Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of MountainBiker
    MountainBiker
    Survivalist
    member10

I watch very little TV and am not up on all of the shows these days but earlier this evening I watched one of those “flip this house” type shows. It was set in Las Vegas and they were rehabbing an upscale house to flip. It apparently was a foreclosure and the former owners were preppers. They called it the doomsday house and went out of their way to portray preppers as wackos. It was all clearly staged. Supposedly the preppers left all their preps behind when they got foreclosed on. Mind you, they removed their furniture but somehow left the preps behind, which the renovators then promptly threw away. The staging was ridiculous. The preppers left pig legs (or something like that) hanging on racks in the kitchen and they were perfectly fresh as if the preppers had just moved out that morning which clearly was not the case. There was a pile of a couple dozen cases of water piled in the middle of a bedroom as if that’s where they’d of stored water. There were targets on walls and even a knife left in one. The pool water was all green as you’d expect with a foreclosure that’s been sitting for a long time but they even attributed that to somehow being on account preppers had lived there. Then supposedly the preppers broke into the house several times during the renovations, once spray painting on the walls “We want our stuff” and the final time setting off a smoke bomb. The police never get called which pretty much affirms it was all staged. Though it was clear to me that it was all staged, the average person’s interpretation was surely that all preppers are wackos. Pissed me off.

Profile photo of foodforthought
    foodforthought
    Survivalist
    member2

Disappointing, but that’s how tv works. sensationalism. I want to believe that the average person doesn’t fall for it, but tv programming bypasses the conscious brain and somehow affects the subconscious, so I’m suspicious.

It will just make people reticent to talk about their preps. Which is ok by me. I don’t want everyone knowing that i have anything stored, and because of these shows, people probably won’t ask. “Why are you asking? Are YOU a prepper?” Say that and watch how fast they backpedal :)

upward and onward

Profile photo of Ron S
    Ron S
    Survivalist
    member6

MB: I also watch very little TV because so much of it is just inane BS and a waste of my time. Like you, I can’t imagine genuine preppers taking their furniture without taking their preps: it doesn’t make sense. Unless their idea of preppping was to have plenty of alcohol on hand and consuming it instead of taking food and water. Ron S

Malgus
    Malgus
    Survivalist
    member8

99.98% of anything on the idiot box is garbage…

Of course it was faked… and, when they show “real” people, they go out of their way to find the most unhinged, unbalanced goobers they can and portray them as a representative sample of us all…

You know we don’t sit in the basement watching Fox News, reading Soldier of Fortune, thumbing rounds into magazines and praying for the end of western civilization or the zombie apocalypse – whichever comes first – .. just so we can say “TOLD YA SO!!”….

Those in the media are part of the problem. Media is infested with Cultural Marxists and statist lickspittles… they are a disgrace. Even if only because they get to set the narrative and they abuse their power, targeting people they don’t like or disagree with…

Best advice is to turn off the fancy glowing picture box and go back to work…

The wicked flee when none pursueth..." - Proverbs 28:1

Leopard
    Leopard
    Survivalist
    member8

Best advice is to turn off the fancy glowing picture box and go back to work…

It is good to save. It is normal to save, especially if you are getting older. It is very wise to be prepared and have the necessary things in place if you have got children that depends on you. It is good to have the will to survive – the will to protect your family and your country.

Why do people feel threatened by survivalist? Because they can not be controlled like puppets.They think for themselves and work towards being independent. Not paying the electricity bill because there ain’t one to pay.

Many poor people are forced to cope with what they’ve got. To make a plan with that empty bottle or broken down vehicle. How to treat illness with next to nothing. They need to move to bad neigborhoods and survive the crime. To laugh at them, thinking how discusting they are .. without knowing what they know – that is stupid ! They’ve got experience in survival..

Malgus
    Malgus
    Survivalist
    member8

Why do people feel threatened by survivalist?

The short answer? In part at least…

Burt Gummer.

“Burt Gummer” is a fictional character in a B-grade monster movie made in the US back around 1990 or so called “Tremors”.

“Burt” was a “survivalist”. Since the movie was also a comedy, the writers, etc, made “Burt” – and his wife – an over-the-top parody of anyone wanting to be self-sufficient and self-reliant. Their home was literally a reinforced bunker. They had weapons stashed everywhere. Literally, a wall of guns. Bert and his wife come across as clearly unhinged, but good people to be friends with when giant monsters attack…

The movie turned out to be a surprising hit and has a large cult following. I think it’s hilarious. Unfortunately, most people take Bert at face value and it’s the first thing they think of when someone talks about being a ‘survivalist’ or a ‘prepper’…

This… is Bert Gummer. Almost every line of his in the movie should be on a t-shirt…

The wicked flee when none pursueth..." - Proverbs 28:1

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Profile photo of freedom
    freedom
    Survivalist
    rnews

The news media, movie companies and the government do not like us to be prepared. They like to be able to control us with food and water when the SHTF. Food is the easiest way to control the people. So they know that preppers have food and water stored and they also know that 99% of preppers have weapons too. It all goes against there rules of control.

Just keep prepping and try your best to get others to prepare too. The more preppers and gun owners the country has the harder it will be for the government to take control of the people.

Profile photo of tweva
    tweva
    Survivalist
    rreallife

Well I have a bit different perspective.

‘Preppers’, self-reliant sorts of people….make the general public nervous. I truly believe that sub-conciously the ‘public’ (in the main) knows full well that ‘prepping’ makes sense…but …then they would 1) have to make time to make preparations 2) spend a few dollars on supplies that they would rather spend on fast food, i-tunes or whatever, 3) take responsibility for their own health, safety and future. It makes the peeps uncomfortable…so it is easier to stereotype and ridicule than face hard truths and DO!

Profile photo of tweva
    tweva
    Survivalist
    rreallife

PS I stopped watching the tube 12 years ago. Don’t miss it. Amazing how much other stuff you can accomplish without the idiot box as distraction. Your mental health improves tremendously too!

Tolik
    Tolik
    Survivalist
    member10

I only watch Russian TV( its the only thing I can get ) , its actually pretty good .

Profile photo of Ron S
    Ron S
    Survivalist
    member6

I think that for a person to be acknowledged as a prepper is similar to be known as a NERD. Now i’ve always been a NERD and it doesn’t bother me but a lot of others are afraid that to be a prepper is not cool so they try to avoid it if at all possible, even if they know it to be detrimental to their health and future well-being. Ron S

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

People just don’t want to acknowledge the realities and fragility of life. I’m not going to live in fear, therefore I will not recognize the cliff I’m standing next to blindfolded. I will walk off the edge with my brethren like a lemmings rather than admit it is a danger.

Profile photo of freedom
    freedom
    Survivalist
    rnews

I have read many post in other blogs of people that own guns but are not preppers. In there post they say that all they need is there guns. With there guns they will find food. So these people think of just taking the food from preppers at gun point. Some think that they will just kill the preppers and steal there food and water.

So there will be trouble down the road for us preppers. We need to understand this and be careful when the SHTF times.

Profile photo of MountainBiker
    MountainBiker
    Survivalist
    member10

freedom, the non-prepper folks who think all they need is their guns is that though they may initially have some limited success, it isn’t likely to last long. A survival model that assumes both that others will have whatever you need and that you can take it from them isn’t sustainable. They will run into resistance and they’re not always going to find what they need. Bear in mind that most homes will be out of food within a week and that unfiltered water isn’t going to be safe. Each day goes by they will have to hunt harder and further to sustain themselves, and they’ll be subject to more resistance.

Selco
    Selco
    Survivalist
    member6

Preppers actually do not fall into the cliche that “society will take care about everything” so by that we are different, and different usually means dangerous to most of the folks.
    And yes, media have their own ways to make something ridiculous if they want.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.