Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

Who’s next?

“Iran’s cyber army has propelled itself into one of the world’s best. They have become very good at their craft and have probably inserted malware into the electric grids of many, many, other countries—probably even the United States. Over the past twelve months we know that Iran has successfully and repeatedly broken into the defensive systems networks”

http://observer.com/2015/04/iran-flexes-its-power-by-transporting-turkey-to-the-stone-ages/

Profile photo of MountainBiker
    MountainBiker
    Survivalist
    member10

I was wondering about how Turkey was able to restore power after 12 hours but then I saw the answer in the article. Iran turned the power back on when they figured Turkey had gotten the message. That speaks to Iran having taken control of the grid rather than just damaging it. To me that speaks to a higher level of sophistication.
    If they can do this to Turkey then I assume they can do this to others. This will not end well.

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

This a giant negotiation tool for Iran. I can’t understand how Iran can commit an act of war and no one is reacting to it.

Profile photo of Brulen
    Brulen
    Survivalist
    member9

This a giant negotiation tool for Iran. I can’t understand how Iran can commit an act of war and no one is reacting to it.

Ralph Peters: Iran building a new Persian empire… Of religion, of course.

The oligarchy in the U.S. loves totalitarians. Obama Hillary Bill Bush1 Bush2 Bush3. Money oil and power.

Turkey will bow down to the “whoever pays best”. Good thing they are not in Nato.

An act of war or just a little reminder who their boss is in the ME. Hint, not the two headed beast.

MountainBiker
    Survivalist
    member10

74, for their to be action following “an act of war” they’d need to acknowledge that it happened. In turn they’d have to tell the public what it is they are doing to protect the public. Perhaps some govt. entity would be held accountable for not having protected the public. So they will make believe it didn’t happen. I don’t doubt but that there is some pretty high stakes blackmail going on in the background. Maybe this is why Iran is walking all over ‘Bams in the nuke negotiations. He knows he can’t push them too far?

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

MB, Your thoughts reflect mine exactly. I’m also wondering the extent of Iran’s capabilities. Turning off the power in Turkey was an obvious message to the whole world, we can do this to you.

MountainBiker
    Survivalist
    member10

Thinking about this more if Iran has the ability to actually take control of an electric grid, odds are they are not the only ones with this capability. I wonder if the situation between the U.S., Russia, China, and maybe a couple others is not unlike the old US – Soviet Union Cold War mutually assured destruction. Each knows they will suffer the same fate if they use this capability? Iran on the other hand could get away with it for a short duration with Turkey because Turkey couldn’t fight back and because the several world powers would look the other way if it just for a short duration?

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

MB, I question whether or not a cyber attack is traceable if there isn’t any electrical power. I think we are sitting ducks. The US doesn’t have the motive or stomach to launch a first strike of any nature and are strictly reactionary. So we sit here hoping everyone else plays nice. I don’t think anyone else in the sandbox can be trusted not to throw sand in our eyes.

Profile photo of namelus
    namelus
    Survivalist
    member7

if you wanted a safe grid you would only have to go back to old way of distribution, hard to hack a lever, so you would have to go and physically switch it. This new “smart grid” is a invisible cage with questionable safety and security.

what do you mean 74 did Syria, Afghanistan, Iraq or Libya attack you? USA does attack first most times. Throwing sand at people telling them their choices for their countries are invalid compared to USA view of how THEIR country should be run and elected by THEIR people is pretty much being the biggest bully sand thrower sand kicker in the sand box… Now wonder why you are disliked? How would USA react to such a thing …. yeah but boy those other places are way out of line….. are you serious?

The foreign policy of active intervention causes this the pidgins are coming home to roost.

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

Namelus, I’m sorry l should clarify my statement, of the nations with nuclear capabilities, I don’t see the US attempting a first strike. Since my response was about nuclear assured destruction I thought that would be understood. Now that anyone with a laptop can hack a system it puts a whole new face on losing the grid.

MountainBiker
    Survivalist
    member10

How any country knows who is behind cyberattacks is above my pay grade but I assume all of the major players with such capabilities would know where such an attack emanated from. The nature of such an attack might dictate the response. Damaging the grid in a manner that we knew it wasn’t coming back in any timeframe that mattered would be something very different than a short term takeover such as recently happened to Turkey. Perhaps more importantly is who the President is at that time. Not a very reassuring thought currently.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.