Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 24 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of freedom
    freedom
    Survivalist
    rnews

Hello Members,
    I store rice, beans, pasta, and many other grains in five gallon buckets.

The buckets I use are white and they are food grade,image below.
    Five Gallon Food Grade Bucket

Here is a close up of the label food grade,
    Food Grade Label on Bucket

You can purchase this food grade bucket at Lowes for about $3.95 ea or some go to bakeries which have food grade bucket that there products come in and ask if they can have some of the bucket. There free but you may have to clean them.

Now that you have the food grade buckets whats next is the cover which I like to use Gamma Lids because you
    open and close them very easy. image below,
    Gamma Lid

You can purchase the gamma lids at Home Depot but they only sell them in black so if you want them in colors just do a Google search for gamma Lids. They cost from $5,99 to as high as $8.00 each.

Now you need to purchase some Mylar Bags which you can do a search for them on Google, there are many places to buy them. I buy my Mylar Bags at,

https://www.usaemergencysupply.com/information_center/packing_your_own_food_storage/mylar_bags.htm#.Uz3ZrKIz0dA

Once you fill the Mylar Bag inside the food grade bucket you will need oxygen absorber. For this size bucket I use the 2,000cc for the rice and beans and for the pasta I use two 2,000cc. Image below,
    Oxygen Absorber

Once you add the oxygen absorber in the Mylar bag you need to seal the Mylar bag with an iron. Make sure the iron is hot. You use a 2 x 4 no longer then 3 feet to put the end of the Mylar bag under the Mylar bag and use the iron to heat the Mylar bag until it is sealed.

Now you can close the bucket with the Gamma lid

You can purchase the oxygen absorbers on many websites, I buy my oxygen absorbers at

https://www.usaemergencysupply.com/information_center/packing_your_own_food_storage/packing_with_oxygen_absorbers.htm#.Uz3Z9aIz0dA

Here is another website that has very good images of the buckets with the Mylar bags so you can see what I am talking about.

http://www.optimumpreparedness.com/mylar_bags_for_long_term_food_storage.html

If you like you can buy a hand heat sealer to seal the Mylar bags like this one,

http://www.staplerwarehouse.com/p-1896-dpc-e16m-handheld-crimp-sealer.aspx

You can find many on Amazon too!
    Well the end result is that the foods can last a very long time this way, from 7 years to 30 years.

Let me know if there is anything I left out, please post here.

Tolik
    Tolik
    Survivalist
    member10

I have yet to try this out for long term , but I have seen several videos on breaking open a 5 gal bucket that has been stored for over 10 years . Some are fine , and some didnt make it , from what I could tell , its how you seal the lid that makes it or breaks it . Also , 10 years ago , they didn’t have some of the things we have today as far as the buckets themselves go .

Whirlibird
    Whirlibird
    Survivalist
    member10

It’s a combination of how you seal the lid, how you package the contents (most important) and how you store the container (2nd most important).

By breaking the contents down into smaller packages instead of one large package, you reduce the risk of the seal failing and losing the entire contents.
    You have more seals to do, so run the risk of a seal failing but you reduce the risk of volume loss at the same time

Years ago, the O2 absorbers weren’t as common or available so people nitrogen packed, or CO2 or dry iced the contents trying to remove/replace the oxygen in the container. Adequate sometimes, but often not quite right.

Now we find a lot of our methods were faulty or inadequate for long term use/storage.
    Happily we have also found that the proven methods used by the pro’s are available to us with minimal effort, even better for us.

For long term storage, the Gamma seals are neat but a waste of money when a standard lid will seal just as fine and costs much less. Keep a few Gamma’s around for the buckets you open, or work out of, but for 20 year storage, they’re a waste realistically. Just keep a lid wrench handy.

Profile photo of freedom
    freedom
    Survivalist
    rnews

Tolik, What happens is that some do not use the Mylar bags. They only use the food grade buckets with the oxygen absorbers.

If you use the Mylar bags with the oxygen absorbers all oxygen will be absorbed. Oxygen is the problem.

The great thing about the Gamma Lids is you can open the food bucket and nothing happens till you cut open the Mylar bag, Also you can take some food out of the Mylar bag then add a new oxygen absorber 2,000cc and reseal the Mylar bag.

Profile photo of freedom
    freedom
    Survivalist
    rnews

Also if you store white rice it can last forever, 25 to 30 years. The key is the oxygen absorbers, in the Mylar bags.

Tolik
    Tolik
    Survivalist
    member10

Cool !!!

Darin Prentice
    Darin Prentice
    Survivalist
    member4

super, good stuff. yes i seen a scenario video about that too, maybe not the same. but buried buckets inside oil drums. my partner has old fridges burried with food stuffs, lays them on their back and places buckets inside. with lid closed a thick tarp covers it, and earth covered over top. best part was i was walking ontop of them for a month before he said anything.

Prepare, Preserve, Protect...

Profile photo of freedom
    freedom
    Survivalist
    rnews

Whirlibird, I agree with you, I use the Mylar bags only when I use the small ones, so I put ten or more in the five gallon buckets.

But when I store rice and beans I just store them in the food grade bucket and add the oxygen absorbers. The key is to use the Gamma lids so you can open and use some of the food an then reseal the bucket, but you need to add another 2,000cc oxygen absorber to the bucket.

On this website you can see an image were they use more then one Mylar bag in the same five gallon bucket.

http://www.optimumpreparedness.com/mylar_bags_for_long_term_food_storage.html

vettom
    vettom
    Survivalist
    member2

I use my vacuum sealer for use in my gamma buckets. I use sealed unopened items in them too. I did not intend for mine to be used for long term >5 years. So this helps but I have longer term stuff but not in my buckets.

Profile photo of freedom
    freedom
    Survivalist
    rnews

Something else to think about is that in a SHTF these food grade bucket have many uses so when you finish the food stored in the bucket you can use it to store water since it is food grade. Also food you grow in the garden. The five gallon bucket have so many uses they can write a book on just that.

Profile photo of freedom
    freedom
    Survivalist
    rnews

vettom, you have the option to do long term storage if you use the 2,000cc oxygen absorber. The 2,000cc oxygen absorber are not that expensive.

Profile photo of freedom
    freedom
    Survivalist
    rnews

Also if you want you can use only the Mylar bags with the oxygen absorber and then seal them. They make the Mylar bags in all sizes.

vettom
    vettom
    Survivalist
    member2

Freedom I do use O2 absorbers in smaller size containers and vacuum bags that are in buckets. I have white and black gamma lids too. This way I don’t have to open larger bags and can put a lot in these buckets like powdered milk. I also use my vacuum sealer for the emp proof bags too that are in buckets. Thanks

Profile photo of freedom
    freedom
    Survivalist
    rnews

vettom, The vacuum bags are a good idea. I have a big family on my wife side about 20 in all so the large Mylar bags
    are good for me. But if it is a small family the small Mylar bags or vacuum bags are great.

Were do you purchase the emp proof bags?

Profile photo of tweva
    tweva
    Survivalist
    rreallife

Freedom – I believe Ready Made Resources carries them. The are made by a company called TruProtect.

Re 5 gallon buckets I use square buckets so I can stack them better.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 24 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.