Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of GeorgiaSaint
    GeorgiaSaint
    Veteran
    member9

Toby posted a nice article on illumination, well worth reviewing.

http://shtfschool.com/general/the-importance-of-illumination/

Just a couple of comments. Someone that commented on the main page to his article that he got a handful of $1.00 LED keychain lights at his local NAPA auto parts store. I just went to mine, and that must have been just a local store purchase – they are not offered either in my local store, or in their catalog (the manager did a thorough search both on line and in their printed catalog).

Also, I do have one (only partial) disagreement with Toby on lighting. He said:

I particularly like a ‘non white’ light here so it is not overly conspicuous and is not compromising my eyes adjustment to the dark as much. In this regard red or green light is preferable, but I am using blue for now for a specific, but separate reason.

Actually, red light is highly preferable in the dark for actually viewing things fairly close. If one is hit with a sudden bright light (or just coming into a dark environment from a bright one), it can take the better part of an hour to regain most of the lost “night vision.” ONLY red is perceived in the very center of vision, and it does not seriously affect night vision. There are no rods in the very center of vision, and almost exclusively there are red-sensitive cones there. The trade off, however, is that sharp detail isn’t seen as well with exclusively red light. But if you’re just looking at gauges, maps, etc., and want to preserve night vision, you can use just red for reading or viewing something up close. Also be aware, however, that red reportedly is more fatiguing than other colors over time.

Still, if you need general light for various purposes, as dim a white light as possible is technically best.

GS
    "Ye hear of wars in far countries, and you say that there will soon be great wars in far countries, but ye know not the hearts of men in your own land."

• This topic was modified 1 year, 7 months ago by Profile photo of GeorgiaSaint GeorgiaSaint.
    Profile photo of Brulen
    Brulen
    Survivalist
    member9

I can tell you what we used on our recent 90 day camping trip.

Fenix HL55 with 18650 3400 mAH rechargable battery per person plus extra battery.
    4 battery charger- 12v. Or 120 plug.

Surefire A2 aviator (1)

Backup HL Brunton Glacier 115 3aaa rechargeable with sos mode to Brunton revolt. One extra per person

3 candle hanging tent lantern (1) with citronella bug candles.

Surefire Saint Minimus with red cover – 3v battery

Surefire M6LT (1)

Brunton Revolt 9000 mAH (5) originally 6, 1 died.

Assorted charging cords, solar panels, adapters. Red lens tape

• This reply was modified 1 year, 7 months ago by Profile photo of Brulen Brulen.
    • This reply was modified 1 year, 7 months ago by Profile photo of Brulen Brulen.
    Profile photo of Brulen
    Brulen
    Survivalist
    member9

Looks like I’m the high lumen king at night. White light is security to me. For other uses I don’t like the little led keychain lights, good for somethings but they haven’t overwhelmed me with their dependability. Snaplights are better. If multiple people are out at night and they all use the same color light it’s going to be obvious who the outsider is in security mode. For stealth at night I’d rather use UV. All the markers people have on their sneakers backpacks hats really light up in the dark.

Whirlibird
    Whirlibird
    Survivalist
    member10

Of all the LED colors, yellow is probably the worst for night work, the color plays tricks with your eyes, fooling you as to what you are looking at. Maps are almost impossible to read with yellow.

Red, is the best at least if you want to preserve the most of your “night vision” and it travels the shortest distance visibly. Hence the military using it for years on pretty much any night light used.

I keep a number of lights available, from middle range intensity “tac” lights on down to low powered penlights and multi power headlamps.

But my most used light (daily) is an old Surefire 6P with a long discontinued KL3 LED head. It’s only 19.5 Lumens, but for anything I need a light for, it’s been excellent and battery life is good compared to the standard bulb.

Malgus
    Malgus
    Survivalist
    member8

“Permissive societies” jumped out at me… I know this hasn’t much to do with ‘illumination’, but it does have everything to do with ‘permissive societies’….

20-odd years ago, I was a young buck sergeant down South of the Border Where There Ain’t No Law and Order… I was speaking with one of the local constabulary in town when he paused and started an animated conversation with a local. The local was an old man – easily in his late 60’s, hunched over from a lifetime of hard work. The local cop took a small pocket knife off him. Some small cheap thing – hardly more than a toy by our standards – but he took it off him and told him to get lost…

I know I shouldn’t have, but I butted in. The cop’s POV was “No concealed weapons, period”. The old man’s POV was “Hey, that’s all I got to defend myself”. It was the puny knife, rely on a pointy stick, or trust in the tender mercies of the local scumbag population…

I argued hard for the old man. The little knife looked to be his only real possession… The cop was sympathetic, but would not budge. He kept the knife. The old man thanked me for at least trying, and moved on…

Couple weeks later, the old man was found dead. Now, could that knife have changed the outcome? Maybe. Maybe not. Who knows? I told the local cop when I saw him about the old man. He was… conflicted. And not a little angry with me. Same old, same old: “Dienst ist dienst” and “Befehl ist befehl”. are the same no matter where you go…

If you live in a ‘permissive’ society, then carry everything you can legally. My views on a society “permitting” someone to have the means to defend themselves are well known here… but if you’ve got yourself some wiggle room, some latitude, then use it.

As far as the OP is concerned, I should really carry some type of micro light in my EDC… it’s something I have for the house, the car, the work shed, the barn… everywhere except on my person.

Good article…

The wicked flee when none pursueth..." - Proverbs 28:1

Profile photo of Brulen
    Brulen
    Survivalist
    member9

Yes sir. Totally correct Malgus and to illuminate the point even more the stun gun argument is also covered under the 2nd amendment. Electric arc weapons are protected and protection for the individual.

Profile photo of namelus
    namelus
    Survivalist
    member7

red light using a gen1 or better nv makes you glow, green a little better but not much, all your clothes you wash with standard detergents from store make you glow with new gen 5 think dandruff that is glowing in black light .http://www.atsko.com/ has some stuff that helps to fix that and thermal /FLIR you need special mats think real MARPAT/ CADPAT not looks like but is the stuff not available for 50 buck more like 300. CADPAT is near impossible to get real stuff federal crime to sell it was one store but closed now for 2 years.

as for lights they can be blue/ red with draw backs the idea of night vision saving just use what you can to see or you will make enough noise the light is not half of the issue. use a damn poncho if you have to map read at night or buy some nv even first gen will help.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.