Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of freedom
    freedom
    Survivalist
    rnews

S&W 686 Plus New Gun Review,

I was reading this review of the S&W 686 and love the gun. I own two other S&W revolvers which I find them to be made very well.

The S&W 686 has a capacity of 7 rounds which is one more then what my other S&W revolvers. It’s a .357 but I like that I can use .38 Special ammo which are a little cheaper.

http://www.gunsamerica.com/blog/smith-686/

Whirlibird
    Whirlibird
    Survivalist
    member10

The 686 and 586 are very neat handguns.

Mimicing the Colt Python in size and balance, I have seen a few that would equal but not better the Python for accuracy for half the price.
    And they fit the same holsters generally.
    The 7 shot ‘plus’ model may or may not fit the same holster as the standard 686 or the Python depending on the holsrer molding.

My last 6″ 586 (carbon steel not stainless) had a well done nickle finish and tried to match my Python for both trigger pull and accuracy. It got carried in the field a lot when I didn’t want to expose the Python to the elements, so it got a lot of field time.

Yes it is large and heavy compared to modern autos, has a limited capacity (6/7 depending) and are about as slow as a politician making an ethical decision for the reload.

For various reasons I have sold off most of my wheelguns, but the last to go was a 6″ .357.
    I get another, it will have a 4″ barrel. The 6″ is just too much of a good thing.

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

I don’t think you can go wrong with a S&W, but I have developed an appreciation for Ruger.

chester
    chester
    Survivalist
    member7

Good revolver indeed. I like having a good solid .357 around. Currently it’s a 4 inch stainless Ruger GP100. Ruger has great customer service and warranty based on my experience. I’ve taken deer and hogs with it.

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

The Smiths in my mind are just a little harder to keep the internals clean. Not that I take my Ruger apart every time I shoot it, but I could and not have an issue. Removing the side plate on a S&W just reduces my desire to take them apart unless I have work to do inside.

Profile photo of freedom
    freedom
    Survivalist
    rnews

I have looked at the Colt Python but really have not studied the Ruger. Which model is the Ruger?

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

Freedom,
    The GP100 is their current full size gun. I have a discontinued Security Six. Kinda funny how things work some times. Ruger brought out the Security Six to be more robust than the S&W model 19’s, which they were. Then both S&W and Ruger came out with new models that were bigger yet almost back to the N frame S&W’s.

The original Ruger Security Six, Speed Six and Service Six all had great reputations for durability. I’m not knocking the new guns by either mfg though. I loved my Model 27. Big 357’s are easy to shoot.

Profile photo of matt76
    matt76
    Survivalist
    member8

Chester
    I have a GP100 with the 6″ barrel and love it. Took 2 60lb hogs at 70 yds with one shot. The penitration you get with the .357 is hard to beat.

Profile photo of undeRGRönd
    undeRGRönd
    Survivalist
    member8

Kewl Stuff, MATT!
    Don’t you love it when they line up? :D

No revolvers of my own, but Dad has a few.
    I round out the armory with the autos ;)

"ROGUE ELECTRICIAN" Hoping to be around to re-energize the New World.....

Cogito, ergo armatus sum

Profile photo of Xocjm
    Xocjm
    Veteran
    member4

Ruger GP100 VS the 686 I’d take the GP100

Profile photo of Xocjm
    Xocjm
    Veteran
    member4

<div class=”d4p-bbp-quote-title”>undeRGRönd wrote:</div>Kewl Stuff, MATT!<br>
    Don’t you love it when they line up? :D

No revolvers of my own, but Dad has a few.<br>
    I round out the armory with the autos ;)

I’m gonna guess you are younger and I mean no offense but revolvers have real advantages over semi-autos in a life or death situation. I have people come in everyday looking for there first gun and it amazes me when a little ole lady comes in and wants a Glock! 9 outta 10 times there grandchild told them that is what they needed. I own semi-autos, Ar 15’s, shotguns…. and a revolver sits on my nightstand at night and there is one on my wife’s as well. In a life or death situation revolvers don’t jam and in a real world situation you can cause your semi-auto to jam. Nervous, scared and when you fire you limp wrist it and the ejecting case stove pipes and now you are trying to clear your gun when you should be firing your second shot. Revolvers don’t jam. Glocks are not cool they are very reliable guns if they fit your hand and you have practiced with that particular gun. Brand envy will kill you, I know I have gone off on a tangent but people need to be aware that brand and type are not relevant, this is not a designer pair of shoes. This is a weapon that will save your life or get you killed. The right gun for you is the gun that fits your hand the best and you shoot the best with.

Profile photo of freedom
    freedom
    Survivalist
    rnews

Xocjm, I also love my revolvers, I have a small S & W 357 five shot that is beautiful. I am going to look at the Rugar GP 100.

Profile photo of undeRGRönd
    undeRGRönd
    Survivalist
    member8

@Xocjm

I’m old enough, but for our group, I am filling out our collective needs. I love revolvers, but I think we are set. I may still get one of my own, but I have the bases covered. Thanks for your rundown of the advantages, it will motivate me to get one sooner, perhaps! I’m pretty sure Dad would let me use the Model 13 if I asked ;)
    I am actually a better shot with that, than my handguns, last I checked.

"ROGUE ELECTRICIAN" Hoping to be around to re-energize the New World.....

Cogito, ergo armatus sum

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.