Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of undeRGRönd
    undeRGRönd
    Survivalist
    member8

Transplanted from Selco’s post, should get better response here and not being off-topic there, or thread jacked :D

Help me figure this one out, the likelihood of needing to bug out, and the cues and clues…

I live near an approximate sized city of 50,000 plus another 10,000 to 15,000 student population, so maybe 65k+. I live in the sub-suburban areas, used to be considered “country” but has grown up. We are on nearly 4 acres and most lots around here are close to that, except the ones across the street where the old lady who owned it all made it into single dwelling size lots and sold them for big $ each, maybe 200 x 150
    but not all of those have a house. We have a good 2A Sheriff right now and that is a big plus!

Questions, comments and critique are welcome…

"ROGUE ELECTRICIAN" Hoping to be around to re-energize the New World.....

Cogito, ergo armatus sum

Profile photo of tweva
    tweva
    Survivalist
    rreallife

I’ve said sometimes before that one of the most overlooked ‘threats’ people who choose to prepare overlook is Mother Nature. Underground, I would not neglect to look at 1) your elevation above sea level and 2) the historic level of occurrences of other natural events like tornadoes and hurricanes. With enough time, money, preparation and like-minded group members you can always vastly improve your position for future events but Mother Nature can make a mockery of anyone’s best laid plans in a nanosecond.

undeRGRönd
    Survivalist
    member8

+1 Tweva!

I have considered that, no chance of hurricanes here, but tornadoes are a possibility. Like always, excellent suggestions to start the old brain-bucket to work! ;)
    I could stand to do more in the way of preps for natural disasters.

Cogito, ergo armatus sum

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

RGR,
    the likelihood of needing to bug out”

1. Raiders with overwhelming numbers
    2. Fire
    Natural disaster
    Radiation
    Lack of water, food.
    Bio hazard

Robin
    Robin
    Survivalist
    member8

Clues and cues:
    I live in a very rural area. There is a country store and post office. Most of the area goes into one or the other every day. There are also gas pumps.
    I have members of the Sheriff’s office, town police, electric company, county government folks in our group. Keeping each other informed is important.
    Clues: Call down from a member of the group that something wrong is about to happen.
    People from town (approx. 11k folks) start heading to families farm/ranch.
    Folks hanging out more than ever at the post office or store.
    Cues: Members start showing up here.
    Store can not get delivery of gas or food.
    Post office does not get its daily supply of mail to deliver.
    County Sheriffs deputies call and say they are coming.
    New faces at country store (our group is not the only Preppers in this area.)
    Robin

Profile photo of freedom
    freedom
    Survivalist
    rnews

RGR, you will do OK were you are at. I am the one that is in a war zone Miami, Florida. Over 2.5 million here. Well RGR I need to go buy more ammo! Zombies are everywhere here. When the SHTF I will shoot first and then ask what they wanted.

Profile photo of MountainBiker
    MountainBiker
    Survivalist
    member10

undeRGRond, I don’t know the nature of your 4 acres but if it is good usable land, you could certainly do a lot towards being self sufficient on it. By that I mean not needing irrigation, having fertile soil etc. The problem is the proximity of a city of 65,000 plus however many more are in the surrounding suburbs. Will your neighborhood be able to isolate itself from the refugees coming out of that city?

Robin, where you live sounds like an excellent place to be, especially with the group that you have.

undeRGRönd
    Survivalist
    member8

Lots of great info.

@MBiker, yes, I believe we will be able to isolate fairly well.
    One bit of bad news is that a long time neighbor is leaving, good friends with mom & dad. They do yard sales a lot and would be great for SHTF I believe. Seems like they do a lot with a little…

Our other neighbor is moving too, but was always antagonistic before we moved here. He shot my uncle’s dog (chicken chaser, LOL) but the thing survived! After my uncle died, he still seemed to hold a grudge for quite a while. Odd situation…

We know he owns at least 1 gun, high powered rifle that he shot the dog with. Plus a pellet gun. But they are selling the house.

Cogito, ergo armatus sum

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

I thought I would try to revive this thread. Partly because of Tweva’s replying in conjunction with the concurrent garden thread. Additionally the premise of the thread is similar to my situation, where I live near a small city of 50,000 but past the edge of suburbia. Not far enough to make any difference. I occasionally revise my defensive plan. Just to keep people out of my house, not including any neighbors I figure 4 fire teams are necessary to secure the house and escape routes. That’s a minimum of 8 people, and eight combat capable rifles. Plus I’d like everyone to have a backup hand gun. I have a few more guns to buy to meet my projected needs.

Profile photo of MountainBiker
    MountainBiker
    Survivalist
    member10

74, what is the nature/culture of that small city? Trending downward with a large underclass or growing/thriving with more upwardly mobile folks? It can make a difference, though the city population is a problem in either event.

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

MB,
    Sometimes it is rated #1 as the most impoverished city in the US. Not many original citizens live there.

Profile photo of Brulen
    Brulen
    Survivalist
    member9

MB I would Imagine people really have to get out a map and start investigating things like
    National guard state police staging areas
    Who has water supplies
    Can roads be blocked off
    Where are the supermarkets drugstores
    Walking distances to more or less populated areas
    Traffic observation points
    Cell phone dead zones
    Trauma hospitals helo pads
    Well armed citizens
    Safe bug in routes
    Good defensive areas
    Ebt goes down it will get interesting. The Mother Nature cycle of fire flood or ice is adding to the downward spiral of small cities. They have more crime, more psyched out people and now heroin and fentanyl.
    In terms of relative crime an unconscious girl raped behind a dumpster is better than a girl unconscious with her face chewed off thrown into a dumpster by a monster. There are monsters among us.
    What John Titor said… Safe is anywhere a hungry person can’t walk in three days.

* gotta find that viral video of the black woman trashing the convenience store when her Ebt card was declined. It was fascinating listening to the stuff she was muttering.

• This reply was modified 1 year, 5 months ago by Profile photo of Brulen Brulen.
    • This reply was modified 1 year, 5 months ago by Profile photo of Brulen Brulen.
    undeRGRönd
    Survivalist
    member8

EBT HAS had “outages” (more than normal) since June 1st… not sure it’s back to normal?

Cogito, ergo armatus sum

Profile photo of freedom
    freedom
    Survivalist
    rnews

I read that it was down in some states for more then eight days. The economical collapse may first happen with the EBT and banks closing. The free loaders will start the riots and civil unrest.

undeRGRönd
    Survivalist
    member8

I read that it was down in some states for more then eight days. The economical collapse may first happen with the EBT and banks closing. The free loaders will start the riots and civil unrest.

I disagree, maybe semantics, but IMO the “unrest” will be triggered by Alynski-ite agitators, leading the charge. “The Sheeple” on public assistance will tend to stay at home, and hope it gets fixed ASAP. I might not be able to prove this, but I’d put REAL MONEY on it! SILVER EAGLES, anyone? :D

Cogito, ergo armatus sum

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.