Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Whirlibird
    Whirlibird
    Survivalist
    member10

Professional courtesy is one thing.
    This bonehead just screwed up his career, life and probably his marriage.

Don’t do bonehead things, regardless of what side of the badge you are on.

Profile photo of GeorgiaSaint
    GeorgiaSaint
    Veteran
    member9

Excellent example of the courtesy none of the rest of us would EVER get from an officer. “Any other person’s gonna get a resisting an officer charge, you know this.” HUH? So they only charged him with DUI, not resisting arrest, despite demonstrated resisting, over and over, and the requirement to physically force him out of the vehicle, physically force the cuffs on him, and physically force him into the patrol car. Yep – just how it would have gone down with any of us civilians…. The day somebody presents me with evidence that that deputy uses exactly the same “technique” on civilians, spending that much time in back-and-forth repeats of the same conversation, over and over – that’s the day I’ll have respect for the arresting officer. In the meantime, I see TWO officers that tarnished their badges in this video.

GS
    "Ye hear of wars in far countries, and you say that there will soon be great wars in far countries, but ye know not the hearts of men in your own land."

Whirlibird
    Whirlibird
    Survivalist
    member10

Actually, no.
    It usually takes active resistance to get the charge to stick whether or not it’s used/charged initially.

The back and forth is normal, I have numerous audio recordings of just that, so I didn’t have to fight or drag the drunk out of the car.
    It’s not worth either of us getting hurt.

Would I lie and say “you’re getting special treatment”? Hell yes. I’d lie to your face and do it with a smile if it meant I didn’t have to taser, pepper spray or beat you over this.
    Anyone.

But people who have never seen that side of the job ever understand it.

Here I show a good cop doing the right thing and naught but criticism.

Merry Christmas to you and yours.

Profile photo of GeorgiaSaint
    GeorgiaSaint
    Veteran
    member9

You’re reading too much into this personally and showing more than a bit of unnecessary personal defensiveness. There was zero personal criticism, just observations about the amount of restraint shown by the main deputy in the video, and the contrast with what the rest of us would have gotten. I’ve never been arrested, got two minor traffic tickets in a past life (40-50 years ago), but I’ve had two situations just in the past year in which I literally walked up to two different cops to ask for information or clarification about some conflicting signs in two different locations. In BOTH cases I was accused of either disrespecting the officer, or in the other case, trying to interfere with his duty, with major attitude problems straight out of the box. In one situation my wife was with me, and became frightened that the cop was about to become physical with me – with zero provocation (except in his own mine). We did a 180° and quickly disengaged. In both cases, my approach was nothing short of calm, respectful, and polite, since I had no reason to expect any problem at all – I was merely asking their expertise about two situations so I’d better understand the expectations of me in those situations. I can only imagine what that would have been like had I actually done (or been perceived as having done) something wrong.

So, I commented on the extreme deference shown to a fellow officer, in contrast to what all too frequently happens with sometimes even law-abiding regular citizens. And whether I’ve ever seen it from “that side of the job” or not, I can recognize differences in treatment based on profession, ethnicity, or whatever other factor, when they exist, and that was the sole purpose of the post – nothing at all related to you personally.

Do I agree that the deputy in question did the right thing overall – in many respects, yes. And without question, the lieutenant deserves the biggest heap of criticism. I only wish the rest of us would be treated in the same manner in even remotely similar situations. But as for lying, no the deputy did not – he told the truth. He read him his rights, then informed him of the single charge for which he was being arrested – no mention of resisting arrest. He held true to his earlier blue deference declaration, “Any other person’s gonna get a resisting an officer charge, you know this.” Yes he showed considerable restraint, yes he probably used appropriate restraint in how he finally gained control of the lieutenant, and yes, that restraint also most likely kept him from having to use considerably more force (including the taser he hauled out and pointed at the lieutenant). So perhaps a resisting arrest charge wasn’t necessary (even though it technically happened, as evidenced by the multiple people that had to have hands-on with the verbally and physically resisting drunk lieutenant). It would just be nice if being a fellow cop wasn’t the determining factor, and that we’d all be treated that way.

And yes, a sincere Merry Christmas to you and yours, as well. Sorry you can’t be enjoying our 72° blue skies, as opposed to your sub-freezing 3-5″ today and tonight. :-( But at least you can look at beautiful snow once the storm passes on Monday – I do miss that beauty (through the window).

GS
    "Ye hear of wars in far countries, and you say that there will soon be great wars in far countries, but ye know not the hearts of men in your own land."

• This reply was modified 6 months, 4 weeks ago by Profile photo of GeorgiaSaint GeorgiaSaint.
    Whirlibird
    Whirlibird
    Survivalist
    member10

If I blew up a bit,I’m sorry.

Been a bad week.
    Seen the story of Det. Dan Brite out of Colo Springs?

Never gonna walk his daughters down the aisle.
    Damn good kid, worked with him my first department, swore in the same day.

Won’t go into the rest, let’s just say the way I feel and the mood I’ve been in, that Lt would have been dragged out the wing vent and bounced across the trunk until I felt better.

Yes I think the officer did the right thing and the criticism is unwarranted as in my experience, everyone would have been treated the same or better.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.