Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Whirlibird
    Whirlibird
    Survivalist
    member10

Okay I will admit a certain fondness or even weakness to both the .45 ACP cartridge and 1911 pattern guns.

Are there “better” options for a service gun? Perhaps.

But when you put all the pieces together for survival use, the 1911/.45ACP package stands out from most other options.

First things first, the .45 ACP cartridge.
    With decent components, it’s hard to assemble an inaccurate round. Some bullets may cut better holes in paper, others feed or expand better, but you almost have to work at building ammunition that doesn’t group.

Ammunition is available to gather or harvest everything you might consider taking with a concealment gun.
    Right bullet, right load, penetration in flesh is feet not inches. Conversely, selecting good quality defense ammo and penetration can be predicted to fall within the FBI standards, shot after shot.

Hand loading the ACP cartridge, is remarkably easy partially because everything is large and easy to hold onto. Anyone who has stuffed the 9mm and smaller options, the ACP is almost child’s play in comparison.

Good ammo makes other “carry options” essentially equal to the ACP for street results, But one cannot discount mass in that equation nor expanded diameter. No matter how you look at it, the ACP bullet will always be larger and touch/damage more flesh.

The ACP may not be as dramatic as other options, but there is no arguing it’s street record even today.

Okay the 1911.
    To this day probably the most copied pistol (without license).
    Assuming a good pistol, built properly, the 1911 is capable of “hanging with the young kids” when you start talking reliability and combat use.
    And very few properly built 1911 pistols aren’t capable of halving the groups shot by the competition, given a good shooter and good ammo.

A GI 1911 is capable of being detail stripped without tools, except it’s own parts, try that with your Glock or M&P.
    Most semi custom guns are similar.
    More complex? Perhaps but also more personalizable. By changing out half a dozen parts, I can make the 1911 fit more people properly than any other pistol.

For a full size pistol, the 1911 is more easily concealed than some other designs. Granted it is not lighter, but the thinness of the gun makes up for a lot.
    And other designs that require a holster, the 1911 can be tucked away in just a waistband safely.

And even empty the 1911 can be a formidable weapon, a former coworker literally knocked the top off a G21 striking a bad guy.

Within a couple of months an almost identical strike was made using a 1911, which was unharmed.

End part 1.

Profile photo of freedom
    freedom
    Survivalist
    rnews

Have been thinking about purchasing a 1911 since I own .357, 9mm, .380, .38 special. What is the best one. I know throw the years here that you know well 1911”s.

Profile photo of Brulen
    Brulen
    Survivalist
    member9

A .45 acp bullet is an underperforming .460 s&w. Same size bullet. I’m also guessing its a 450 bushmaster pushed to 2000+ feet per second. I was thinking of buying the ruger rifle in 450 bushmaster and then remembered, hey, i already have a 460 s&w magnum revolver with a 10 inch barrel. Plus a downsizer .45 lc to practice with. Apples oranges and pears.

Whirlibird
    Whirlibird
    Survivalist
    member10

Have been thinking about purchasing a 1911 since I own .357, 9mm, .380, .38 special. What is the best one. I know throw the years here that you know well 1911”s.

Factory?
    Basic stripped down:
    Colt 1991 (O1991 model)
    Springfield Mil Spec

Mid range:
    Colt Competition (O1072CCS or O1970CCS) the latter would be my choice overall.
    Springfield “Loaded” PX9109L or PX9151L

‘High end’
    Colt Gold Cup
    Springfield custom shop guns.

You’ll note a lack of variety in brands, that’s because in my experience you can pay more but you aren’t getting any better.

Buying cheaper, you never know what you are getting. In spec and quality or something that will cause a gunsmith to pull his hair out.
    And more expensive?
    Unless you are talking investment or a complete custom build, it’s not worth it.

I say that while building a $3800 double stack gun. But it’s a specialty gun, built to exact specifications and for a particular need. I would not have it for my own.

Profile photo of freedom
    freedom
    Survivalist
    rnews

Thank you Whirlibird, I will go for the,
    Basic stripped down:
    Colt 1991 (O1991 model)
    Springfield Mil Spec

It will do for a great survival handgun

Whirlibird
    Whirlibird
    Survivalist
    member10

Thank you Whirlibird, I will go for the,
    Basic stripped down:
    Colt 1991 (O1991 model)
    Springfield Mil Spec

It will do for a great survival handgun

By the way, here is another look at the Colt that is well worth a read.

http://www.coolgunsite.com/comm_pistols/colt80.htm

Profile photo of freedom
    freedom
    Survivalist
    rnews

Great article!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.