Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

Rifle & gear basics:
    Mean Streets Tactical Training- Tactical Rifle Tr…: http://youtu.be/nC7O9SrQEM4

Whirlibird
    Whirlibird
    Survivalist
    member10

Decent video.

Few things, nobody runs 8 mags for long outside a war zone or a class.
    On our heaviest call outs I ran 4 spare mags, my Sgt ran 6 on a plate carrier but dropped to 4 when the temps hit 100+f.
    Normally 2 spare mags were plenty.

Yup keep all the junk off your rifle.

Unboxing ammo? Only if its all the same case lot. If something does go wrong, which batch did it come from?

Dump pouches? Great. Dont put em in front. Going prone becomes painful. And if it gets really full and is low as it should be, it can hit things when you run.

My last “tactical” class I put on, I ran a 5-11 Push-pack with 2 spare mags and 2 spare pistol mags.

The previous class, a ‘practical’ class, I used the two AR mags stuck in my jeans pockets and the two spare handgun mags on my belt.

Thunder Ranch Urban Rifle

chester
    chester
    Survivalist
    member7

Interesting videos. Just can’t say enough for training. My firearms instructor is a student of Clint Smith. Thunder Ranch is here in the Pacific Northwest. I conceal carry everyday and consider it an important responsibility to train.

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

Whirly, As you point out 8, 6, 4, 3 magazines is all dependent on your resupply capability and duration of the engagement. For instance if you are at home and have easy access to more loaded mags then less could be safe. If you were bugging out without a known resupply time frame you probably want to carry more ammo. Maybe where you live carrying additional water is more important. Around my location a bottle & purifier is all you need, I’d rather the ammo.

Whirlibird
    Whirlibird
    Survivalist
    member10

Most definitely.

Around here, and where we left, water can be more than sparse.
    Were I bugging out, I would certainly want more than two, but would likely just grab a single ammo can containing a six pack of mags/ammo in a GI carrier, I can transfer the mags to a better carrier/location later.

Bugging out by car? As many cans as I can tuck away with the rest of the gear and food.

But realistically, 9 or 11 30 round mags hold a mess of ammo, especially when you don’t have the third setting on the safety selector.

Of course this is assuming the AR not the FAL.
    Then we are talking a total of 8 mags including the one in the gun. 5 in a SA style chest rig, 2 in the pack and 1 in the rifle. And all 20 rounders.

As we have both said, its situation and location dependent.
    But there’s still a limit to what one can carry. One of my group routinely carried 12-15 mags in/on him and another bag of 8-12 next to him in the hummer in Iraq. But he wasn’t walking anywhere also.
    Out hunting, he only carries 2-3 total with another 40-60 boxed rounds just in case. That count is more than a little familiar, as I run basically the same.
    Around town, I’m back to the 2-4 of the Push pack again. If I need more than 90 rounds 5o go to McDonalds, I don’t need that Big Mac.

Profile photo of dillon44
    dillon44
    Survivalist
    member1

Excellent teacher, I really enjoyed his presentation..

Profile photo of Brulen
    Brulen
    Survivalist
    member9

Here what i fear the most is home invasion by 3-4 big black guys who want to torture us while they order out for pizza. The only tactical training is shotgun and pistol. The rapid reaction drill…. Go to one or the other and make sure its loaded with at least 4 extra magazines for the pistol. Very short distances and very short engagements. Rather like how the one cop was attacked and he got off 10 shots. Black guy running straight at him. It seems to be the preferred method of attack. Never having experienced a life or death attack as such i feel a definite lack of training but not motivation.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.