Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Mr. Red
    Mr. Red
    Survivalist
    member7

Found a neat spot that offers a “Ham Radio Starter Kit” using the Uv5R, seems like a decent price for what you’re getting.

http://www.buytwowayradios.com/products/btwr-essentials/gsk-ham-uv5r.aspx

I have some extra prepping money stored away, I might give into the temptation and finally get my feet wet in amateur radio with this as a cheap starting point to begin to figure out the whole world of Ham.

Canadian Patriot. Becoming self-sufficient.

Mr. Red
    Mr. Red
    Survivalist
    member7

So I ordered that kit. I’ll post up about my initial thoughts on it once I get it in a couple weeks.

Profile photo of Glockerman
    Glockerman
    Survivalist
    member2

One complaint I’ve heard from other hams on the Baofeng is that they are hard to program, and really benefits from the use of computer programmig software. I don’t have one, I’ve got Yaesu; but all the new radios are menu driven for programming. Other than that, they generally get good reviews.

The price on the Baofengs and Wouxuns are nice.

Mr. Red
    Mr. Red
    Survivalist
    member7

Honestly I had no problem with programming it. Didn’t used the software that came with the kit, but I went the route of using CHIRP, and it worked great. I’ll do a bit more of an in-depth review of it once I’ve played around with it enough.

Profile photo of sledjockey
    sledjockey
    Bushcrafter
    member8

I agree that CHIRP is the way to go with programming these radios. The software that comes with the radio is very difficult to use and does not always send the correct settings to the HT.

The only problem you will have with this radio is that your voice will not be as loud as if you were talking via a better HT. It is not hard to tell the Baofeng’s over the airwaves.

Now don’t get me wrong, I have 2 of them put back “just in case.” One in my truck and one in a metal box at home. My son has 2 as well. They are cheap to purchase and do work, so there is nothing wrong with that. Just be aware that you will want a better one in a very short period of time IF you enjoy the hobby.

http://ageofdecadence.com

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.