Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Mr. Red
    Mr. Red
    Survivalist
    member7

A little over an hour ago something strange happened that scared the sh*t out of me. We have a radio in the kitchen, it was on with the local station playing, suddenly it went off, as did the satellite tv. And for 5 minutes it didn’t come back. I then checked the internet, nothing (it said I had a connection but nothing would load). Since I’m pretty far north of the U.S., and we’ve got a rather localized power grid, first thing I thought of was an EMP, which would mean we could still have power, but a lot of other systems went down.

So there I am, a few steps below panic mode, and I find out that it’s not just me (seems it happened to everyone here), but just as I start to really get worried, it all came back, all at once. No idea as to what happened, or why, but I have to say my mind was racing with the “what if” questions.

Anyway, I’m off to enjoy a rainy Canada Day.

Cheers guys!

Canadian Patriot. Becoming self-sufficient.

Jay
    Jay
    Survivalist
    member3

Hehe, yes this can easily happen when you think about all possibilities. We have frequent power outs so this is nothing that would come to my mind here but yeah if you had time to think about the bigger picture you must have been still pretty calm.

I think its always a trade off. It can be really nice to live in blissful ignorance of all the bad things that can happen and obviously this is what most people do, but then again you have the other extreme of people who live with too much fear and only read about all the disasters that could happen.

I try to be educated of local risks and dangers of areas I visit or stay, of global dangers (just because I like news) and the rest is just practical knowledge about bushcraft, survival, preparedness and self sufficiency for the sake of itself. I just like this and this sort of knowledge means more and more freedom and independence from the rest of the world.

This is my “middle way” and works alright and lets me sleep at night but everyone will have their own philosophy of course.

Enjoy Canada Day! (What is common to do on Canada Day by the way?)

Alea iacta est ("The die has been cast")

Profile photo of lci115lewis
    lci115lewis
    Survivalist
    member3

Read this post and then I went to check SpaceWeather.com to see if there had been anything they reported that could cause this, nothing reported as impacting. But there was this story:
    LAUNCH POSTPONED, RESET: The launch of NASA’s Orbiting Carbon Observatory-2 , originally scheduled for July 1st, was delayed 24 hours because of a technical problem at the launch site. The Delta II rocket is now scheduled to lift off from California’s Vandenberg AFB on July 2nd at 02:56:44 PDT. Because the launch occurs on a nearly moonless night, the event could be visible to the naked eye for hundreds of miles – perhaps as far away as portions of Nevada, Arizona, and Mexico.

I have no idea if the 2 are in any way connected.

Rob

Profile photo of Roadracer
    Roadracer
    Survivalist
    member7

With the latest outbreak of tornados near me, I realized that I intuitively go through a mental checklist. I wonder if all of us who prepare don’t prioritize a threat level to our families and our homes as we become aware something is not normal. If we believed an EMP struck, I hope we would all check our electronics and vehicles to make sure that is what happened. For me the sudden quiet would be a real indicator. More interesting is what would our neighbors do?

lci115lewis
    Survivalist
    member3

<div class=”d4p-bbp-quote-title”>Jay wrote:</div>

Enjoy Canada Day! (What is common to do on Canada Day by the way?)

Use it as an excuse to drink a few beers and eat too much? I am guessing it is about the same as what Americans do on any holiday (except we eat WAY too much), I know the same applies to the Mexican-American community and to at least the more northern parts of Mexico.

Rob

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

The grid will go down eventually, maleware appears to be already installed for some future date.

http://www.symantec.com/connect/blogs/dragonfly-western-energy-companies-under-sabotage-threat

elijah
    elijah
    Prepper
    member6

Mr Red, I’m glad that those systems came back on after 5 minutes. I wonder what people would have done if they had stayed off for a longer time. It’s also a mystery what caused the stuff to go off for so many people; it sounds just like an EMP event but I don’t know of one that would last for only 5 minutes. It’s also strange that nothing has appeared in a news report since it happened. Can you phone your local radio/TV news/newspaper and get an explanation from them?

Bugs Bunny: "I speak softly, but I carry a big stick."
    Yosemite Sam: "Oh yeah? Well I speak LOUD! and I carry a BIGGER stick! and I use it, too!" BAM!

Jay
    Jay
    Survivalist
    member3

Yes Rob, I just know this from Australia’s national holiday… bbq and beer… lots of beer! :)

How common are power outs where you guys live? I know back in Europe I would have probably felt a bit weird as well. I can’t even recall when the last one happened and I was there (probably when I was a kid).

Profile photo of freedom
    freedom
    Survivalist
    rnews

Remember that an EMP will take your car or truck down too so you need to see if it is still running. So if the car is running it is not an EMP.

Profile photo of freedom
    freedom
    Survivalist
    rnews

74, you are right about a cyber attack which can take the grid down. If this were to happen the cars and trucks will still work but there will not be any gas stations working.

I believe this could happen since there are many groups planning a cyber attack.

Jay
    Jay
    Survivalist
    member3

If cyber attacks happen I think it will be more to get some ransom out of the companies or the government but yes just like stuxnet showed in the past, power plants and the grid are a prime target for these sorts of attacks.

Profile photo of freedom
    freedom
    Survivalist
    rnews

Jay, I think there are two types of cyber attackers out there, one is the one you are talking about, the one that wants a ransom of some type and the second is the country run cyber attackers which are not interested in ransoms. They are only interested in taking the grid down to hurt us all.

lci115lewis
    Survivalist
    member3

Jay, here in central Arizona blackouts are fairly rare unless there is an obvious, local cause, the most common being power lines downed by thunderstorms or traffic accidents. The only 2 wide area power issues I can remember in the past 20 years were:

when there was a big fire at a generating plant, destroyed one of the huge transformers and their spare, took about a week to get a replacement trucked in, only because there was a spare either in southern California or Mexico, I remember that it was sent by boat to the Gulf of Baja, and then ti to about 4 days to bring it the rest of the way by truck. It was reported at the time that it would be close to a year before a new spare could be built and delivered.

The other was almost 18 years ago, on August 10th late in the afternoon, fire in California took out a huge chunk of the grid in the Southwest, half of the Phoenix metro area was without power, the Eastern part was getting power from a different company that was more heavily tied into the grid in New Mexico and Colorado. I remember this since it happened on my wedding day as we were just starting our honeymoon, power was back by the time we left the hotel for the airport the next morning.

Rob

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.