Tagged: , ,

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    Whirlibird
    Whirlibird
    Survivalist
    member10

Much like so many this time of year, I’m suffering from a bug one of my kids brought home from school.
    The usual has happened, massive headache, sore throat turns into full blown sinus infection and chest congestion with constant sinus drainage.

My sinus’s are always bad, but this just makes it so much more miserable.

What do you have in your stockpiles/cabinets to combat the common cold?
    Before it becomes much worse?

wildartist
    wildartist
    Survivalist
    member7

I have found the most effective remedy is rest. Complete rest. Which most of us cannot afford, and the situation would probably get worse if things go down.

Tolik
    Tolik
    Survivalist
    member10

Allergies would also be bad if you had no meds , they also sap your energy , cause lack of sleep , etc.

Profile photo of freedom
    freedom
    Survivalist
    rnews

I studied medicine but only practiced for two years and left it and got into business. There are some thing that will help but the flu is just a wait and let the body take the virus on.

For the sore throat gargle with one part water with one part apple cider vinegar. The vinegar will kill the virus in the throat, also some use salt with water but the salt need to be the one that has iodine in it. Another one is gargle with peroxide with water.

For the sinus use salt with water and use a dropper and drop in the nose this may help some.
    As a perpper you need to save aspirin, ibuprofen.
    Also save some zinc and start taking the minute you feel you are coming up with something.

I drink a lot of green tea with honey, hot.

Tolik
    Tolik
    Survivalist
    member10

A tablespoon of cider vinegar in half a glass of water every day , is good for a kidney infection . I just thought of that when you mentioned vinegar.

Profile photo of freedom
    freedom
    Survivalist
    rnews

cider vinegar will kill nail fungus too, just put it on the nail two to three time a day and you will see it die.

elijah
    elijah
    Prepper
    member6

I have found that paracetemol/acetaminophen is surprisingly effective in reducing the collateral effects of a cold or the flu. It won’t make the illness end any faster but it can make life a bit more endurable.

On a more long term self protection basis I have found a combination of two things has helped me avoid colds and flus for the past several years.

One is to be well tanked up on vitamins B and C and minerals; not just the minimum daily recommendation but the max (if I had the size of that dosage on hand I’d quote it). However, this takes weeks to build up and must be maintained constantly. Starting to take Vitamin C doesn’t do a lot once you already have the cold. If you eat a lot of fruit and vegetables, find out the nutrition amount in what you eat in case you need to top the food up with supplements. Vitamins B and C are water soluble and must be taken every day to maintain the dosage level.

As I understand it vitamins and minerals help strengthen cell walls. Viruses reproduce by cutting through your cell walls and taking over the cell’s reproductive functions to make more of itself, which in turn go out to attack more cells, leading to a population explosion of virus and their chemical wastes in your body. By being inside a body cell the virus is protected from the body’s immune response, which see the cell as a part of the body. By toughening up your cell membranes you stop the virus from breaking through, or at least slows the virus down long enough for a passing white cell to come and destroy the virus while it doesn’t have the protection of the inside of a cell.

The second suggestion is to train everyone in the family to get out of the habit of touching fingers to the face. Studies have shown that most people touch all sorts of things which are contaminated with bugs, then touch their mouths, tongues, eyes or inside their noses, dozens or hundreds of times per day. This passes bugs from the outside world to the nice warm, nutrient-rich environment of the human body. It’s a hard habit to break, but every success is a victory. Also, developing a habit of sanitizing the hands before having to touch the face is good hygienic practice, as well as before touching any food.

The third thing I want to suggest generally is that people who have any contagious disease that can be transmitted by touch or through the air should stay at home until recovered, if that is at all possible. A lot of other people would not get sick world-wide if more people practiced voluntary quarantine, and if sick kids were kept home from school. I know not everyone has the luxury of staying home, but on the other hand no-one is going to appreciate or admire people who insist on “soldiering on bravely” despite their illness if they receive a disease from them. Employers should also be educated that keeping one sick person at home on full pay is cheaper than dozens more having time off from work because of an illness caught from the first sick person who felt they had to go to work because they couldn’t afford to go without the pay.

Finally, when you are out and about be aware of people around you coughing or sneezing, and don’t walk into any space where they have just been. It might merely be an allergy but don’t assume that. Don’t get into a lift/elevator or a car or any confined space if you can avoid it if someone is obviously ill. If you can’t avoid it then sanitize your face, lips, nose and hands (with special attention to the finger tips if you have, say, touched the lift buttons or door handle) as soon as you can.

Bugs Bunny: "I speak softly, but I carry a big stick."
    Yosemite Sam: "Oh yeah? Well I speak LOUD! and I carry a BIGGER stick! and I use it, too!" BAM!

Profile photo of freedom
    freedom
    Survivalist
    rnews

elijah, vitamins B and C are very good for you and you are right they need to be taken before the cold or flu. Some say that Echinacea and Zinc are also good but the same applies that you need to be taking them before you get the cold or flu.

I have everyday two glasses of green with white tea and echinacea tea all together. I think it does help.

elijah
    elijah
    Prepper
    member6

^^^ Sounds like a good idea, freedom.

Yosemite Sam: "Oh yeah? Well I speak LOUD! and I carry a BIGGER stick! and I use it, too!" BAM!

Profile photo of freedom
    freedom
    Survivalist
    rnews

elijah, This is the Echinacea tea I add to my green and white tea. Link to were I buy it. They also have some very good products. http://traditionalmedicinals.com/products/echinacea-plus/

Selco
    Selco
    Survivalist
    member6

Combination of simple hot chicken soup, vitamin C together with rest ant lot of fluids work very good in my case.

Profile photo of freedom
    freedom
    Survivalist
    rnews

Selco, Thanks! I forgot to add chicken soup, there are so many studies on why does chicken soup slows down the flu. They still do not know but it works.

Jay
    Jay
    Survivalist
    member3

Hey there Whirlibird, I just recovered from a cold and my wife still struggles with it.

What I learned in the last couple of years is start treating yourself early. This time I started with some saline nose spray right when I felt I was getting sick because I read this prevents the buildup of the virus / bacteria in your nose.

Often the mucus from your nose gives you the sinus infection and cough later on. I did this for 3 days along with eating plenty of fruits and vegetables and resting and almost didn’t get any major symptoms. After I was getting better again my wife got it and she didn’t really care too much about it first and now she has a pretty bad cough and had fever the days before.

Just my personal experience with it. Hope you get better soon!

Alea iacta est ("The die has been cast")

elijah
    elijah
    Prepper
    member6

One thing I forgot to suggest above is Andrographis, a herbal tonic, which is said to help stimulate the immune system.

The person I share house with has used it several times when she has felt the early symptoms of a cold of flu coming on. She said the symptoms after that were much milder and the cold was shorter in duration. I know this doesn’t qualify as empirical evidence, but it’s here for what it’s worth.

Anyone considering trying it should check on it’s possible collateral effects first.

http://www.webmd.com/vitamins-supplements/ingredientmono-973-ANDROGRAPHIS.aspx?activeIngredientId=973&activeIngredientName=ANDROGRAPHIS

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Andrographis_paniculata

Whirlibird
    Whirlibird
    Survivalist
    member10

Selco, oddly enough, just heating up a jar of my homemade chicken and rice soup.
    Need to make some more, I’m almost out.

For those who recommended various methods and items, thanks.
    The sinus infection is chronic, it never fully goes away.

I ask how one would continue to get or acquire those same items post-SHTF?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.