Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Danie Theron
    Danie Theron
    Survivalist
    member3

The Dunning–Kruger effect is a cognitive bias in which unskilled individuals suffer from illusory superiority, mistakenly rating their ability much higher than is accurate. This bias is attributed to a metacognitive inability of the unskilled to recognize their ineptitude. Actual competence may weaken self-confidence, as competent individuals may falsely assume that others have an equivalent understanding.

http://www.spring.org.uk/2012/06/the-dunning-kruger-effect-why-the-incompetent-dont-know-theyre-incompetent.php

My opinion:
    It is the kryptonite of the tactical, operational, and preparedness world and there is no escaping it. It is winning the battle for common sense easily – no contest.

What do you think?

Where do you notice it?

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

Mostly on American Idol.

Profile photo of tweva
    tweva
    Survivalist
    rreallife

1974t150v – don’t watch tv but not in a vacuum – made me laugh.

Danie Theron – I know I see it in myself, (always at some later juncture – might even take years! :) )…but I also see it in so many others, every day in every way….I think it is more or less, a human characteristic. I try to not beat myself up about it when the fog clears and I see what an ass I can be. The good thing is that ‘they’ (those ‘suffering’ from the Dunning-Krueger effect are the ones that have to live with the result of their own illusions. …unless you are a lemming, don’t think for yourself…and choose to blindly follow

Profile photo of Danie Theron
    Danie Theron
    Survivalist
    member3

1974t150v – very funny!

Tweva – I have been noticing your habit of adding good common sense to threads. I enjoy your responses. This one is no exception. I will admit, that I have been on both ends of the Dunning-Kruger effect for sure. I just shake my head when I think back to what a dumbass I acted like before I had any clue what I was talking about.

These days I try to remind myself that “I don’t know what I don’t know” and……even on areas that I think I have experience and educated in – truth be told – there is still so much to learn from those with vastly more experience.

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

The more you know the more you realize what you don’t know. If people were not delusional about their abilities there would be no optimism or creative invention.

wildartist
    wildartist
    Survivalist
    member7

And it works in reverse, also. Many people seriously underestimate Bushrat (my husband) because he is quiet and unassuming (strong inside), no boasting or bragging. Yet he has vast knowledge and experience with firearms, mob scenes, surviving, defensive strategy, etc. In fact he has taught in many of these areas for corporations.

When I met him, I saw his inner strength which most women were blind to. (He had not had a date in two years…) As soon as we were a couple, women began to chase him. But of course, I am protective of what I value ;)

I agree, most people are unaware of how little they know. This can be a huge problem choosing associates in a survival situation; e.g., there is one ex-military man who is becoming a good friend. We trust him and would in a bad situation. But, although he reloads (as does Bushrat) he is careless about which primers and powders, etc, that he uses. Just anything he has on hand. Never tries to really educate himself. Bushrat and I cringe when he uses our chronograph…and stand behind a tree.

On the other hand, we each need the humility to seek more knowledge, skills, experience, and hopefully–wisdom to use them all correctly and at the right time. Arrogance kills.

Hannah
    Hannah
    Survivalist
    member6

Great info.
    Thanks everyone!
    Hannah

Darin Prentice
    Darin Prentice
    Survivalist
    member4

i always wondered, so thats what its called.
    good info.
    would that be the same thing as mob mentality?

Prepare, Preserve, Protect...

Profile photo of matt76
    matt76
    Survivalist
    member8

I think this affect is both human nature and a trained response to some extent. The human brain does not like to be wrong. I saw a TV show on the science channel about this. They tested people with 2 groups of words. After viewing the groups they were asked to pick the one word from memory that was in both groups. Truth was none of the words were the same in either group but there was an association between two words, yet people picked these two words as the same. The brain did not want to be wrong or admit it didn’t know. So it recognized the association as the same word. I think greed has trained this affect into a lot of people as well. How many times have you seen someone get a job or position because they talked a good game but couldn’t back it up. They really thought they could do it but they were fooling themselves and it impacts everyone involved. That is why it is good to have trusted people in your group of different ages and backgrounds for perspective. Of coarse there is always the aspect of young and dumb too lol. Experience is always the best but cruelest teacher and you rarely forget it’s lessons.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.