Viewing 5 posts - 16 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    Frozenthunderbolt
    Frozenthunderbolt
    Survivalist
    member4

<div class=”d4p-bbp-quote-title”>freedom wrote:</div>Frozenthunderbot, thanks for the info will start with the compound bow.

Good on you.
    Last tip; start with low poundage 25-35 pound for average teen/woman 30-40 pound for average man.
    This lets you get the fundamentals (stance, draw, anchor, sight, release) correct; you won’t train in any errors as you struggle with the weight.
    It is also more fun as you can shoot more accurately for longer without risking an injury.

If you can shoot (fairly accurately) for 1/2 an hour solid and not be sore the next day jump up the weight a bit (say 5-10 pounds).

Compounds work in your favor as a starting bow here too, as most have a variable draw weight so you can dial it up as you get stronger.

Profile photo of Brulen
    Brulen
    Survivalist
    member9

Any bowhunting I do is from a tree stand which is relatively close range. Its almost like handgun hunting from a blind but quiet. For general use I think of my recurve as a survival weapon which would probably be used at night. Using a crossbow on nasties up close is pretty much a thru and thru. Cross bows are way powerful but do penetrate multiple layers of anything in their way. I just upgraded to the Zwickey 160 gr. 2 blade on Al arrows for my recurve. Its almost like going medieval. Anybody know how to make fire arrows?

Frozenthunderbolt
    Frozenthunderbolt
    Survivalist
    member4

<div class=”d4p-bbp-quote-title”>Brulen wrote:Its almost like going medieval. Anybody know how to make fire arrows?

Wrap rags behind the head soak in petrol/melt pitch into them (or similar) Light and fire.

Profile photo of lci115lewis
    lci115lewis
    Survivalist
    member3

Frozenthunderbolt, you are wrong in recommending the 3 Traditional Bowyers Bible volumes, I found out not to long ago that there are actually 4 volumes now. I think volume 4 will be finding it’s way onto the bookshelf in my bedroom for Christmas, right there by the earlier 3.

As soon as I decide what to use for the heat source I will be making some PVC recurve bows for myself and my oldest 2 sons. And probably a flat bow for my 4 year old son.

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

Frozen, think about what thermite and hollow tubes will get ya.

Viewing 5 posts - 16 through 20 (of 20 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.