Tagged: 

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 67 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of freedom
    freedom
    Survivalist
    rnews

So Malgus if Mr Red is right about (North Koreans actually have a satellite in orbit with a missile capable of yielding a blast that could create an EMP) that means it would get superchaged right?
    Also I have read that even the car batteries and cables would fry so a car in the 70’s may need a battery and cables for the battery. It is all abot how strong the EMP is.

My faraday cage steel trash can is grounded to the two ground lighting rods that are on the outside of were the electric panel is. Use a 10g to a 6g wire to ground.

Profile photo of freedom
    freedom
    Survivalist
    rnews

Mr. Red, Malgus and 1974+150v,
    Some thing for all of you to think about since no one posted anything about this. We all talk about the cities and how bad they will be but one thing we forget is when an EMP or total solar flare happens all jails with the criminals will get out after they see that there is no food left.

Some of these jails are not in the cities, they are out in the middle of farm land areas or out in the middle of no were.

These criminals will kill without even think about it. Also mental hospitals will not be able to hold down the doors.

So yes ammo and guns are very important.

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

Freedom,
    I live 5 miles from a small city of 250,000. I’m on the edge of the suburbs with farms at my back. There were 767 violent crimes in 2010. 10 murders. Seems like gun fire is reported every week. So I know I will have unwanted visitors. I have lived in very rural places and there was always a local criminal element. So no matter where you are you will need to protect yourself. Having a big penitentiary nearby sure won’t help.

Profile photo of freedom
    freedom
    Survivalist
    rnews

1974t150v, Another thing that will do the same is cyber terrorism which if done right they can take the internet down which will take the electric grid down. Yes our autos will work but everything else will not. This will do the same thing to the jails.

One thing we all need to remember that in the last FBI report there were more murders with bats and hammers then rifles. So be ready for anyone with a bat or hammer .

Mr. Red
    Mr. Red
    Survivalist
    member7

It’s going to be a toss-up on what would happen to prisons and stuff in a shtf world, not just for EMP/CME. There is no doubt in my mind that many will be able to walk on out. There are also going to be some where the guards just leave and most, if not all, of the prisoners would die. Guards may kill some on the spot, maybe all, or might even just let everyone go. It’s really hard to say, but that just strengthens my point that SECURITY should be number one on the list for everyone.

Let’s get our brains going here on something; let’s say that we’re hit with an EMP and it’s nearly full effect (what I mean by that is it’s almost as bad as we can hypothesize). What are some ways we can get some cars/trucks going? How can we get some comms going so that we can have vocal communication with our defensive perimeter and any scouting/scavenging teams we send out in the space? How are we going to set up some agricultural land for crops and animals?

I’m not asking what YOU specifically in your situation as it sits now would do, but if you had nearly all the pieces in place with a group as well as the people in your local area, how are you going to accomplish those tasks that I personally see as pretty vital to your surviving and thriving? What other things would need to be done? Remember, it’s an EMP which effects are all sorts of bad. Brainstorm how we can get things done with minimal electrical devices, or, how we can increase our ability to MAKE electricity.

Lets see what we can do

Canadian Patriot. Becoming self-sufficient.

Profile photo of freedom
    freedom
    Survivalist
    rnews

Mr Red, Something else to think about is that all nuclear power plans only have 2 to 3 weeks of gas to run there generators. After that radiation will go 100 mile so more then 70% of the U. S. A. will get radiation.

I am not sure if the government has any plans to send gas to these nuclear power plants.

Now about electricity, I read that the solar panels will be OK with an EMP or solar flare but the cables and batteries will not. So you would need to save the cables in a steel can. This may work but it is not 100%.

Mr. Red
    Mr. Red
    Survivalist
    member7

Regarding the nuclear plants (whos stupid idea was that anyway?), I would think and HOPE that the Gov (or any of us friendly, Commonwealth nations) would secure them to keep them safe. As much as y’all might not like the idea of foreign troops on your soil, I’d think you’d rather that than most of CONUS being radiated.

Like most people, I’m not sure what an EMP would and would not effect. For important things like power generation, some tools, other key electronics, I’d want to protect it. If I couldn’t, I’d have to get creative and find other means by scavenging some things, using what I already have on hand, and really thinking outside the box (been pondering hydroelectricity because of the river close by). That’d be a massive project but, if it’s one of the only means then I’d have to dive in, quite literally and figuratively lol.

Canadian Patriot. Becoming self-sufficient.

RROAMM
    RROAMM
    Survivalist
    member2

Nuclear power plants do not need “gas” to operate they are self-generating. The only need for a back-up generator, would be for cooling after a shutdown and the grid is down. In the case of a EMP or some other catastrophic event. the reactor would shutdown automatically. A EMP more-than-likely would cause a “SCRAM”, the rods would hit the bottom and the reactor would cease producing energy. The only cooling needed would be to remove residual heat, depending on the design, a pump may not even be required.
    A plant “SCRAMing” would only be the first domino, a area wide black-out would occur for the area supplied by that reactor, assuming the other plants can not make up the power loss.
    This very, very basic, it is a bit more complicated. Remember there are workers at the plant 24/7 and if something were to occur, there are procedures in place to combat the casualty.

Profile photo of freedom
    freedom
    Survivalist
    rnews

Mr. Red, on your Regarding the nuclear plants (whos stupid idea was that anyway?) I agree with you!!! I live 25 miles from a nuclear plant so I’m not sure what I will do after week three.

There are many websites with this information, just enter EMP what happens to nuclear power plants? Here are some links for everyone to read,

http://modernsurvivalblog.com/emp-electro-magnetic-pulse/after-the-emp-comes-nuclear-meltdown/

http://truth-out.org/news/item/7301-400-chernobyls-solar-flares-electromagnetic-pulses-and-nuclear-armageddon

http://www.globalresearch.ca/nuclear-power-plants-the-very-real-possibility-of-a-global-nuclear-catastrophe/29951

There are many more on Google.

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

Rroamm,

Thing is at power plants; all the controls are computer operated or digital readouts. I worked for awhile a coal fired plant and all the operational controls were digital. If you had to go out in the plant and turn valves and throw switches, they are bullet proof. In the control room an with an EMP event; disaster.

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

Red,

I suspect that every motor with points (or 2 strokes) will become immediately a high value item. There might be a way to put a distributor on the front end of a motor and run it off the timing chain or something but I didn’t invent it yet. I have a Honda CB550 with 12,000 miles that I’m willing to sell to the high bidder.

Malgus
    Malgus
    Survivalist
    member8

Okay guys, about the nuclear issue…

The vast majority of nuke plants are designed so that they will stage down into ‘safe’ mode. They were designed this way on purpose in the event that power is cut, they won’t go China Syndrome. I wouldn’t worry too much about the nuke plants. Granted, my information comes from that show ‘Life After People’, but it seems that the smart guys who designed the nuke plants were smart enough to take that into consideration… however, taking Murphy’s Law into account, I’m sure there will be one or more that doesn’t do what it’s supposed to do… that is a concern and, for the people living near a nuke plant? Well, my feelings on the matter are “Nobody told you to live there, so… good luck with that.”

Heartless? Yeah. So? I’ve got enough on my plate as it is and frankly I can’t spare any feelings or effort for people I don’t know and who aren’t related to me…

Then there’s this: What are some ways we can get some cars/trucks going? How can we get some comms going so that we can have vocal communication with our defensive perimeter and any scouting/scavenging teams we send out in the space? How are we going to set up some agricultural land for crops and animals?

Well, the first thing you can do is buy an old pre-1980 vehicle. Preferably diesel. If that isn’t in the cards, then if it were me, I would do this:

Say your vehicle is a 1998 Ford F250. These vehicles are controlled by solid state electronics. I would go to an authorized Ford repair garage, preferably one that is connected to a dealership. Ask the mechanics to show you where the solid state electronics are, either using your vehicle or using a schematic. Write down the parts numbers of the motherboards and/or solid state parts. Buy a replacement set of solid state electronics for your particular vehicle NOW. Don’t even take them out of the packaging. I would then put them in a waterproof, airtight container, like a surplus military ammo can with the rubber gasket. Toss in a couple oxygen absorbers/desiccant packs and close it up tight. Don’t forget to clean and treat the rubber gasket with silicone spray. I would take that ammo can and put it in a Faraday Cage. The best ones I’ve seen were made of wooden 2×2’s in the shape of a cube, with thick copper wire interwoven all around it. Connect your Faraday Cage to a thick copper line, and that to a conventional lightning rod and ground it. This should keep your replacement electronics secure. To test your Faraday Cage, get a portable radio and tune in your favorite station. Place it inside the Faraday Cage and then close it up – if the radio goes quiet and fails to receive a signal, you’re okay.

Same thing with comms. Get a half dozen hand-held 2 way radios (Garmin) that run on AA batteries. Then get a solar battery charger and a sh*t-pot of rechargeable AA batteries. All this stuff is solid state, too, so into another ammo can they go, along with O2 absorbers and a desiccant pack. Put that ammo can into the Cage as well. If we get biffed with an EMP, break this stuff out and hand them out to your Squad Leaders and OP/LP guys… Good ones have a range of several miles, so you should be good to hook.

For long range comms, I would suggest an old school non-solid state shortwave radio, such as a Collins 75A-4. Runs on tubes. Yeah, it’s paleo-tech compared to today’s stuff, but it’s EMP proof. Still, I would obtain enough replacement parts and tubes to replace everything twice and put them in their own dedicated ammo can, along with a repair manual and operator’s manual. Put that can in the Cage, just in case. This will allow you to receive information from thousands of miles away, given the right conditions and how far the “bounce” goes… to transmit, you’re going to need a tower and more equipment, as well as a power source. I would invest in at least a Morse key set and learn how to make a field-expedient antennae using regular old copper wire… really, a field expedient directional antennae is quite simple. Copper wire, some long poles, duct tape and time…

Setting up a dedicated space for veggies and animals is going to require forward thinking and preparation now… if you live above the snow belt, any animals you have will need to be fed during the winter. This means you will have to dedicate land to the production of hay and grasses for consumption during winter… keep the animals off that land, let the grasses grow, then harvest/bale them and store them for winter. If you’re lucky, you can get a couple harvests out of one field during spring/summer/fall. Depends on how high you want the grass to grow before you cut it.. If I were trying to put something together like this, I would find a cattle farmer/rancher and ask him how many bales of hay is needed per cow per winter. Since I don’t run cattle, I don’t know. My neighbor does, so I’ll ask him and post it here if nobody else wants to field this…

So, you’re looking at three pieces of land – one for your veggies/tubers, one for your cattle to range on and another for hay production.

One more thing – let’s say everything goes according to plan (it won’t, but let’s just say for the sake of argument) and you have a small community of like-minded folks and enough land to pull this off. To harvest the hay needed, you will either need to:

– Buy replacement solid state electronics for the tractor and store them appropriately.
    – Buy a pre-solid state tractor, like my old Ford redbelly 8N and then stockpile parts (like brakes, spark-plugs, etc)
    – Buy horse-drawn equipment (yes, they still make that stuff) and get animals to pull it.

Hope this gives you all some idea of what is necessary… just my 2 cents..

The wicked flee when none pursueth..." - Proverbs 28:1

Profile photo of freedom
    freedom
    Survivalist
    rnews

Rroamm,, What about all the spent fuel rods, how do you keep them cool? Also when I said gas it is for the back-up generator which they have only two to three weeks in stock. In an EMP, Solar Flare or Cyber Attack all computer controls will die. They are not even sure if the back-up generator will work with all the wiring they have.

Also remember that all the workers have families that need help and food, also they will not have any cars that will work so how will they come to work or go home and is there any plans for the workers food at the plant?

All big questions! Also the street will be full of die cars and trucks that will have to be moved to bring them and the gas to the plant.

These workers may not have light to work at night on the plant. There is so many questions.

Profile photo of freedom
    freedom
    Survivalist
    rnews

Malgus,
    Many states that do not have power plants do store spent fuel rods

When spent fuel rods are used up they are kept onsite and under water to kept them cool. The building they are kept has no special containment so radiation will be in parts of the Country that we do not know for sure.

I think a good investment for the Faraday Cage is a radiation detector. Also most all nuclear power plants have spent fuel rods.

Malgus were do you live, what State? Look at the map of radiation if an EMP happens to the nuclear power plants. I posted the image that I got.

http://gobuydomains.com/USAradiation.html

Profile photo of freedom
    freedom
    Survivalist
    rnews

Malgus,
    I do agree with the ammo can but make sure us use a copper or aluminum tape too because the ammo cans have a rubber on the lid. For the car put in the Faraday Cage some battery cables. Some say that some batteries will go too! So a new car battery maybe a good idea too!

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 67 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.