Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of freedom
    freedom
    Survivalist
    rnews
    Profile photo of Novus Ordo
    Novus Ordo
    Hunter
    rprepper

Hey Freedom – interesting, we’ll have to see if it lasts. I usually don’t pay attention to new designs until they’ve been around a few years and pass the reliability test the public gives them. Saw a UTS in action at a NC range – wasn’t impressed. ****** jammed and next thing you know had the rangemaster and two or three others crowded around trying to “figure it out” – they never did in the three hours I was there. Maybe some of the gun mags will put it through a torture test.

Arms discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property... mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them.
    - Thomas Paine

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

I thought the write up presented a few design aspects that could lead to a reliable gun. It sounds like a true pump action double barrel.

Profile photo of freedom
    freedom
    Survivalist
    rnews

Yes 74, it is not like the UTS design, more like a pump action double barrel.

Novus Ordo Yes we will see in a few years and pass the reliability test the public gives them but this design looks like a simple one that will not have the problems of the others have had.

Profile photo of sledjockey
    sledjockey
    Bushcrafter
    member8

It looks like a double barrel KSG.

I find it interesting as to how many people have problems with both the UTS and KSG. Videos show that the selector switch is the main reason for jams with the UTS. If you actually choose either the left or right tube AND DON’T SHORT STROKE IT the firearm will function without issue. The KSG even has a section in the instruction book that tells you that the reason people have problems with it jamming is due to short stroking it. Videos all over the Internet show the same thing.

Check out this review and what this guy says about the KSG. Most importantly, check out how quickly he gets shots off. When you see him jam it up you can see that he messed up the stroke while chamber the next round.

I am sure that the design of all three shotguns could be better and there would be many fewer jams if they were changed over to a semi auto action. The bad rep that these shotguns suffer from just kind of annoys me since 90% of the problems can be traced back to user error. Maybe it is because I work in IT and watching users do stupid things and then blame us sort of parallels what I am seeing in these shotgun reviews. Check out the first couple minutes of this idiot……

This is a great example. As you watch both these guys cycle the shotgun, it is 100% their fault. They would have problems with most brand new shotguns if they cycled it the same way. If you look around 5:12 he even says that he is short stroking it and that is causing the jams. In reference to the cuts on his arm, it only makes sense that tucking your arm down and into the path of an ejected shell might result in it hitting you. Maybe put your elbow up to move your arm out of the way? Just saying…….

When I first ran into the KSG I bought I was debating if it was going to be a catch and release where I just made a few hundred bucks and called it a day or if I was going to keep it. After doing some research and messing around with it a little bit, I must say that I can see how people used to M series Benelli or pumps like the old Mossberg 500 would have problems with the KSG. You really have to commit to racking in a new shell. The action is very tight and not giving it a solid, smooth stroke doesn’t even feel right with it empty let alone racking a shell.

Sorry if I am a bit on a soapbox about this, but user error being the reason that a product gets a bad reputation is just pathetic in my mind. I classify these mouth breathers into the same group that require a warning label on a to-go cup of coffee.

http://ageofdecadence.com

Profile photo of freedom
    freedom
    Survivalist
    rnews

I do agree that many of the problems are from user error. I just think the dp 12 is not the same since when you pump it you get two shots ready at the same time. The other two are the same as any other shotgun just they get the shooter more ammo to shoot. I think the idea of having two shoots without having to pump the shotgun is faster I think.

sledjockey
    Bushcrafter
    member8

<div class=”d4p-bbp-quote-title”>freedom wrote:</div>I do agree that many of the problems are from user error. I just think the dp 12 is not the same since when you pump it you get two shots ready at the same time. The other two are the same as any other shotgun just they get the shooter more ammo to shoot. I think the idea of having two shoots without having to pump the shotgun is faster I think.

I can see your point and the appeal. It might very well be a superior design and I would love to see how these work. I did notice that there is only one trigger and it doesn’t look like a rocker style trigger. This would mean that either you have no control over which barrel shoots or there is some sort of selector switch, unless I am missing something in the pictures.

Profile photo of freedom
    freedom
    Survivalist
    rnews

It says in the article that “Two rounds are chambered with each pump; the trigger is then pulled two times, the first to fire the right barrel, the second to fire the left barrel.” So yes only one trigger which is another great new thing that the user doesn’t have to remember if you had two triggers. With this you just fire again an again then pump once and ready for two more shots.

sledjockey
    Bushcrafter
    member8

I didn’t see that, but then again I am a bit preoccupied. I am trying to do some paperwork stuff at work and keep having to distract myself so that my mind resets.

I really hate doing paperwork, but it is a necessary evil.

The way that it doesn’t allow you to choose magazine/barrel would make it hard to load up separate loads and choose which you are going to use. Not sure how big of an issue that is for most people, but it might be if you wanted to separate slugs from buckshot for instance.

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

Sled,
    I’m pretty certain on a Winchester 21 there is a selector for choosing what barrel to fire. On my OU I can choose both barrels or just the bottom. It would be nice to know how they set this up.

Profile photo of freedom
    freedom
    Survivalist
    rnews

74, ““Two rounds are chambered with each pump; the trigger is then pulled two times, the first to fire the right barrel, the second to fire the left barrel.” So you just press the trigger two times and then pump and you have two more shots, it is simple, works just like a 870 shotgun but it has two barrels and you shoot two time every time you pump.

sledjockey
    Bushcrafter
    member8

<div class=”d4p-bbp-quote-title”>74 wrote:</div>Sled,<br>
    I’m pretty certain on a Winchester 21 there is a selector for choosing what barrel to fire. On my OU I can choose both barrels or just the bottom. It would be nice to know how they set this up.

My old Stevens has 2 triggers, but the old Beretta O&U I sold to my brother had a rocker style trigger where you could pull from the top for right and bottom for left. One of my Dad’s old Savage SxS has one trigger that doesn’t let you select. First pull is right, second is left. Both are same choke, though.

I guess it doesn’t matter too much that you can’t choose the barrel or the magazine tube you are firing from, but just another thing that some will hate while others will praise its glory. Guess that is why they make different products… That sneaky guys!

chester
    chester
    Survivalist
    member7

I’ll pass for SHTF SHOTGUN. Trust my Remington 870/Mossberg 500. Like having spare parts on hand and simplicty.

Profile photo of freedom
    freedom
    Survivalist
    rnews

chester, I do agree with you on that, I own two Remington 870. I just liked the article on this new idea which is made by a good company. But will stay with the 870.

chester
    chester
    Survivalist
    member7

Yep. Good to keep abreast of what’s out there.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.