Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

http://www.stoppingpower.net/

This site is run by Evan Marshal, author of the Stopping Power and is a leading authority on the subject. This site contains a forum and many other forms of information.

chester
    chester
    Survivalist
    member7

Interesting. Thanks for sharing.

Profile photo of sledjockey
    sledjockey
    Bushcrafter
    member8

Just be careful with taking any single site as gospel, particularly Marshall’s. He and Sanow built their models without any real scientific statical analysis used. It was pure interpretation of data and no scientific method applied. The other thing to be careful of when determining that all elusive “stopping power” is that there are several thoughts about the matter.

All I am saying is that this is a good resource for some data, but make sure you use multiple sources and analyze your data appropriately before applying it.

http://ageofdecadence.com

Robin
    Robin
    Survivalist
    member8

About two years ago I did a self assessment of stopping power. Friends and myself made targets out of newspaper. Stack it about a foot deep and wrap it in tape. We each had one. One friend used Glazer, another used JHP and I used Hydroshock.
    The JHP and Hydroshock both penetrated but not like the Glazer. The first two plugged but not the Glazer. It went in about 6 inches with great deformation. The others not as far and did not fully expand.
    We used 9 mm’s.
    Now I carry a Rock Island single stack 1911 with a bull barrel. 9 mm is now my back up.

Robin

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

Robin, have you tried the same test with your 45?

Robin
    Robin
    Survivalist
    member8

Not yet.
    Robin

Whirlibird
    Whirlibird
    Survivalist
    member10

Over at Stopping Power, you’ll note that Marshall never says there’s a magic hullet or load.
    The same was said in the books.

There are many factors in play.
    The statistics had to be broad and general and couldn’t factor ib things like attitude or the will to live.
    Some results had transposed numbers, some just had the normal flukes.

However around the same time, a couple of other studies were done, with similar results and different data sources that got similar results.
    Then there’s info from sources like Cirillo who got to see firsthand the results of numerous gunfights including his own. As well as ER doctors reports up to the present.

In the end they all generally come to the same conclusion, with modern ammo and decent hits there’s little difference between the common defensive chamberings in effectiveness.

Choose the biggest caliber and weapon you can effectively use and you’re generally well off, providing you used good ammo.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.