Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 31 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of
    Anonymous
    Survivalist

Ah yes, loved it. And Sean Spicer ripped the media another new one in his press briefing this afternoon, particularly over the absurd propaganda concerning the JCS chairman and Clapper. Facts are beginning to get in the way. This is getting to be fun.

Profile photo of tweva
    tweva
    Survivalist
    rreallife

GS – thank you for that. Perfect analogy. Experienced something a teeny bit similar last week in small group I still attend. Practicing silent movement/making oneself invisible when visible etc.Met at old house, practiced walking through for some time. Being aware, mentally counting positions, making oneself small. Knew we would do it again blind folded. Each separately. Others outside. Walk through – or tried. Crashed in to everything.It seemed nothing was where it had been. Crashed/stumbled/bashed into all manner of things. -disoriented. The instructor had moved things about inside. He had been working on teaching us to ‘sense’ mass and energy (quickest way to describe). Many of us thought we might be making progress. Huh.

Years ago I asked the people that worked for our business to read a little book ‘Who Moved the Cheese?” Never forgot the lessons in that little book. The cheese has been moved politically in the US – for now. That little book shows exactly what is happening now as a result of the cheese being moved. But I think while Americans are so busy fighting each other, or falling prey to other distractions of the ‘modern’ tech world….some demented little despot may very well do something to start a war….and I have NO doubt Mother Nature is going to put her 2 cents in, in the most unexpected way. She is ruthless – and will give many something to REALLY think about. She does not suffer fools greatly. Expect chaos – be grateful for any calm where and when you find it.

Whirlibird
    Whirlibird
    Survivalist
    member10

Tweva, I’d disagree about mother nature’s being ruthless.
    She’s indifferent, doesn’t care about our little ways and means.
    We freeze to death, so what.

Nature is neutral.
    We come and go, nature remains.

Profile photo of tweva
    tweva
    Survivalist
    rreallife

Whirlibird….I stand corrected. Sometimes she just appears ruthless to humans. I do agree with you. I suppose I am just feeling a bit vulnerable at the moment, given where I live and my current responsibilities…lol and remembering last winter’s big dump of snow. So praying we are not surprised with one in the next few months – I think it would be the straw that breaks the camel’s back for me personally at this point. Hope you and yours are well.

Whirlibird
    Whirlibird
    Survivalist
    member10

Big dump I can understand.
    Five days in a row , 4+ hours per day removing the white excrement. And that was just one storm.
    Right now I have between 3&4′ in my front yard. And it’s starting again.

Too much more and our wildlife will be decimated. Back in October, muley buck had a thick layer of fat. Last weekend, elk cow, zero fat. F&G is already putting food out for them, both here and Utah.

Profile photo of freedom
    freedom
    Survivalist
    rnews

Whirlibird & tweva The liberals call this global warming, oh did they change the name on that to climate change? All the same right?

Well here in Miami we are at 60 lows in the morning and 74 midday so PLEASE send us some of your cold weather.

Profile photo of tweva
    tweva
    Survivalist
    rreallife

Whirli – I have no doubt, I have a no reason to complain. We here in Northern VA have had less than 1″ of snow this season and fairly (compared to last 5 years) moderate temps. But the winter is not over. I am grateful for Nature passing us by to this point. But last winter with the 3-4 ft plus we are nmot used to was too much. It would not have been bad if I did not have my elderly father with us that has dementia. Somehow, in his brain he did not ‘see’ the snow. The constant worry about the strange/life-threatening things his mind led him to do then is still too fresh. I had eight horses and other livestock to dig out and take care of …that would have been fine. But people. Take care of your health. The added ‘burden’ of my father and the worry was not good. Sad thing is he has more than enough money to be in assisted living…but family members (all that live on the left coast) are more worried about depleting his significant funds if he were to be sent there. Yet, sadly, do they come or call? Visit? No. Thankfully I have established myself in a small community that, just when I think I will break…join to save me. Selco’s latest post? Pay attention. You can not do it alone. Start now. Engage with your ‘community’…get and know your neighbors and do all you can to increase camaraderie and friendship. They can and will save your bacon. I will repay them in kind,

• This reply was modified 2 years, 8 months ago by Profile photo of tweva tweva.
    Profile photo of tweva
    tweva
    Survivalist
    rreallife

Freedom! LOL! Gladly,,,,together with the higher energy bills! Best to you and your family.

Profile photo of freedom
    freedom
    Survivalist
    rnews

tweva, We can’t win with the energy bills no matter where we live.

Profile photo of tweva
    tweva
    Survivalist
    rreallife

Freedom,,,,, yes u can! Learn solar. 4800 sqft, dual fuel, from $600 plus in January…with wood stove and solar $150 and that mostly due to elderly father always being cold so has ceramic heaters to augment 72 degree indoor temp. Barn $130/mo (heated wash stall and attendant pipes went to ZERO. Waiting for Elon Musk’s home energy ‘plant’

Profile photo of freedom
    freedom
    Survivalist
    rnews

tweva, In Florida solar is real good but you can’t do it yourself since the government requires that you have a license solar contractor that pulls permits, you have to have an architect plans so by the time you get the solar panels up it cost 3 to 5 times what it would cost you do it your self. Incredible!

Profile photo of
    Anonymous
    Survivalist

Ah, yes…. Government regulation. No do-it-yourself projects allowed! Let’s see what President Trump can do about that kind of idiocy, as well as such things as the NON-THC-containing CBD (cannabidiol) oil that the Feds just clamped down on in the final days of the Obama administration – despite the fact that even in the face of differing state regulations, companies were allowed to mail it to all 50 states – until a month ago.

I can see a requirement for a code inspection when a solar system is wired into the commercial power system (or replaces it), simply on safety grounds. Sort of. But the libertarian in me says, if I want to burn down my own house because of my own idiocy, that’s my right. No, I don’t really go that far in reality, but it’s much more that direction than what you’re experiencing in Florida – absurd!

We’re virtually two whole weeks into the new administration – why hasn’t all of this been fixed already?!? [sarc/OFF] ;-) But here’s hoping….

Profile photo of tweva
    tweva
    Survivalist
    rreallife

Freedom – After doing lots of research and taking a series of free classes…7 years ago I bought panels, hired an electrician and had them installed. Maybe permits were required, but no one has ever said a word. I use mostly solar powered lights (German made) I bought from a great supplier who helped me from TN. Added panels every year as cud afford them. Barn lights, fans etc – solar powered. That’s here in VA. Field water outlets and heaters are solar powered. Did myself frm Harbor Freight. Pumps used to pump water from huge pond to fields – solar powered…did myself 2 years ago. Pool? Floating solar powered skimmer and filter.

Profile photo of
    Anonymous
    Survivalist

Way to go, Tweva! My hat’s off to you on that project. Are you dependent on sunlight, or are you also using batteries in the field(s)? – just curious. And did you use a cross-over system in the house, or are you using a separate 12 or 24 volt system for those lights? Part of me is wanting to take the plunge, particularly if we remain in this house potentially to the “end,” but I’m hesitant, knowing enough to know that I don’t know enough. 50 years ago I had the knowledge to do it (passed a general class amateur radio license exam in my mid-teens and built some of my own equipment). But unfortunately I’ve forgotten FAR more than I retain now (“use it or lose it” – I didn’t, so I did). And technology has changed dramatically since the days when my exam was only beginning to get into solid state electronics, still focusing then on vacuum tube technology, LOL!

Profile photo of tweva
    tweva
    Survivalist
    rreallife

Well damn, the entire post I wrote just disappeared – hate windows 8 and 10! So, I have written about this before GS – so here is a link to previous discussion thread a few years ago: link I use a Jotul wood stove with non electric fans from Lehmans to move heat around downstairs..and more. Farm Tek lights and fans for barn and chicken house and run-ins…basically. Yes I have a battery bank but use a portable, BIG solar generator from SunRnr instead of a standard battery bank. Much easier. Also made in Virginia.Can’t recommend Ron enough at Sunshineworks.com in TN for help. Bought all my Pico lights from him. His site by itself will teach you much. Solar fridge and freezers in basement – kitchen upstairs looks normal for ops sake. HTH?

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 31 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.