Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Whirlibird
    Whirlibird
    Survivalist
    member10

Okay, I’m probably the last to hear about this,
    Yup, I can be that oblivious.

Customer came in yesterday wanting some custom work done.

He set a folding stock AK and a 1911 on the counter and asked if I could “steampunk” them.

I replied, I can do almost anything to them, but what’s steampunk?
    He tried to explain it, I had to go and look it up online.
    So now I’m doing up some drawings/plans to work these over.

So enough background.

As I’m looking through various sources for ideas, it hits me that these people for all their playing are closer to survivalists than they’d like to think about.

Steam power, archaic and complex but no modern fuels to deal with.
    Heavy duty clothing, leather, denim and cotton duck as well as the standard wool.
    A return to a time of mechanics, of engineering.
    Brass fixtures, easy to machine and work, can’t figure out all the cogs, but what the hey.
    The Victorian values, beats the heck out of the obamanation and the welfare state.
    And they like guns. Huge fantasy things, but guns none the less.

If nothing else, its curious and worth a look for amusement.
    And if there’s something practical, better yet.

The truly funny part, living in a railroad town, I see lots of brass, old steam locomotives and parts on walls and in pictures, and minus a few mechanical tidbits added on, the RR workers over a hundred years ago were steampunk before it existed.

Curiouser and curiouser.

Profile photo of undeRGRönd
    undeRGRönd
    Survivalist
    member8

Yeah Cool Stuff!
    Will Smith’s version of “Wild Wild West” the movie has plenty of steampunk machinery in it…

Your customer picked out 2 easy to convert weapons, IMO
    Modern day tactical would stand out like a sore thumb, and hard to “antique”
    I expect lots of pics, Whirli! lol

"ROGUE ELECTRICIAN" Hoping to be around to re-energize the New World.....

Cogito, ergo armatus sum

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    undeRGRönd
    Survivalist
    member8

One I found, good halfway point. The paracord around the grip is really STP I think!

Cogito, ergo armatus sum

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Profile photo of Vadim
    Vadim
    Survivalist
    member3

If implementable and practical, Steampunk would possibly become mainstream under certain conditions.

The question: how realistic and practical Steampunk can possibly be, after leaving behind unrealistic and anti-scientific fantasies from Hollywood movies? My limited understanding is it is all about Art&Fashion as of yet.

http://www.amazon.com/Mechanical-Movements-Devices-Appliances-Science/dp/0486457435

(somebody shared a link to this book sometime ago here, unlike imaginary Steampunk, all of the devices described above are realistic, whatever “strange” they may look like).

Whirlibird
    Whirlibird
    Survivalist
    member10

Ignoring the art and fashion behind much of it, much of the style comes from the industrial revolution era. And that’s not entirely a bad thing.

Before plastic, there was copper and brass. Easy to work, inexpensive and fairly durable.

And the how practical was what i was thinking of.
    The clothing styles have changed, but we’re still wearing wool, cotton duck (carharts), denim and so on.

Granted the top hats and bowlers may be bit silly, but not that long ago a man or woman wasn’t fully dressed without a hat. Look around today, at all the ball caps, while not “proper” they do continue the tradition.

How much from those years survives and still functions? That kerosene stove still runs while that microwave from 1990….
    How many preppers are going old school? Old knives and axes, old tools? Because they last and work better. My wife just got a new set of pans, her last was around 20 years old and were no longer non-stick. Whereas my 100+ year old cast iron pots are still the same.

These steampunks may not know it, but by adopting all this, perhaps they are setting themselves up for success, however accidentally.

undeRGRönd
    Survivalist
    member8

Love that Cast Iron Cookware!

Heavy, but very durable…

Cogito, ergo armatus sum

Profile photo of tweva
    tweva
    Survivalist
    rreallife

Click here for loads of steampunk guns and weaponry pics.

Over the last 6-8 years have had more than a few Steampunk employees. Much prefer over Goth or HipHop or…..

Profile photo of Vadim
    Vadim
    Survivalist
    member3

<div class=”d4p-bbp-quote-title”>Whirlibird wrote:</div>much of the style comes from the industrial revolution era. And that’s not entirely a bad thing.

IMHO, that’s not bad at all. But my questions are: how useful is the “style”? What is more essential – “style” or “functionality”?

<div class=”d4p-bbp-quote-title”>Whirlibird wrote:</div>Look around today, at all the ball caps

This is what I use mine for: http://www.harborfreight.com/5-led-cap-light-65288.html (beside Sun protection, of course!)

<div class=”d4p-bbp-quote-title”>Whirlibird wrote:</div>How many preppers are going old school? Old knives and axes, old tools?

And you call all of that “Steampunk”? Old-school manual/hand tools are FUNCTIONAL and non-pretentious (blending in, low profile, etc etc, preaching to the choir), while Steampunk is, whatever it is, dysfunctional Art&Fashion (?)

P.S. Eagerly waiting to see any “Steampunk” tools or items of practical (not esthetic, showing off, decamouflaging) value to your average preparer/survivalist/handy(wo)man.

undeRGRönd
    Survivalist
    member8

…Eagerly waiting to see any “Steampunk” tools or items of practical (not esthetic, showing off, decamouflaging) value to your average preparer/survivalist/handy(wo)man.

I envision it as this… now clear your mind…
    Take a basic AR15 flat top, add a stylized forward grip, ornamental scope, 45* offset BUIS and wrap paracord on the pistol grip. add a magwell grip, and most of the tactical accessories can be a tacKY brass color, or other metal paint. Then your de-camo is completed as well ;)

Cogito, ergo armatus sum

Whirlibird
    Whirlibird
    Survivalist
    member10

Vadim: The kid who came in wasn’t in full garb, but did have a mixture of gear on his belt and on him.

We got to chatting about much of it, including the “fire tin” he had in his pocket. Brass of course with a magnifying glass inset into the lid. Flint and steel, matches real strike anywheres, and tinder.

We got to discussing guns, and the AR180 carried by Mal in Serenity was an example. Stylized long handguard, brass (TiN) and black painted to show age/wear. Long scope, again with the wear. High tech, yet very retro/victorian.

He lights his place with oil lamps, collects tools and gear such as RR lanterns and so on.

I’m not saying its any kind of end all be all genre, but like many, there can be some things taken from it.

We just had our annual Rendezvous’ here. Thousands of people wandering around in fur trade era garb and living in teepees and such.

Both have gear and styles that can be helpful, but to emulate either in its entirety is silly.
    Both have gear and tools that are functional, even if you have to strip indian beads off or ignore some spray paint.

And an observation, the kid was the most polite of his generation I’ve run into. Some of that Victorian reading I’m sure, while the rendezvous attendees were rude, crude and after nearly a week in persona smelled like a herd of sheep. And I’m not sure what’s worse, top hats and goggles or rancid racoon tails dangling from belts.

I guess I remember where I grew up, lots of antiques, brass fixtures and such, steam and kerosene tractors, the neighbor had a steam engine in his shop to power the tools.

undeRGRönd
    Survivalist
    member8

Whirlibird wrote:
    I’m not saying its any kind of end all be all genre, but like many, there can be some things taken from it.

BINGO!

I see where the eclectic mixture of new and old, hi-tech, low tech and offbeat tech will be used in the future as an “All of the Above” strategy for Survival. We need all sources of energy as we transition from an
    Oil Based World Economy, to whatever is next. As some of you may know, I am a firm believer in OverUnity, which means 100% efficiencies are the starting point ;) Our stupidly wasteful home appliances and autos are grossly inefficient and outdated. An electric car or truck with a micro-diesel or turbine engine powering a generator (plus battery/capacitor bank) could easily achieve over 100 MPG and do everything a fuel powered vehicle can currently do in work load or commuting. They are not only screwing us at the gas pump, but also at the electric meter (approximately 1/3 to 1/2 the power on the grid is wasted in transmission) and then again when we use this power in the home! Current CFLs actually use nearly TWICE the wattage the package claims! So the savings over incandescents are not 75% but just barely over 50% :( I could get more technical, but the end result is the same.

Cogito, ergo armatus sum

Jay
    Jay
    Survivalist
    member3

That’s a pretty awesome request. Please share the results of this.

Head over here for lots of steampunk inspiration.

http://www.deviantart.com/?q=steampunk

or even better lots of more steampunk weapons

http://www.deviantart.com/morelikethis/368908465

Alea iacta est ("The die has been cast")

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.