Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    elijah
    elijah
    Prepper
    member6

As preppers/survivalists we focus on what is to come. I’m kicking around an idea of presenting a sound, hermeneutic examination of Bible prophecy concerning the End Times of this Age.

I’m not maintaining that the hard times we see coming are necessarily the End Times the Bible talks about; after all, there have been hard times throughout history and none so far have been the end. But neither do I exclude the possibility, and I’m inclined to think that it is coming soon. [I should be up front and say that the ‘End Times’ are not the end of the world, but the end of the current age.]

Now, I know well that there are those here who have no regard for the Bible, and we are all free to decide as we choose. I’m also aware that my position of literal, historic, hermeneutic interpretation would likely differ from some others. But since we do have a Religion & Faith board maybe it’s worth doing.

Bugs Bunny: "I speak softly, but I carry a big stick."
    Yosemite Sam: "Oh yeah? Well I speak LOUD! and I carry a BIGGER stick! and I use it, too!" BAM!

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

<div class=”d4p-bbp-quote-title”>elijah wrote:</div>I’m not maintaining that the hard times we see coming are necessarily the End Times the Bible talks about; after all, there have been hard times throughout history and none so far have been the end. But neither do I exclude the possibility

I have to believe that the advanced parts of the world certainly have more capability to create end times conditions then anytime in history. The actual total destruction of the world is not within man’s capability, destroying much of the known life forms is possible.

Profile photo of matt76
    matt76
    Survivalist
    member8

<div class=”d4p-bbp-quote-title”>elijah wrote:</div>I’m not maintaining that the hard times we see coming are necessarily the End Times the Bible talks about; after all, there have been hard times throughout history and none so far have been the end. But neither do I exclude the possibility, and I’m inclined to think that it is coming soon

You are correct that we have seen hard times throughout history but never before have we seen so many things going on in the regions outlined in those prophecies that seems to line up. I agree that we may not be in the “End Times” but I believe at the very least we are seeing the foundations being laid for that period in time. I would be glad to put my 2 cents in on this discussion and share any biblical knowledge I have. There are several different prophecies dealing with several different aspects of the end times. Is there one in particular you want to start with?

Lone Eagle
    Lone Eagle
    Prepper
    member3

This is exactly why Jesus told His disciples, “No man knows the day and hour but the Father, not even I.” There have been many times throughout history man thought it was over, only to have things bounce back. Yes, there are signs we can watch for. For instance, everyone thought Pope John Paul II was the Antichrist after he was shot(grievous wound that was healed). It turned out to be farther from the truth. Y2K, people were dumping everything because they thought that was it. Recently, you had the Harold Camping fiasco. Now, you have the unrest in the MidEast, and people beginning to pipe up.

I do not go about my daily toil worrying about “the last day”. I have accepted my mortality.

Never challenge a man who has nothing left to lose.

Profile photo of matt76
    matt76
    Survivalist
    member8

I accept my mortality too. I am not saying sell everything and go sit on a mountain somewhere waiting for Jesus to come back but we are to be watchful and expectant. We were instructed to live our physical lives as if he is not coming and live spiritually as if he is coming tomorrow. We are told no one knows the day or the hour but we can know the season. Jesus briefly explains it in Matthew 24.

Profile photo of warpedrazorback
    warpedrazorback
    Survivalist
    member3

I wasn’t going to reply to this post. Just for insight, I’m essentially an atheist with a twist: I believe in forces we humans cannot possibly understand; perhaps we never will. I think many religions have tapped into a sliver of the truth, but they are inevitably corrupted by the perspectives of the authors of their writings. That being said, I am pretty well read on the Abrahamic religions (along with a few others), and I am fascinated by prophecy. I think sometimes, very rarely, certain people are granted a momentary glimpse into what may be.

The biblical books of Daniel and Ezekiel especially interest me. There is a pretty robust write-up with a focus on Ezekiel here: http://trackingbibleprophecy.com/gog_magog.php
    I don’t think the author is completely spot on. I disagree with him on some points, but his work is very well grounded in the writings and he gives pretty good references and illustrations.
    The reason I wasn’t going to post was because I figured the timeline was ambiguous at best. However, in light of the Israel/Hamas ceasefire announced today (and the sense of jubilation resulting from it), with Iran threatening a surprise attack right on the heels of the ceasefire, and Russia’s involvement with some of its old satellite nations, it appears as though things may be progressing more quickly than I imagined! Time will tell.

elijah
    elijah
    Prepper
    member6

>post redacted as it seems to not have clarified anything but caused some misunderstanding. Sorry to all involved.<

Yosemite Sam: "Oh yeah? Well I speak LOUD! and I carry a BIGGER stick! and I use it, too!" BAM!

warpedrazorback
    Survivalist
    member3

elijah: I’m going to be deliberately blunt. What I just read your post to say is “I might not do it because it’s hard.” As I said, I’m agnostic at best, but I respect conviction in others, and encourage it as long as it’s not despotic. Do what your heart tells you is right. True integrity is acting, thinking, feeling, and speaking as a whole person. If your heart tells you writing this is right, but your thinking tells you not to because it might be difficult, you are out of your integrity.

If you don’t want feedback on what you write, maybe you should start a closed blog. But you also said “in case I have some area in which I have yet to learn I’m wrong”. How will you learn if you aren’t open to input from external sources?

elijah
    elijah
    Prepper
    member6

>Redacted as unnecessary.<

warpedrazorback
    Survivalist
    member3

I hope I didn’t come across as if I’m trying to shut you down. I’m actually trying to encourage you. I think a topic on apocalyptic prophecy would be interesting and insightful.

elijah
    elijah
    Prepper
    member6

Thank you for your clarification of what you were saying and I have no hard feelings, and I understand you may see some value in such a topic. I am truly thinking hard about it and I have developed an idea or two, so I hope I’ll be able to move forward in a useful way.

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

Well we seem to have plagues, earthquakes, volcanoes and wars of all nations. If rivers start flowing from Jerusalem there shouldn’t be much doubt.

Profile photo of matt76
    matt76
    Survivalist
    member8

There are lot of views out there regarding these prophecies and there are several layers to each prophecy as well. I would recommend picking a particular portion of these prophecies and discuss them. If we don’t I believe this thread will lose traction. There is just to much there to just say lets talk about end times prophecy. Elijah is there any particular place you would like to start?

elijah
    elijah
    Prepper
    member6

Well, matt76, I’m thinking that first establishing a foundation might be the way to go.

Before going onto future prophecy, setting a framework of understanding about how already fulfilled prophecy has worked out should be the pattern to understand how future prophecy with play out; ie, how literal, how allegorical, how symbolic the language used, were the prophecies.

Also, looking at the purpose of prophecy and how God uses this information given to us.

I might also have to address the objections that some have made over the years, such as the accusation that the prophecies were written after the events took place and are a fraud, or the issue that anyone can [and do] read whatever interpretation they want into prophecy so that it seems to say what they want it to say.

My position is that God gave us his Bible not to confuse us, but for us to understand what he is saying. Because of this I don’t believe that it means anything other than what he intends, and the real benefit of the Bible is to learn what that God means. Because of this I may have to spend some time talking about the origin of the Bible and it’s trustworthiness, because if it’s wrong then it isn’t trustworthy and the prophecies mean nothing reliable.

As can be seen, this would be a major work and is why I hesitated to get started on it. My training is fairly good on these subjects and I’ve spent some years in Bible college, but I’m not a theologian or expert [and theologians and experts are sometimes wrong, too]; I will do my best.

All this foundation stuff may be old hat to some who read what I may write and they may not need it, but I know that some who may read the posts may be quite unfamiliar with part or all of the subject, so I want to help everyone who puts in their time into reading those posts.

I think I’ll work on assembling some information together and post it in a new thread rather than as a continuation of this one. Each subsequent installment will likely be a new thread of a series, if we continue on that far, to allow each new part to be thoroughly discussed without the different installments getting confused.

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

Eli,
    I’m very interested to see/read what you will be posting.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘The Bible End Time Prophecies’ is closed to new replies.