Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of freedom
    freedom
    Survivalist
    rnews

Great article, please read an post this link everywhere you can.

The facts shoot holes in Obama’s claim that US is only host to mass killings

http://www.foxnews.com/opinion/2015/12/03/facts-shoot-holes-in-obamas-claim-that-us-is-only-host-to-mass-killings.html?intcmp=hpbt3

Tolik
    Tolik
    Survivalist
    member10

The US is the new Soviet Union , as far as propaganda goes , unfortunately , the people have a healthy appetite for BS , to which the government is only too happy to feed them all they can eat .

Profile photo of GeorgiaSaint
    GeorgiaSaint
    Veteran
    member9

Tolik, I may have mentioned it here previously, but in case not, I have the following experience behind me. When I was about 12 or 13, I was given my grandfather’s old tube-type, wooden case shortwave radio. I set it up in the basement, and ran a long wire antenna out the window and up into the back yard. If there was a World Radio and TV Handbook back then, I knew nothing about it. But I happened to find the English language service of Radio Moscow, and got hooked. I wasn’t hooked in the sense of buying into it, hook line and sinker, but hooked by what, even at that age, seemed unbelievable to my young mind. It was incomprehensible that anybody could believe that stuff! I listened to descriptions of what life was like here in the United States, for example, and then what the Soviets were doing in the world, and it was simply amazing. I spent many, many hours listening to people with little and even no accent at all, and imagined that somehow they’d even recruited real live Americans to read their reporting. I could not understand how anyone could defect from here to there, or how people could listen to that stuff and be taken in by it.

That did two important things for me, at minimum (in addition to exercising my critical thinking skills – I had actually been introduced to formal debating around that time in some school class or other, and was learning to take both sides of arguments, even if I didn’t believe one (or either) of them. But what else it did was give me an interest in radio (I later got an amateur radio license with a general class license that I sadly let go in college due to no time (or equipment – I needed money and sold mine) to get on line. It also gave me a deep interest in international relations, which became a significant factor in my major course of study in my undergrad work.

Thus, I became VERY familiar with Radio Moscow, and kept hearing about what Pravda and Izvestia had to say about this or that. In other words, I became quite conversant with what propaganda was.

While I now can look back and assume that probably what we were getting on the news was focused in certain directions, there was still a huge difference. What passes as “news” today is nothing more than entertainment sprinkled with bits and pieces of the stories about various events locally, nationally, and internationally, sprinkled with all kinds of charged words in the “reporting.” In other words, we’ve got pure propaganda that too many people believe is news reporting. But back around 1960 or so, some here remember the old Huntley Brinkley reports, for example. There was news reporting, and then – clearly identified as such – was the commentary. There was a sharp division. And during the “news” portion, there were rarely any emotionally charged words thrown in – it was relatively objective, even if it probably was selectively reported in some regards. Still, I remember hearing a wide variety of stories from around the nation and around the globe. Except when the Kennedys and King were assassinated, the idea of everything on TV being dominated by a single issue or story was simply not yet in play back then.

So fast forward to 2015 (and a number of years prior to that, even well preceding Obama). I’ve said it before, just in different terms than you did – our “news” media today is every bit as “good” (i.e. proficient at what they do) as Pravda, Izvestia, and Radio Moscow were in the early 60s. And yes, it’s just amazing to me that Americans are so eager to buy into this cr@p as much as many Soviets were to theirs back then. And it’s why I have no more hope that the constitutional republic will survive, except in name and paper-thin shell only. Yet people point to their “constitutional rights,” as if they even know what those are (and aren’t!), or that the Constitution truly matters any more when almost every current oath-taker has sold him- or herself out long ago. And with the absolute assistance of our public schools, we’ve now got multiple generations of people (mostly adults now) that truly believe the agenda Obama and his henchmen (and those before him as well) have put on our backs.

GS
    "Ye hear of wars in far countries, and you say that there will soon be great wars in far countries, but ye know not the hearts of men in your own land."

Profile photo of L Tecolote
    L Tecolote
    Survivalist
    member8

There is no pravda in istvestia, and no istvestia in pravda. — Old Russian saying

Cry, "Treason!"

Tolik
    Tolik
    Survivalist
    member10

I miss old Walter Cronkite .

Whirlibird
    Whirlibird
    Survivalist
    member10

I miss old Walter Cronkite .

Didn’t he retire when you were about 5?

Tolik
    Tolik
    Survivalist
    member10

Naw , I was older than that , he was still on when I was a teen ( about the same time we almost ran over Lee Marvin in Tucson , but thats another story ). But for a long time , he was the only news caster I knew , as my parents watched him every day . In the days of B&W TV , with only four channels . He may have retired when I was young , but his journalistic ethics , and code , made him an icon for generations that never were able to watch him , sort of like Vic Morrow before him . I have listened to some of his broadcasts from London , while the Germans were bombing it . Before my time , but interesting none the less . As far as I know , Cronkite only gave ONE personal opinion on the air , it was about the futility of the Vietnam war . Another thing for anybody that chooses to listen to the old time news casters , is notice how they had a much better command of the English language than anybody today .

Profile photo of sledjockey
    sledjockey
    Bushcrafter
    member8

What I like about the older newscasters and reporters was their ability to ask intelligent questions: Have you actually listened to the stupid questions that our reports of today ask? Want a great example of someone that is barely smart enough to sit up right and breathe without cue cards? That Greta person from Fox. Holy crap. I had forgotten why I don’t watch any broadcast news anymore until I had to endure her moronic comments during the SB thing. At least the other guy (Brit?) was asking decent questions.

Don’t get me started on the CNN and MSNBC crew. I actually heard some reporter in the background (MSNBC) ask about service animals and how they were going to handle them when I was surfing through the stations looking for more information on SB.

The more information that comes out the more I STILL think it was a different crew that shot the place up and then left these two we are seeing on the news to take the fall….. 3 minutes door to door? That was a trained attack to pull that off while staying on task and time.

http://ageofdecadence.com

GeorgiaSaint
    Veteran
    member9

Sledjockey, sadly Greta is actually a former criminal defense attorney! Yet she can’t come up with better questions? Go figure. She and her attorney husband also belong to the same church as Tom Cruise.

As for the who’s-who of San Bernardino/Redlands/Pakistan/Saudi Arabia – well, it just kind of reminds me of OKC. Who was the third man? Why was the building demolished in just one month from the explosion? (NO federal project goes out for bid and is accomplished that fast!) What was the media invasion of the apartment all about with multiple competent law enforcement and legal experts stating for the record that there was no evidence of fingerprint dusting in the apartment before the FBI “released” the scene to the landlord?

Yep! Sumpin’ don’t appear right wit da picture.

GS
    "Ye hear of wars in far countries, and you say that there will soon be great wars in far countries, but ye know not the hearts of men in your own land."

Profile photo of MountainBiker
    MountainBiker
    Survivalist
    member10

The apartment thing was pretty strange. I read that the mother lived there too. If so there is no way that the apartment could be deemed abandoned so as to allow the landlord access like that, not to mention how in the world could she not have known they were up to something. Did she think the pipe bombs were an arts & crafts project? Even if the mother didn’t live there, the landlord still doesn’t have a right to let people into the apartment in that manner given all of the stuff in the apartment now legally belongs to the baby with whoever gets appointed her guardian then being able to dispose of their belongings on her behalf.

GeorgiaSaint
    Veteran
    member9

MB, Bingo! Of course we’re not going to hear ANY reporting on that fiasco, now that every single major “news” outlet was part of the invasion and looting of that apartment, complete with one or more dogs and several small kids. Every network had a named individual in front of a camera in that apartment, and anything they now say that was “wrong” with that event, will be self-implicating. “Hey – ABCNBCCBSMSNBCFOXNPR – what are your thoughts about the opening up of the couple’s apartment without any controls over what could be touched, photographed, recorded, removed, etc.?” Response: “On the advice of network attorneys, I invoke my 5th Amendment right.”

Have you noticed how virtually ALL coverage of that apartment invasion (except for still shots of a few documents on a table, with no reference to how those photos came to be) has ceased? That puppy’s dead! Even if it’s prosecuted, what network would DARE report it? And Andrea Mitchell will keep her job as a top reporter….

GS

MountainBiker
    Survivalist
    member10

If the family files a criminal complaint with the police or a civil suit against the landlord and the networks on behalf of the baby, it’ll get plenty of attention. The family is starting to not smell so good and going on the offense over the apartment fiasco might serve their purposes.

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

“Cronkite only gave ONE personal opinion on the air , it was about the futility of the Vietnam war ”

Tolik, actually Cronkite’s news cast were a constant drum beat against the war. Most of the news broadcasts were in the same vein so there was no contrasting reporting. You might remember the days of equal time that was supposed to give an opportunity to voice apposing views. Of course it was always rigged against the opposition.

• This reply was modified 1 year, 11 months ago by Profile photo of 74 74.
    GeorgiaSaint
    Veteran
    member9

the days of equal time

This is not a shot at Tolik – he has no control over the date of his birth. “The days of equal time” are unknown to many – even some here, I suspect. But then the whole concept of something approaching real news broadcasts is almost as foreign to “modern” America as the Edsel (and its “scandalous” grill) or the Rambler American.

GS

MountainBiker
    Survivalist
    member10

The Rambler. That was one ugly car.

Back on topic, in Cronkite’s day the media was far more independent. Global corporations that now control the major media hadn’t yet risen to the point of being more powerful than many national govts. People like Cronkite had more freedom to report the news rather than defacto read press releases from the White House or corporate headquarters. Whether they were reporting news or doing an editorial was more clear than it is now. Society as a whole was more civil.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.