazer disguised as a cell phone and enough shelter, water and food to get me home even if I have to walk 50 miles to get there. I do not appear quite so weird now. Now, most of them have created their own mapped to what I carry. Oh, and this is a “gun free” campus. Yeah, right. Not so much.

Malgus
    Malgus
    Survivalist
    member8

Tuff,

Elsewhere on the Internetz, someone mentioned Ferguson. His remarks somewhat square with yours… except he referred to it as “an urban cesspool with a failed school system exporting gangsters to the more distant white flight suburbs.”

Your “starting to turn things around” remarks sound like the “aspiring rapper” remarks made after some gangbanger gets shot dead.

Not trying to pick a fight. You’re there. I’m not. But I had some serious suspicions about how Ferguson was being portrayed in the media.. as some sort of nice suburban area. I didn’t believe that for a hot second. I’ve been to St. Louis and about the nicest thing I can say about it is that it sure looks good in the rearview mirror…

The wicked flee when none pursueth..." - Proverbs 28:1

Profile photo of MountainBiker
    MountainBiker
    Survivalist
    member10

Having thought about this more, I am convinced we’re at the start of a tipping point on the militarization issue being recognized by the general public. The combination of what looked like a military response in Ferguson to the aftermath of what appears to have been for all intents and purposes an execution of that young man is just the kind of in your face example that it takes sometimes for people to wake up. It isn’t white (Boston) vs black (Ferguson). Boston was a terrorist act at one of the largest and most iconic events in the country vs the shooting in the back by the local police of an 18 year old with his hands up. Maybe the kid was mouthy and maybe he initially refused orders by the police or even got physical with the police but the last I looked that doesn’t carry a death sentence after he tries to surrender.

Ferguson might well be a **** hole on the decline and maybe it was on the mend instead. I’m not in a position to know, but I don’t think it matters if it proves to be the catalyst to stop the militarization of the police. And yes I agree that there is a double standard when it comes to black vs white crime reporting in the media but I don;’t think that is the key difference between Ferguson and Boston. The larger issue for the American people however is militarization of the police.

In a news show this morning there was a segment on the militarization issue and they showed a map of where MRAPs have gone. TX has gotten the most at 68 I believe it was but I was floored to see VT got one too, I looked it up and it went to the State Police. As noted previously, we don’t even have 24 hour a day coverage by the State Police. Our largest city (Burlington) has a population of 42,000. There aren’t any ghettos in VT nor do we have the associated gangs. You can count on your fingers the number of murders each year, and we needed an MRAP? I’m glad that the media is finally talking about the larger issue.

Profile photo of Tuffhorse
    Tuffhorse
    Survivalist
    member1

Hi Malgus,

Ferguson had been one of the more blighted areas of St. Louis County up until about 6 years ago. Several former residents decided to make an effort to do something about it. They got involved, got on the City Council, opened new businesses and made a real difference. The road where the burned out QT is located is lined with nice older homes, fenced, tidy yards, and the downtown area of Ferguson looks better than it has in 40 years.

It is hard to argue with actual photos and video. This is a nice town, and the people are being portrayed as a bunch of thugs and malcontents, and they are not.

Is it a dangerous place to be right now? You bet. Are calmer heads starting to prevail? Seemingly so. The MSM thrives on chaos and controversy so where there is none, they will create it.

Why did it take until now for video footage of Mike Brown perpetrating a strong-armed robbery AT THE QT just 15 minutes before he was shot just now come out?

Whirlibird
    Whirlibird
    Survivalist
    member10

The reason the video wasn’t released was they had to both be sure that it was Brown on the video and to complete the investigation. You don’t release evidence until you are done with the investigation.

Secondly it gave time for people like Al Sharpton and Commander Zero to open their mouths and insert their feet up to the hips.

Roadracer
    Survivalist
    member7

Tragedy that the young man was shot. Somehow St.Louis metro has picked up some bad karma. It was part of my territory, and I hated to go there. It seemed like there was always something going wrong on the trips there.

However, when Afgan vets say they weren’t that loaded down with gear in that God forsaken place, then we have to continue to ask, “What the hell is going on?” Was this another test bed, to see how far the populace could be pushed? Were they gaming the situation to see what worked and what didn’t?

To me this whole situation stinks to high heaven. Video is now released that identified the two kids pulling a strong arm robbery. Both sides playing every card they can. Kid is crook. Cop is murderer. If ever wanted an example of how divided this country is, look no further.

Profile photo of freedom
    freedom
    Survivalist
    rnews

I do have to agree on this with Malgus, the Boston police were just going after two white terrorist.

Now what is happening in Ferguson is a black man which the news media loves since they know this was a white policeman for sure and want to make it a big news story. At the same time there are over 100 black on black killed in Chicago every month but the media is not interested in that story.

Why are the black leaders of this country not rioting in Chicago? That is were the most blacks are dieing.

The military police can only act on whites but not on blacks. So now they are having a problem with a military police when they take on the news media? Well the news media is getting a taste of where all of this military police is going!

Profile photo of freedom
    freedom
    Survivalist
    rnews

Also what the left wingers don’t understand is that this buildup of the military police cuts both ways and is to control all people which includes them.

Roadracer
    Survivalist
    member7

Freedom:

Couldn’t agree more. The situation in Chicago doesn’t get any attention because the Dems have run it for years. The African American community has Jesse Jackson and Louis Farrakan running their race baiting businesses out of there. While the civil rights leaders walk around in $1,000 suits, the young black men that they use as tool for publicity continue to suffer and struggle and die. So it’s hands off for the media.

Your last point is right on. The militarization of the police did not get big play until they got roughed up. Let’s face it no one trust the media anymore, so they get little sympathy for the Right or the Left when they get pushed around.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 34 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.