Tagged: , ,

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of instructor
    instructor
    Survivalist
    member3

Don’t go to the supermarket and buy 500 lbs of rice and beans and nothing else because you run out of money.

You should start with what you actually like to eat most and plane to survive on that, just write down the meals you normally have each week or month

I will use my family as an example, there are 4 of us in our household and here are some of our favourite foods and some meals that I make every week or two.

The following is an example of dinner menus:

1. Spaghetti, garlic bread, parmesan cheese.
      2. Beef Stroganoff and mashed potatoes
      3. Sweet and Sour chicken, rice or chips
      4. Chile with beans, mashed potatoes or rice
      5. Beef Stew mashed potatoes and veg
      6. Tuna, rice and cheese casserole
      7. Pork Curry with Apples, Rice
      8. Pork chops potatoes and veg
      9. Ham egg and chips
      10. Chicken thighs tinned tomatoes and cream casserole
      11. Homemade beef burgers chips
      12. Homemade game stew
      13. Homemade chilli con-carne
      14. Slow cooker lamb

The above are not written in stone for us. We can switch our menu for similar menus like – making beef burgundy instead of stroganoff.

Or chicken and rice casserole instead of sweet and sour chicken. You get the idea.

I will have the same meats but made in a different way in case we tire of the same meal every 2 weeks. I may make chilli mince instead of beef burgers in the winter Mexican lasagne is also an alternative.

Tired of spaghetti? Try lasagne or stuffed pasta shells.

If you want a meatless meal each week then have vegetable soup, spaghetti marinara, red beans and rice, or just a good salad. The ideas are endless.

Look through different cookbooks and find interesting recipes. Most recipes can be converted to food storage recipes.

Deep fried chicken, medium or rare steaks, and the like will be hard to get or make in post collapse because they require fresh meats and we are not going to have those things at that time.

You may be able to raise chickens or rabbits where you live and then you can have the deep fried chicken or rabbit. I can raise rabbits but not chickens where I live so I will not get much fresh chicken post collapse.

I also will not have fresh milk. I will have powdered milk so I will be making yogurt, yogurt cheese, cottage cheese, and fresh farmer’s style cheese from powdered milk.

I will store parmesan for the first year and have some canned cheeses and powdered cheddar cheese for that first year as well. All these things I will cover later. Now let’s make a menu for 7 breakfasts:

1. Pancakes with syrup and dried reconstituted fruit.
      2. Scrambled eggs and toast with Orange Drink
      3. Poached eggs and toast
      4. Sausage, cheese, omelette with toast
      5. Oatmeal with apples and brown sugar and cinnamon
      6. Mushroom omelette and Orange drink
      7. Homemade muesli with Orange drink

Now for your midday meal.

You may be eating it at night because of lack of power. You could cook the large meal in a solar oven if you have one and you should have a rocket stove or propane burner to hopefully fill in on bad weather days.

Back to the light supper or lunch in the evening.

(Think about it, this is the healthier way to eat anyway.) Leftovers will need to be eaten up in the evening because of poor or no refrigeration (if there is power cuts).

1. Leftovers of what you had for your big meal or Dinner….
      2. Tuna Sandwiches
      3 Peanut butter sandwiches
      4. Soup and crackers
      5. Ham sandwiches
      6. Chicken salad/sandwiches
      7. In the summer if you can grow gardens this is when you should be eating salads with dried fruit and leftover meats or beans in them.

These are just some ideas. There are many others. You may want to make up some beef burgers for a treat or grill some vegetables to serve with cheese and bread.

Your personal tastes and creativity are not limited to my ideas. Just start thinking every time you make a meal for your family, “Could I have made this with food storage?” You will start thinking about what you will need to start storing.

Take the normal ingredient amounts and multiply times 8 for a 3.1/2 month supply of once per 2 weeks for that particular meal.

Write those ingredients and amounts down in your list, notebook or wherever you will be keeping your info.

Example: For a 3.1/2 month supply take 8 times the amount of the item needed for that recipe because that will give you the amount you need to have for cooking it every 2 weeks.
    Spaghetti – 1 pint of home canned ground beef, 8 pints

1 jar of mushroom spaghetti sauce, 8 cans
      1 can of diced tomatoes 8 cans
      1 teaspoon of garlic powder 8 tsp.
      1 teaspoon of dried basil 8 tsp.
      4 tablespoons of parmesan cheese 32 tbsp.
      A packet of spaghetti 8 packets

Now you do this with every recipe and then add up the ingredients and you will have what you need to buy or can or dry your foods for your food storage.

For instance I plan to use ground beef at least 3 times each 2 week period so I will need 24 pints of ground beef. I hope this is clear and understandable.

I have to say of course that although these meals are exactly what you want and need as you will have chosen them, their ingredients will have to change due to perhaps the lack of power or the lack of the ingredients themselves.
    Start out with your menus like above and then we can work on it together if you need help.

Happy Prepping! You are on your way to becoming self-sufficient one step at a time!

anika
    anika
    Survivalist
    rreallife

Another hit, thank you for these ideas!

If I may, I’d like to add that part of my own preparedness is using some LTS items *now,* so that we get used to eating them. These aren’t gourmet meals, but as you begin your acclimation, you can start by replacing one or two ingredients in a dish, until you’re regularly eating all of them from storables. This is advantageous so that you aren’t trying to get used to unfamiliar textures and flavors when SHTF.

Many of my recipes could be eaten without baking them, since the components are pre-done. Like instructor said, it pays to build up your recipes now, and saves you time and trouble later. For instance, my

Enchilada Casserole

is 100% from storage, and very easy to prepare:

Sauce Part:

(you could store canned sauce, but it is easy from scratch using components on-hand that you can also use for other things; this is adapted from Grandpappy’s hard times site)

– 8-oz can tomato sauce
    – 1 c. water with 1 t. chicken or beef bouillon
    – 3 T. reconstituted butter
    – 3 T. flour
    – Seasonings as desired (I use 2 T. chili powder, 1 t. oregano, 1 t. garlic powder, 1/2 t. salt)
    1) Melt butter in a pan; add flour and mix.
    2) Add tomato sauce, water, and seasonings.
    3) Simmer 15 mins until thick.

Casserole Part:

(could eat after combining, if no oven)
    1) In 9×13 greased dish, layer 1/4 of the sauce from above; top with 1 c. cooked rice, then half the remaining sauce. Top with 1/2 lb. reconstituted TVP beef. Top with 1 c. nacho cheese sauce (put 2 oz. nacho cheese powder in very hot water; whisk; let stand 5 minutes and whisk again).
    2) Repeat layers.
    3) If baking, bake at 350 for half an hour or so. If not, stir everything to combine and eat like chili.

We like this so much that it’s replaced the old method (which included a layer of flour tortillas, but which can be left out if you don’t wish to prepare them by hand each time). It’s probably healthier, too, since we’re not using high-fat red meat and the extra tortillas.

Profile photo of instructor
    instructor
    Survivalist
    member3

Wow Anika, I shall try those great sounding recipes thank you for them I like you idea of substituting each ingredient with a SHTF one. But I only prep with food that me and the family DO like and then just rotate it.
    This way it is cheaper to buy and you can eat it any time.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.