Viewing 9 posts - 16 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of freedom
    freedom
    Survivalist
    rnews

tweva, Thank you for the info. I am going to look into it now.

God Bless You!

vettom
    vettom
    Survivalist
    member2

Static shielding bags are from
    ULINE or uline.com
    I buy the mil – std ones S-2509 in a case as I can cut down. My food saver will seal edges but I don’t try to vacuum seal these bags. These also work for making your cell phone unseen. Nothing in nothing out. A case of 100 is plenty and I give some to friends too.

Profile photo of freedom
    freedom
    Survivalist
    rnews

vettom,

Thank you for the information on the website. I will study it today.

Profile photo of Ghost Prime
    Ghost Prime
    Survivalist
    member6

Ok, this dumb city boy is missing something.  If you need the O2 absorbers to scavenge all the O2 out of the bucket, why put the O2 absorber in a Mylar bag and seal it? Doesn’t that prevent the O2 absorber from contacting and scavenging the O2?

I am sure I am missing something but…..

For God, Family, Country, & Liberty!

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

Ghost,

The absorption packet goes into the food bag. The bucket probably is not totally air tight.

Profile photo of freedom
    freedom
    Survivalist
    rnews

Ghost Prime,

If you use food grade buckets I do not use the Mylar bags. Rice, beans, grains, pasta. I do not use the bags only the bucks with the O2 Absorber.

Now I sometimes use the smaller Mylar bags and put five to ten bags in the bucks. You need to use the O2 absorber in the Mylar bag then seal the bag with heating iron.  If you have any other question you can pm me. I do this all the time.

Profile photo of freedom
    freedom
    Survivalist
    rnews

To the new members, this is a post that I did in April on a very cheap way to store food in food grade buckets.

The great thing about the food grade buckets is that they can be reused for many things including the new post I just posted on how to make a very good water filter. Also when you finish eating the food you have stored they can be used for collecting water storing other food supplies, and many other uses. Plastic bucks will be something that many will need and want in a SHTF times.

Whirlibird
    Whirlibird
    Survivalist
    member10

There is a very good reason to bag separately even when using food grade buckets. Rodents.

Friend of mine ended up with an infestation of mice. We won’t comment on how or why but the neighbors were to blame.

They chewed through half a dozen buckets and ate their fill over a winter he was out of town. At least if he had them bagged 1 or 5 lb bags, he wouldn’t have lost every grain in each bucket.

And many years back there was a tornado back where I came from. I had left a couple of buckets of supplies for my parents. The pressure from the tornado popped the lids off two buckets. If I had not packed everything in plastic, a lot of stuff may have gotten wet, depending on the circumstances.

And I’d rather unseal a 1lb bag rather than expose a 30lb bucket to air/moisture.

Profile photo of freedom
    freedom
    Survivalist
    rnews

Whilibird, I use the Gamma lids which are very hard to pop off, cost a little more. I store the rice or beans in the buckets but do use the Mylar bags to store five to ten items in one bucket. People that have problems with rodents do need to store the buckets in a steel container or use the Mylar bags and store them in a steel trash can. This will do the same thing. Rodents also make it hard to store water in plastic.

Viewing 9 posts - 16 through 24 (of 24 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.