Tagged: ,

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 50 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

Some world leaders are better than others.

“Prime Minister Netanyahu said: “The State of Israel is prepared in order to bar the possible entry of people with Ebola, as part of our effort to defend our borders against illegal migrants and terrorism. This is a global plague and we are cooperating with other countries in addition to guarding our borders; we are taking a series of steps to isolate those who are ill, if they arrive, and treat them, of course, in our healthcare system.
    We hope that this will not be necessary but we are prepared for any eventuality.”

http://israelnewsagency.com/israel-vs-ebola/

Profile photo of Aukxsona
    Aukxsona
    Survivalist
    member2

According to someone who works in the hospital they did not have proper PPE on. They did not have gumby suits. They had gloves, masks, glasses, PAPER suits, and surgical booties. Not even the level of protection in Africa.

When was the last time you went without electricity, running water, food, and had babies screaming for food...now you know why I prep. These are the things a mother's nightmares are made of.

Profile photo of deblmm
    deblmm
    Survivalist
    member2

I’m not really surprised. I’m also very heartbroken for the young nurse, they are saying she is in her 20’s. On the news they detailed the protective gear, face shield, double gloves, a gown, leg covers and shoe covers. Now, take all that off in the correct order without any of the contaminated side touching your clothes, that means 5 chances the become infected. Why weren’t there full body suits, Gumby suits? I am a nurse and I work in an urban hospital, one state away from Texas, I can’t imagine caring for someone with ebola. Breach in protocol my butt, how about providing better PPE, proper PPE like full body suits, decreases chances of contaminating yourself? Take a close look at the suits the ambulance drivers are wearing, and the compare that to the paper suits the nurses wore, there’s no wonder anymore how she became infected! The ambulance drivers look like they are going into a nuclear waste zone! The poor girl has what about a 50/50 shot of living, why wasn’t she given better PPE, like the ambulance drivers? I will try to post a link of the video I’m talking about.

Profile photo of deblmm
    deblmm
    Survivalist
    member2

Ok, here is the video. In the first 10 seconds you can see the difference in PPE I’m talking about. Maybe, just maybe, when the news describes the PPE worn by the nurse they mean something different but I don’t see how. Basically, to explain for non-healthcare people, the nurse would have had on “protective” gear that looked very similar to the gear the patient is wearing in this video. Why wasn’t she wearing the hazmat suits like the ambulance drivers? Maybe I am wrong, I wasn’t there, I certainly hope I am because if I am right American hospitals can’t handle an outbreak, we don’t have hazmat suits readily available to us.

https://video.search.yahoo.com/video/play;_ylt=A2KLqIEPsTtUEVoATC77w8QF;_ylu=X3oDMTEwdGtscjY3BHNlYwNzcgRzbGsDdmlkBHZ0aWQDVjE4MgRncG9zAzE1?p=ebola+in+texas&vid=b9b24b7422ed0f55cd547b8e24bfb40e&l=&turl=http%3A%2F%2Fts3.mm.bing.net%2Fth%3Fid%3DVQ.345508811374%26pid%3D15.1&rurl=https%3A%2F%2Fca.shine.yahoo.com%2Fvideo%2Fdeputy-possible-ebola-symptoms-hospitalized-133317503.html&tit=Deputy+with+possible+%3Cb%3EEbola+%3C%2Fb%3Esymptoms+hospitalized+%3Cb%3Ein+Texas%3C%2Fb%3E&c=14&sigr=12r8282v9&sigt=1278nqlfv&age=0&fr=yfp-t-901&tt=b

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

Deb,
    All I see is a reporter. The fact is the CDC protocols don’t work and the contagion is much more infectious then they admit.

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

Aukxsona,
    Do you have a quote from a reliable source?

Profile photo of deblmm
    deblmm
    Survivalist
    member2

I will try and upload another picture. I’m not very good at uploading things….
    This should illustrate for you what I am talking about and what I believe Aukxsona is speaking of, also you have to watch more of the video than I first thought but its there.
    Here is a link where I got the pictures. If you don’t find this reliable, I can tell you, 1st hand as a nurse, these suits suck. They are good at protecting against MRSA, C-diff and other things but when the ambulance driver is decked out better than the hospital staff that go into the patients room constantly, I doubt there effectiveness.

http://www.dallasnews.com/news/metro/20141012-confirmation-of-second-ebola-case-rattles-dallas.ece

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Profile photo of deblmm
    deblmm
    Survivalist
    member2

Ok, see the difference now. Why are hospital staff wearing the minimalist suit on the right and the guys cleaning their apartments after the fact wearing full body suits when they are not in direct contact with the infected person? I don’t think we should all panic, I am just trying to illustrate the HUGE difference in so called “precautions” that are being taken. I feel like its a BS story saying there was a breach in protocol, I personally feel, like there wasn’t enough done to protect staff. I don’t know about all the virus being more contagious, what I do know is that it is very, very easy to contaminate yourself unknowingly. I hope you all see what I am talking about.

Profile photo of sledjockey
    sledjockey
    Bushcrafter
    member8

I can tell you why the hospital staff doesn’t wear complete isolation suits and only universal precautions:

If the hospital put their people in isolation suits then everyone would ask the following questions:
    1) How bad are “universal precautions” with regard to other virus/bacteria?
    2) What are we not being told about this particular virus?
    3) If they are in isolation suits, does this mean that ebola has gone airborne?

And lastly, they would have to install staged decon chambers instead of “clean rooms” for each isolated patient. This means added costs……

The less publicity and “experts” they can get talking about how bad ebola really is the better.

deblmm, from what I have seen this strain has a little above 65% fatality rate at the moment.

http://ageofdecadence.com

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

Deblmm,
    The CDC is lying about the transmission of the disease and not protecting the public. Medical staff should be wearing completely contained suits. Your right. But the CDC thinks the minimal protection works. After all only 400 people were infected wearing the same garb in Africa. You might think the CDC would figure this out by now. Troubling no doubt?

sledjockey
    Bushcrafter
    member8

<div class=”d4p-bbp-quote-title”>74 wrote:</div>Deblmm,<br>
    The CDC is lying about the transmission of the disease and not protecting the public. Medical staff should be wearing completely contained suits. Your right. But the CDC thinks the minimal protection works. After all only 400 people were infected wearing the same garb in Africa. You might think the CDC would figure this out by now. Troubling no doubt?

We are talking about the same type individuals that audit political groups they don’t like and do what they can to isolate their favorite politicians from bad press.

Truly there is no room for politics in a government agency. They should run 100% independent from any political agenda.

Profile photo of deblmm
    deblmm
    Survivalist
    member2

Sledjockey, I get what your saying. But we, healthcare workers, have Zero experience with this disease. All patients with ebola need to be in the facilities that have those rooms, like Nebraska and Atlanta and two more places I can’t remember off hand, just to minimize the risk, Over abundance of caution. Personal answers to your questions 1)Universal standard PPE are actually pretty effective against other diseases, I’ve worked in healthcare for a while and I have not caught anything, so I would say they are effective against most run-of-the-mill illnesses, but the are hard to get on and off. They are thin and blow around easily, which I think reduces their effectiveness. So I am split on this, I think they suck for ebola and ok for other less virulent diseases.
    Limited study I know, best I have at the moment. 2) your guess is as good as mine :) and 3) Its not airborne it is droplet. Which kinda sounds funny I think to non-medical people. Droplet is like airborne in the sense that 3′ around the patient is considered a hot zone if you will. The droplets don’t float in the air. Airborne is the precautions you take with TB, that patient is isolated in a negative pressure room with all the air sucked out of the room continuously and there is more and different PPE worn.
    I am just glad you see the difference. Its important I think for the public to see this, that poor girl, I don’t think she stood a chance. I really hope she survives.

74- very troubling

Profile photo of deblmm
    deblmm
    Survivalist
    member2

How long ago did the CDC find small pox virus in a storage locker? Were screwed. I just remembered this.

sledjockey
    Bushcrafter
    member8

<div class=”d4p-bbp-quote-title”>deblmm wrote:</div>Sledjockey, I get what your saying. But we, healthcare workers, have Zero experience with this disease. All patients with ebola need to be in the facilities that have those rooms, like Nebraska and Atlanta and two more places I can’t remember off hand, just to minimize the risk, Over abundance of caution. Personal answers to your questions 1)Universal standard PPE are actually pretty effective against other diseases, I’ve worked in healthcare for a while and I have not caught anything, so I would say they are effective against most run-of-the-mill illnesses, but the are hard to get on and off. They are thin and blow around easily, which I think reduces their effectiveness. So I am split on this, I think they suck for ebola and ok for other less virulent diseases.<br>
    Limited study I know, best I have at the moment. 2) your guess is as good as mine :) and 3) Its not airborne it is droplet. Which kinda sounds funny I think to non-medical people. Droplet is like airborne in the sense that 3′ around the patient is considered a hot zone if you will. The droplets don’t float in the air. Airborne is the precautions you take with TB, that patient is isolated in a negative pressure room with all the air sucked out of the room continuously and there is more and different PPE worn.<br>
    I am just glad you see the difference. Its important I think for the public to see this, that poor girl, I don’t think she stood a chance. I really hope she survives.

74- very troubling

I actually have about 14 years of direct medical care with college degree in medical field. Been a while since I swapped professions, but I still try and keep on top of changes in the field. Let me clarify my points since I was a bit general before. Sorry about that:

1) There are many studies that prove that universal precautions are fine against virii/bateria that are transmitted more through splash/touch/etc, but ever look at the CDC requirements for handling anything that can be transmitted via droplets? That is one scary read, especially when thinking about the times I was stuck in the back of an ambulance, ER or OR with someone diagnoses with a respiratory disease like TB. When the government shows up, like you pointed out, you get to see what you are REALLY supposed to be wearing to protect yourself.
    3) My point was that ebola has mutated and gone airborne at least once since we first discovered it. The fact that this virus mutates so openly in the wild and has the ability to survive in so many different species hosts, it is only a matter of time before this outbreak sees another mutation. Even if it doesn’t and maintains the current method of transmission it can live outside the body for a substantial amount of time. It is also only a matter of time before we see it spread like legionaires outbreaks due to ventilation systems and HVAC ducts. This is something that is not commonly thought about because each and every room is not truly an isolation chamber.

My whole point is that we don’t know what we don’t know yet. The main research data on ebola and simliar diseases is mostly classified and will probably remain as such.

BTW: Did you see the marburg outbreak going on as well? Another scary virus in the same family as ebola.

Profile photo of freedom
    freedom
    Survivalist
    rnews

sledjockeyis 100% right Ebola has mutated and is more infectious that what the CDC is telling the public. Many doctors in the news media are saying that it may have gone airborne to a point. What does that mean, that Ebola can travel X amount of feet in the air, not as airborne as the FLU virus but it maybe airborne to the point that it may get into the protection suits if they are not 100% protected and it may find it self traveling in the ventilation system of a hospital also to a point. We just don’t know because the CDC is not telling anyone anything.

One thing is for sure it is airborne to a point.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 50 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.