Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    elijah
    elijah
    Prepper
    member6

http://cluborlov.blogspot.nl/2008/02/five-stages-of-collapse.html

Dmitry Orlov wrote this essay about what he sees as the five stages of civilisation collapse, using Kubler-Ross’ Five Stages of Grief as a model.
    They are:
    Stage 1: Financial collapse. Faith in “business as usual” is lost.
    Stage 2: Commercial collapse. Faith that “the market shall provide” is lost.
    Stage 3: Political collapse. Faith that “the government will take care of you” is lost.
    Stage 4: Social collapse. Faith that “your people will take care of you” is lost.
    Stage 5: Cultural collapse. Faith in the goodness of humanity is lost.

I thought the essay was genuinely interesting. The bulk of the essay develops these five points far more to show what this really means, and the meaning is somewhat different to what a superficial understanding of the above divisions suggests. I’d like to see what people think, and hear from those who have been through the experience of collapse.

Bugs Bunny: "I speak softly, but I carry a big stick."
    Yosemite Sam: "Oh yeah? Well I speak LOUD! and I carry a BIGGER stick! and I use it, too!" BAM!

Profile photo of Ogre206
    Ogre206
    Survivalist
    member2

would you say America is in stage two or three?
    and I think stage 4 is when SHTF

Profile photo of freedom
    freedom
    Survivalist
    rnews

I think he is right on all five stages. The thing is that the five stages may happen all at once. I say the five stages are really one since all will happen together. This may take one to three years. Now everything can go on the fast track if there is an attack on the homeland like a 911 or bigger. This will take us down fast.

Profile photo of MountainBiker
    MountainBiker
    Survivalist
    member10

I think the list is a bit awkward in that posing it as stages infers that one stage is completed before the next begins.

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

I agree with MTB and Free. I see simultaneous degradation as a whole, but not with any uniformity or order.
    1 & 2 are synonymous to each other as are 3, 4 & 5.

Jay
    Jay
    Survivalist
    member3

Like freedom says I also believe multiple things will happen at the same time. Especially if some major event leads to the collapse (like a virus outbreak and mass quarantines).

I think 1+2 come hand in hand and then 3+4+5 in quick succession. If you look at it from our point of view as survivalists and preppers, 3+4+5 has already happened or we more or less have come to the insight this is the reality we are living in.

Alea iacta est ("The die has been cast")

Lone Eagle
    Lone Eagle
    Prepper
    member3

It can happen all at once, or gradual. Simply research some history for how it affected different nations. Rome, Wiemar Germany, and Argentina come to mind. Those were(and are) slow creeps to collapse. Others were as quick as a lightning strike. As with Rome, it was all about “bread and circuses”. Keep the masses happy, and the creep isn’t noticed until it’s too late.

Never challenge a man who has nothing left to lose.

Profile photo of freedom
    freedom
    Survivalist
    rnews

Lone Eagle the quick as lighting strike maybe what will happen here.

Profile photo of Proteus 55
    Proteus 55
    Survivalist
    rprepper

Fascinating thread and Orlov was a good read from the original blog. I believe Greece is probably stage 2 right now, courting dangerously with stage 3 if not careful…

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.