Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 32 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of MountainBiker
    MountainBiker
    Survivalist
    member10

Post-SHTF the current laws won’t matter much but right now it is a legal minefield when it comes to concealed and/or open carry from one State to the next. You folks that live in geographically large States may not routinely be crossing State lines but up here we do it all the time because we are never far from a State border. At issue is being caught out-of-State come SHTF when you are unarmed. Have others here found solutions to this issue? Various combinations of States have reciprocity arrangements but for me at least there are none. VT doesn’t have any gun licensing at all for open or concealed carry and so there isn’t anything for another State to recognize. I know that FL and NV issue non-resident permits but none of the States in the Northeast recognize it so I still wouldn’t be able to exit VT using it. Maybe we’re just in a unique situation with an unsolvable problem.

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

Mtb,
    Sorry to say but as far as ccw goes I think you’re SOL. It does not mean you cannot bring a weapon along on your trip. Keep an unloaded gun with a trigger lock installed in the back of your SUV in a locked case. Keep the ammo in a separate place. Once you reach your destination you can keep the weapon in your domicile. Don’t bring a gun with high capacity magazines, or bring hollow points. I’m pretty certain MA, NJ & maybe others states it’s illegal to be in possession of hollow points and NY & Conn. a magazine over 10 rounds.

You need to know what states are “Must Inform” when stopped by LE.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=must%20inform%20states%20list&source=web&cd=2&ved=0CCMQFjAB&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.handgunlaw.us%2Fdocuments%2Fstate_page_explaination.pdf&ei=XySYVL3VFuaIsQSrhIDgCQ&usg=AFQjCNFd8PuKfdZHOlFdwEl8aZpN3S0yVg&bvm=bv.82001339,d.cWc

Profile photo of Brulen
    Brulen
    Survivalist
    member9

A magazine over ten rounds must be downloaded to just 10. But honestly now….. criminals come more than two sometimes.

Sanity in Ny is on a slippery slope.

MountainBiker
    Survivalist
    member10

Brulen, part of the problem in New England is you can’t get to the rest of the country without going through NY, not that MA or CT are much better. Throw in Quebec not exactly being a bastion of gun rights and NH is the only friendly neighbor VT has.

Profile photo of sledjockey
    sledjockey
    Bushcrafter
    member8

Just because I want to finally be the first one to say it in a thread like this: This is why I live West of the Mississippi River.

More on topic though: I really don’t see a solution for you. NY will arrest you for even having a firearm (or picture of one in your mind for that matter) even if it is disassembled, locked up, flown over the state by African Sparrow, and surrounded in a carbon fiber capsule only unlocked via biometric systems requiring 4 people to iclude the Pope and Sean Penn.

http://ageofdecadence.com

MountainBiker
    Survivalist
    member10

sledjockey, it is ironic that a simple line on a map separates NY and all that entails from VT where there are no licenses and hardly any gun laws at all. Every time I cross the border into NY I always wonder if the folks living near the border are thinking “why didn’t I just go another mile further east when looking to buy a home”.

Profile photo of Brulen
    Brulen
    Survivalist
    member9

sledjockey you’re talking about Nyc, the five boroughs. the rest of the state is relatively free or in revolt. But you see what Nyc is turning into – a kill zone for cops. The cops turn their backs to the mayor when he walks by. The fact is if you want to go anywhere in the US its increasingly unsafe and its better to avoid black areas entirely. White middle class suv owners don’t get harassed for guns. This is an observed fact. Stay away from metal detectors, airports, public buildings, drug sellers and you usually won’t interact with cops in any way. lol

Profile photo of Brulen
    Brulen
    Survivalist
    member9

The Co Mayor of Nyc is Al Sharpton. This is going to be nasty. Officialdum are sitting on a thirld world bomb. Too many problems for the Army of Blue to handle. To much crime, to much anger, to many muzz. Its a very volatile situation for all gun owners in NY.

sledjockey
    Bushcrafter
    member8

Brulen: I have an easier way…. I stay away from the East Coast. Works for me and my family since the 1870’s……

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

“Works for me and my family since the 1870′s……” – Sledjockey

Egad you’re old…

sledjockey
    Bushcrafter
    member8

74: Naw. Just know my roots. My ancestors moved away from the East Coast after the War of Northern Agression and all the Reformation crap that was installed as a punishment for the South’s rebellion.

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

I suppose that history lesson will get told eventually. My folks skipped all that fun, came over about the same time and moved directly out to the Dakota’s. Must have been hard living. The old Army stockade fort is still there.

Tolik
    Tolik
    Survivalist
    member10

AZ has Constitutional carry , so no need for a CC , but it does honor most other states CC license carriers .

Whirlibird
    Whirlibird
    Survivalist
    member10

Wyoming, like Vermont, Alaska and Arizona has constitutional carry.
    We also have CCW permits, for those who may leave and visit other places. And 36 states recognize that permit, the places that don’t, who wants to visit anyways?

The bonus? We don’t have to call in for a background check to huy a firearm here if you have your CCW, it replaces it, you’ve already been cleared. You walk in, slap down your ID, your CCW and your money and fill out the form and you’re out as soon as you finish scribbling the 4473 out.

And one sideline item, as a former cop I liked to see CCW permits.
    They showed in an instant that the holder wasn’t a criminal.
    They may not like the .gov, but they played by the rules and had taken the time and effort to get the permit and weren’t likely to do something stupid to endanger that permit.
    And most were very friendly during our brief contacts.
    That whole, an armed society is a polite society.

Take a look at the reciprocity laws of the other states and take them to your legislators, you might just make it happen.

As for screw york, I will reserve my comments.

MountainBiker
    Survivalist
    member10

Whirli, it is because the VT Constitution is so clearly written on this issue that we don’t have any licensing. As great as that is, it creates the situation where there isn’t anything for another State to recognize. Just showing my driver’s license wouldn’t tell anyone in another State that I wasn’t a prohibited person under Federal law so as 74 said at the beginning of this discussion, I’m SOL when I leave VT.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 32 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.