Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of matt76
    matt76
    Survivalist
    member8

We often talk about hiding our preps and other items here. Most are very familiar with Ghillie Suites and other available camouflage but what about hiding in plain view. I can remember as a child playing hide and seek. I was the youngest in our group and usually the smallest. I often found that by the time I made it to a good hiding place someone else was already there. I learned to hide in those spots where no one would look or thought there was no way someone would hide there. It amazes me how many things we walk right past and never see even though it is right in front of us. Does anybody else have any good suggestions?

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Profile photo of freedom
    freedom
    Survivalist
    rnews

One good area is baseboard in a house, find the right one to remove and in the wall cavity you can hide money, a gun, jewelry and more.

Profile photo of stingray
    stingray
    Survivalist
    member2

Like most things….it depends! It depends on how quickly you need access to what you hide and who’s looking for it (among other things). If you can effectively seal the object there are very few places as secure as the bottom of a septic tank ;-).

Profile photo of undeRGRönd
    undeRGRönd
    Survivalist
    member8

LOL
    Septic Tank

No one would want to explore that for long ;)

"ROGUE ELECTRICIAN" Hoping to be around to re-energize the New World.....

Cogito, ergo armatus sum

Profile photo of Novus Ordo
    Novus Ordo
    Hunter
    rprepper

To add to Freedom’s suggestion – specifically the baseboard or toe kick board of your bathroom and kitchen cabinets. If you pull the drawers out or notice that the bottom of the cabinets are not actually on the floor/slab – that space underneath can be utilized and it’s a lot of space if you have a large kitchen. There’s usually at least 3-4 inches under the entire cabinet sections. How to modify – (1) cut or pry off the kickboard under the cabinet. (2) remove nails or screws. (3) install cabinet magnets under the cabinet base and metal holders to the kickboard. (4) Stack items, replace kickboard. Only the most observant will notice this and if you make it tight enough at the joints it won’t be noticed at all. Here’s a picture of a drawer made to fit the same space.

http://media-cache-ec0.pinimg.com/736x/3d/cb/46/3dcb46afa14cb9c625b8e3ff579cf4bf.jpg

Second – top of cabinets if you have the fancy moulding up top. Buy some similar furniture grade door skin type material and cut to fit the very top of the moulding which will usually create a space underneath. Screw it down and put decorative pots, plants or other on top. From all appearances it looks like the factory did it and no one will think to look there.

Third – find a good location to mount a mirror or mirror/coat rack. Cut open the wall board a few inches smaller than the mirror so it’s completely hidden when the mirror is hung. Make some custom shelves. Here’s one that’s a custom unit that allows the mirror to “open”.

http://media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/c8/eb/52/c8eb52c5b5cb2676cd57b50195522ddd.jpg

This site has many more ideas – http://www.stashvault.com/

Septic tank – I like that! Just like the gold bars they hid on “Klondike”…

Arms discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property... mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them.
    - Thomas Paine

Novus Ordo
    Hunter
    rprepper

And some custom wall inserts here – fairly economical

http://www.ar15news.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/11/Tactical-Walls-Large-Container-Install.jpg

http://tacticalwalls.com/

Arms discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property... mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them.
    - Thomas Paine

Novus Ordo
    Hunter
    rprepper

This guy has some serious creativity – no idea on cost, but it’s impressive to say the least with even the locks hidden.

- Thomas Paine

Selco
    Selco
    Survivalist
    member6

Septic tank sounds cool :)
    Traditionally here weapon could be found inside stables, dug in, or similar. But it is almost become first place for someone to look.
    I like ideas of hiding in plain sight, like hiding cans of small bags of food inside doors (between two plates).

Profile photo of freedom
    freedom
    Survivalist
    rnews

The reason I like the baseboard of a home is because the criminals would have to go though all the house baseboards looking to see which baseboard it maybe hiding valuables in. They do not like to take to long so it will not be one they will look for. I also like house attic because there are so many places in the attic that it would take the criminals hours to find. The Septic Tank is a very good one, you just have to make it water proof.

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

Using the baseboard is a great spot. It does need to be a tall style at least 6″ unless you cut away the plate between the studs. Using an air duct could serve the same purpose. It would keep thieves from finding it but not LE.

Profile photo of Broadside
    Broadside
    Survivalist
    member3

Fake duct work or “2 pipe in the basement could work if it looked like it actually went someplace. You could probably fit quite a bit of supplies in there with no one the wiser.

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

The best might be 3 or 4 inch pipe installed to look like part of the plumbing drain pipe.

Whirlibird
    Whirlibird
    Survivalist
    member10

Septic tank, bad idea.
    On more than one occasion I watched a tank get pumped during a warrant service.

I spent ten years searching for stolen goods, dope, guns and money.

If you can get to it easily, it can be found.
    Loose floorboards , the floor is coming up.
    Loose mopboard, its coming off.
    Paint lines don’t match, you guess.
    Plumbing, you tap on the pipes, one sounds wrong, guess what.

Plain sight? I’ve found dope, cash and guns in flour canisters, in cereal boxes, inside a couch. You name it, its been used.

And with the proliferation of fiber optic cameras, places you couldn’t check 20 years ago are easy now.

More to follow.

Profile photo of matt76
    matt76
    Survivalist
    member8

Inside duct work would be ok for short term. With the constant temperature swings from the air conditioner turning off and on there is a lot of condinsation in duct work. Those same temperature swings would also cause expanding and contracting and would weaken the seal of a package over time.

Here are some more shelves

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Gzo6Ypvh1Hg

Profile photo of stingray
    stingray
    Survivalist
    member2

Whirlibird is totally correct! If they want it bad enough they’ll find it. If enough technology is available, as is the case many with major urban LEO’s, Thermal imaging, ground penetrating radar, and sonar arrays can can uncover anything you can get to without a submarine. From a practical SHTF standpoint “TC 31-29/A Special Forces Caching Techniques” is an excellent reference that covers what needs to be considered in hiding “stuff”. There seem to be several versions of 31-29A on the web for download. My copy is 25 pages long and goes into some considerable detail. One I looked at was much more general and only 5 pages, so look around and find the long version.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.