Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    wildartist
    wildartist
    Survivalist
    member7

Bushrat and I are old (69 and 75) but still go to strange places as missionaries. Spent the last 7 months in Haiti with a break around Feb/March. Off grid, rural area. Just a thought: If you really want to test your preparedness skills, do a mission trip to the Third World for a few months. You will learn a lot about yourself (including your dependency on the internet, cell phones and vehicle) and also about the way the indigenous people cope. A great Survival Education while you still have a way to fly out…LOL. That in itself was a miracle due to the recent riots/unrest in the capital city Port Au Prince–and gasoline shortage. Most people think we are nuts (maybe a little) but if life is totally safe and predictable, is it worth living?

Tolik
    Tolik
    Survivalist
    member10

Most people think we are nuts (maybe a little) but if life is totally safe and predictable, is it worth living?
    YES , even more so . Personally , they can have all that other crap . On a daily basis , life is what you make it . If you want it boring , thats your right ……………………..and in some ways , a privilege to do so . I’m in my 50’s , I moved to Maine from the Southwest . Why ? Many reasons , one of them was to have all I need ( or want ) within a one hour radius of where I live . If its farther away than that , I don’t need it ( or want it ) . I traveled for 25 years of my life . I got that junk out of my system long ago . Now I’m in a place where I see beauty , every season , I have the ocean , river, or lakes , and thick forrest , no more than 20 min away , depending on direction . Boring , predictable , stability over chaos ? YES , I will take that every time . F traveling , Double F foreign travel , F cities , F humanity in general . Been there , done that . Have no use for it . I’m that hillbilly sitting on his front porch with a shotgun ( and much more ) , ready to chase away anybody that doesn’t leave me alone . Because thats what I want out of life right now , the right to be left alone . When I do go out ( I still have to work lol ) , I treat people with respect and dignity , thats all I ask in return . Maine is in some ways like Siberia , if you wanted to disappear forever into the woods ……you could . In fact there was a man that did exactly that here . For 30 years he lived in the deep woods . How did we find out about him ? Hahaha , he got himself arrested , stealing food from a camp site .

wildartist
    wildartist
    Survivalist
    member7

Tolik, we thought that’s what we wanted when we got married. Bought a place on a mountainside, 3000 ft drive upslope to the house, no neighbors. Forest filled with game. Two spring fed streams. But God changed that. Not what I planned, but the adventures have been amazing. Glad you have what you want…

Tolik
    Tolik
    Survivalist
    member10

Aye that , its different for all of us . Some never find it .

Profile photo of
    Anonymous
    Survivalist

Maine is in some ways like Siberia , if you wanted to disappear forever into the woods ……you could.

I had to chuckle at that. Your profile photo reminds me of my grandfather who was actually in Siberia in 1918/19 fighting the communists. The attached photo was taken on Christmas Day 1918. He wrote extensively about his experiences and lessons learned from that experience, and his very last written comment was as follows:

It has been estimated that 14,000 persons in the vicinity of Moscow during the first three months of 1919 were murdered by the Bolsheviki. Is this what we are calling a civilized world, and is this what the people of America want to come to? In conclusion of my story I earnestly appeal to the people of America and their loyalty to their flag and their government to stand by it at all times.

That was written 99 years ago. He learned his life’s lesson during the 1+ year he was in Siberia, and was a quiet but strong supporter of the Constitutional Republic and capitalism. And while he existed “in society,” once he retired he did so in a very quiet, peaceful part of the nation, content to be with like-minded friends (of which there were many more back in those days), and family – as long as they weren’t contentious (which sadly meant he had little to do with many members of his own family). My family lineage has much in common with your own thinking, including a fur hat. ;-)

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.