Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

With all the talk about what bug out vehicle to have, it occurred to me that a key factor in moving a lot of stuff is how it’s organized. If you have a pickup truck and everything you to bring is packed into the truck loose it will make for a real pain when you need something.

I have been using 12 storage bins like the one pictured below for 5 years and they have been great. They are 100% waterproof, strong and stack-able. Empty they nest together for a small foot print. The bins will hold a 100lbs. of stuff and still hold their shape. The rim has a flange strengthening the bin preventing distortion and provides a means to pick them up easily. The tops snap on and are recessed to accept the bottom of a bin locking the two together. The rim flange and the top are slotted so the tops can be tied down or a stack can be bound together. I have stacked 5 high filled with weight without any problems.

In my van I have organized them in many different ways depending on how I was using the van. Using them is like building with Legos. They make a decent platform for a resting area placed in a single layer with a piece of plywood on top with a pad.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Profile photo of MountainBiker
    MountainBiker
    Survivalist
    member10

I have a bunch of the exact same bins and they are very durable and sturdy. A year ago I went to Home Depot to buy more and though what they had looked the same, they struck me as having been cheapened somehow. I always test the lids to make sure they go on securely and what they had weren’t snapping on tight like the ones I had. Maybe it was just a bad batch. The bin itself seemed just as good though.

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

I used a 3 or 4 other types and destroyed them. These have held up to a lot of abuse.

Profile photo of Brulen
    Brulen
    Survivalist
    member9

I’ve got 8 of the rubbermaid action packer in the 48 gal size. They’re pretty darn good for dropping crap into. They stack ok and mostly keep out water except they do leak sometimes. But I just checked the price and wow have they gone up. I can’t buy them locally anymore just off amazon. They hold tents and camping gear. In an emergency I could use them for water. Plus they lock. I have smaller ones I keep locked all the time. Just so I know which containers have fragile stuff and which don’t. Sunlight doesn’t seem to destroy them either. I’ve never tried to cache one but it might make an interesting experiment when the ground thaws.

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

Brulen I don’t think any bin currently available would be suitable for ununderground use. I would buy a plastic barrel or use pvc pipe for that purpose.

Profile photo of Brulen
    Brulen
    Survivalist
    member9

<div class=”d4p-bbp-quote-title”>74 wrote:</div>Brulen I don’t think any bin currently available would be suitable for ununderground use. I would buy a plastic barrel or use pvc pipe for that purpose.

whatever…. it has to be good for 20 years. Past that neither you or I will care anymore. Cosmoline argone nitrogen, lead casket. lol

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.