Tagged: 

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 67 total)
  • Author
    Mr. Red
    Mr. Red
    Survivalist
    member7

So I said in another thread I’d start one on EMP and, to a bit of a lesser extent, CME. The definitions are what I know off the top of my head, and what I’m reading from the Wiki articles that I’ll have linked below.

So, what IS and EMP? It stands for Electro-Magnetic Pulse, and it’s basically just a short pulse, or burst, of electro-magnetic energy, These short bursts of energy can be very harmful to electronic equipment, ranging from the computer you’re reading this on, to tiny microprocessors, to even things such as vehicles. The damage can be irreversible. I’m not going to get into the science of it, because I’d be up to my eye balls even trying to understand some of it myself, let alone attempting to relay such information back to you folks. So if that kind of stuff tickles your fancy, then by all means indulge yourself.

Where does this EMP come from, you ask? Well, it’s a by-product of a nuclear explosion (google Starfish Prime). Depending on the size of the weapon used, as well as the altitude that it detonates at (since it goes by line of sight), the effects of the EMP can vary (there are some charts to be had, just do some searching and you should find a few).

There are also non-nuclear electromagnetic pulse (otherwise known as NNEMP). These are weapons that don’t need a nuclear detonation to create an EMP, and not as powerful. They lack the overall power, as well as range, compared to that of a Nuclear EMP.

As I alluded to earlier, the altitude of the detonation comes into play when we’re talking about the area that will be in the “black zone” as we will call it here. The higher up it is, the larger the line of sight, therefore the bigger black zone in which the effects will be felt. The further out, the weaker the effects seem to be (I say seem, because it’ll vary, depending on what may still work and what doesn’t).

An attack using 5-8 nuclear weapons, rigged to maximize the EMP effect, at key areas throughout the U.S., would cause incomprehensible damage, far worse if those same weapons were used against specific targets/cities. This would be because it would effect the whole nation, not just a few localized events.

I can guarantee you that there are entities out there who know this, and are most likely planning accordingly. Remember a few years back when the N. Koreans did a “nuclear test” which many said failed because of the low yield? Who’s to say they weren’t testing an EMP device? For sure the Russians and Chinese know that with just a few bombs and rockets they can cripple the U.S. for decades.

There are some things you can do to counteract the effects of these devices. Build a faraday cage to house your essential electronics and spare parts, disconnect any external antennas, and if you cannot get, say, a radio, into a faraday cage quick enough, at least have it turned off.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electromagnetic_pulse

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nuclear_electromagnetic_pulse

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Starfish_Prime

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High-altitude_nuclear_explosion

So that’s a little bit on EMP, a threat which I think should be a bigger concern, as we don’t really know what it could do, and that if it is as bad as some people think, then we really need to be ready for that.

Please feel free to add more! I may make a separate thread on CME’s later, mostly an overview like this.

Canadian Patriot. Becoming self-sufficient.

Profile photo of freedom
    freedom
    Survivalist
    rnews

The faraday cage is a good idea, ham radio, weather radio, batteries with some flash lights. The faraday cage will work for CME too!

I do believe this will happen soon. So if you have a well look into a hand well pump for water.
    You need to buy lighters, gas range to cook the food you save. They sale portable gas ranges for camping that can be used in side. Water will stop after a day so store all the water that you can.

Remember there will be no electricity and it may not come back for years so save a lot of candles. The problems with EMP and CME’s is that they will happen at any time.

Profile photo of norbert77
    norbert77
    Survivalist
    member1

Don’t use aluminum foil for your cage. You’re dealing with a magnet. Magnetic field goes through aluminum. Make one out of steel. A double layer like a box in a box is even better. I picked up a cheap fire safe. It is not very hard to get into but it has steel all around.

Profile photo of tweva
    tweva
    Survivalist
    rreallife

There is a cool EMP sheeting product you can use to build or make a small room to place things you would like to protect called Tru-Protect in case you would like to check it out. Also makes panels that help keep a food store room or area cool/even temp. They are at TruProtect.com

nlouise
    nlouise
    Survivalist
    member4

You can use a metal trash can with lid lined with cardboard as a faraday cage too.

Profile photo of freedom
    freedom
    Survivalist
    rnews

I made one of the steel trash can with the cardboard in side as my faraday cage.

I posted it on a web page for everyone to see, http://gobuydomains.com/steeltrashcan.html
    steel trash can

RROAMM
    RROAMM
    Survivalist
    member2

you might want to check out the listed YouTube links.

he as also written a few books on the subject.

RROAMM
    RROAMM
    Survivalist
    member2

For some reason it will not let me link to the other video. here is the title.
    “Introduction to EMP and Faraday Cages” by disasterprepper, a search will find it.

Profile photo of freedom
    freedom
    Survivalist
    rnews

Very good video! RROAMM I do use the Aluminum tape. On the video he tapes the trash can lid which is 100% right, but I will tape the bottom of the trash can and the two handles were there maybe very small openings.

Also in the cand you add the lid lined with cardboard inside like what my image has. Then to add more protection put the radio, batteries, etc in small boxs. Some people put a clear plastic cling wrap around each small box and then add aluminum foil around each box.

Profile photo of MR Ts Haircut
    MR Ts Haircut
    Survivalist
    member1

There is a concern that the North Koreans actually have a satellite in orbit with a missile capable of yielding a blast that could create an EMP… it would explain why we kiss their ass, instead of pursue a hardline with them…

nlouise
    nlouise
    Survivalist
    member4

Yeah. What they said. LOL

Mr. Red
    Mr. Red
    Survivalist
    member7

“There is a concern that the North Koreans actually have a satellite in orbit with a missile capable of yielding a blast that could create an EMP… it would explain why we kiss their ass, instead of pursue a hardline with them”

Yeah I’ve heard about that a couple times. With their so called “failed nuclear test” that had many people saying it was a perfect EMP device and not something designed to wipe out Seoul, that is a grave concern.

Lets say that they do have a massive EMP device on a satellite. They can pop that off over CONUS, then in about 5-6 months, maybe more maybe less, they could take a run at “re-unification by force”. I would imagine that if such an event were to occur, the U.S. would call home the majority of their troops. That would mean little to no U.S. reinforcements for S.Korea, or Japan.

Something to ponder, even if the likelihood of such an even is low, it doesn’t make it impossible.

Profile photo of freedom
    freedom
    Survivalist
    rnews

Once you build a faraday cage you need to buy a ham radio, batteries, flash lights, flash drive with all of your information, a solar charger, maybe a small ipad or like an ipad.

Please I like everyone to add any other thing that they think is very important to this list.

Mr. Red
    Mr. Red
    Survivalist
    member7

For me, alternate power sources would need to be protected. Without that it’d take me a while to rig up something to make electricity (and without tit all of my protected electronic devices would just become a dead weight). Then it would be communications, like you said, a ham radio and other comms gear. I’d love to have hard copies of all the books and pdf’s I have in electronic form, and hopefully I can get around to getting that done, but until then my iPad, laptops, and external hard drives will have to be protected.

Not sure how well some tools and stuff would hold up to an EMP, but I’d think that you might want to protect welding machines and the like. Even stuff like your volt meters may be prone to damage from EMP.

Also, I’d want to keep my cell phone in tact, mainly because of the photo/video option. That being because you can use it for intel gathering, recording important stuff, and, maybe, being able to post them all up on a forum once things begin to normalize to show how you did lol. It’s also a morale booster, keeps you feeling semi-normal.

Malgus
    Malgus
    Survivalist
    member8

From what I understand about EMP’s (at least the man-made ones), if you pop a nuke about 25 miles up, the area affected is pretty localized. So long as you are over the horizon and out of line of sight, you’re fine.

But, if you biff a nuke above the ionosphere, it sets up something called the Compton Effect.

Now, I don’t even pretend to understand nuclear physics, but when a nuke of suitable size is biffed above the ionosphere, when the EMP slams into the atmosphere it gets supercharged. Some sort of cascading effect that results in something resembling a lightning storm. This is the Compton Effect. Which means the line of sight from a great altitude is a cone shape – biff one above Kansas City, depending on the height and power of the nuke, and you’ve just blown most of middle America back to the Middle Ages. Three nukes, biffed East Coast, West Coast and above Kansas City would take out all of CONUS, and even parts of Canada and Mexico…

Anything with solid state electronics in it, if it’s not protected (like your car is parked in an underground parking lot, 4 levels down… you’re probably okay), then it’s DRT (Dead Right There). Any vehicle made after 1980 or so has solid state electronics in it (which means most cars in America) will be DRT – including emergency vehicles, fire trucks, ambulances, life-flights, police cars, prime movers that bring us our Walmart crap, diesel electric trains that bring coal to our power plants, etc… ain’t that a pleasant thought?

While metals conduct electricity, some are better than others. The faraday cages I’ve seen were all made from woven copper wire. I think as long as you’ve got something that will route the electro-magnetic pulse around your stuff and into the ground, like a lightning rod, you’re good to hook…

The wicked flee when none pursueth..." - Proverbs 28:1

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 67 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.