Viewing 14 posts - 16 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Author
    Jay
    Jay
    Survivalist
    member3

Hmm, some posts aren’t showing up.

Do you mean here in the forum?

Alea iacta est ("The die has been cast")

Profile photo of freedom
    freedom
    Survivalist
    rnews

1974, Thanks for the link. I own some good Florida maps but not from any other State.

Whirlibird, Great idea, some of the local county offices or the city offices have free maps for the public.

Whirlibird
    Whirlibird
    Survivalist
    member10

Ya, here and there.
    Could be on my end though.

wildartist
    wildartist
    Survivalist
    member7

1974, the Delorme Gazetteers are great. While in Idaho, we would go north over the Bennett Hills Ridge (mountains by OK standards) on a dirt road regularly. One evening we looked at a large map put up by BLM at an intersection on top of the ridge. It showed the road to the right (east) intersecting with another a few miles down, which would take us north into the valley ahead by a different route. Adventure! Ha! Little did we know…

When we got to the “road” it was a mule trail down a virtual cliff. Wouldn’t even risk the Jeep, possibly hike down it. Had our Gazetteer so continued on east, not wanting to turn back. Rockslides, washouts, boulders, cliffs, etc showed us that no one had used the “road” we were on for decades. Five hours later, with the help of the Gazetteer, we got onto a paved road which led home. Fun in retrospect. Our problem was we always thought it “must be better” up ahead… But the maps (by flashlight) led us in the right direction. Still, those little lines don’t always mean you can navigate them.

We were always considered “half a bubble off” ;) and having way too much crazy fun for people our age.

Profile photo of namelus
    namelus
    Survivalist
    member7

If you want to use gps  there are constantly  upgraded Oil service and logging road not found on regular maps. These can be bought and dl into your  gps no way to mark on a map  unless you have a plotter printer due to size of area. i get them through surveyor friends they also have nice things like mineral deposits  elevation cross sections, water sources (including tidal pools with time they spring forth) learn them mark them which season they are passable. carry a cb radio for updates and any closures.

If you know the road you can even  find fuel reserves if you know what to look for. These roads can not be done in a city  vehicle you should have a 4×4 with chains and winch.

Profile photo of freedom
    freedom
    Survivalist
    rnews

namelus, thanks for pointing out this, I will ask a surveyor friend to see what he has.

Profile photo of tweva
    tweva
    Survivalist
    rreallife

As a rider, I’d like to also suggest you check out (via Google or whatever) your local, area horse trail riding maps. And, as a former ATV recreational user, the Hatfield & McCoy Trails that may be local to you. Of course, the riding trails and most of the ATV trails would be most useful only if you had to abandon your standard vehicle and go on foot- or if you were on a motorcycle. Manyof the ATV trails you could navigate in a Jeep.

Profile photo of matt76
    matt76
    Survivalist
    member8

I don’t know how many of you are aware of this but a lot of gps software has a road quality setting. Most programs are set from the factory to only show public roads. If you change the settings sometimes trails will show up.

Lone Eagle
    Lone Eagle
    Prepper
    member3

GPS is nice, but nothing beats a good old fashioned paper map. My dad gave me several older maps that were done before the US Interstate System existed, and a couple while it was being built. Some of those roads are not on the newer maps.

When it comes to knowing when to GTFO, it helps to stay one step ahead of the game. Most wait until they are told to go. If you pay attention, you will know when it’s about to get deep.

Never challenge a man who has nothing left to lose.

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

Eagle,

Some places are in it now. 48 killed in one week, Chicago.

Profile photo of freedom
    freedom
    Survivalist
    rnews

1974, Chicago gun laws, you got to lol! Gun free zones don’t work!

Profile photo of freedom
    freedom
    Survivalist
    rnews

Lone Eagle, I agree, I like paper maps.

Profile photo of WhiteKnight
    WhiteKnight
    Survivalist
    rprepper

While GPS can be nice for us city-dwellers, I too, have maps. I plan to test-run several routes and plans this summer.

Profile photo of tweva
    tweva
    Survivalist
    rreallife

<div class=”d4p-bbp-quote-title”>Jay wrote:</div>Hmm, some posts aren’t showing up.

Do you mean here in the forum?

This has happened to me also Jay BTW. I tried six times or more to post about how to wax cheese in response to someone’s query – it told me duplicate post – tried another subject/forum title – same deal — never showed up – I gave up.

Viewing 14 posts - 16 through 29 (of 29 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.