Tagged: 

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of instructor
    instructor
    Survivalist
    member3

Infused Dandelion Flower Vinegar
    My garden is totally full of dandelions at the moment. My wife goes mad as she hates them so I decided to make some dandelion flower vinegar.
    Ingredients

• Dandelion flower heads
    • Cider vinegar
    • Sealable jar

So I took a carrier bag out into the garden and filled it full of dandelions.
    Back in the kitchen I washed them to remove any bugs etc. shook the water off and put them into the sealable jar and I covered them in good quality cider vinegar then sealed the jar and put it into the cupboard under the sink.
    Some say they should be left for up to 8weeks but I usually attack in after about a week.
    Do try it as you might just like it.

Dandelion Salad with Vinegar and Oil Dressing
    This is a salad of freshly gathered dandelion greens, tossed with a homemade vinegar and oil dressing
    Ingredients:

• One huge bowl full of freshly gathered dandelion greens
    • Vinegar and Oil Dressing Ingredients:
    • 1/4 cup vinegar
    • 1/8 cup water
    • 1 rounded tablespoon sugar
    • 1/4 teaspoon garlic salt
    • 1/4 teaspoon onion salt
    • 1/4 teaspoon seasoned salt
    • 1/8 teaspoon celery seed
    • 1/8 cup olive or vegetable oil
    • Optional toppings:

• chopped fried turkey bacon
    • chopped hard boiled eggs
    • shredded cheese
    • parmesan cheese
    • any other favourite salad topping

Instructions:
    1. Wash the dandelion greens in water in the sink. I usually wash in at least two sinks of water, and then cut off the root and put the (now separated) dandelion greens in a clean bowl. Be sure to include the buds (which have not flowered) — they’re tasty!
    2. Combine dressing ingredients in a container with a tightly sealing lid. Shake until sugar is dissolved.
    3. Put dandelion greens into a large bowl (to allow room for stirring). Pour dressing over greens and toss to coat. Serve into bowls and add optional toppings if desired.
    Dandelion greens are best eaten before the flower has appeared. Using a large flat-head screw driver (or similar object), cut the root of the dandelion to release the plant.

anika
    anika
    Survivalist
    rreallife

YUM, instructor! Thank you for another easy-to-follow idea – I love seeing posts by you come up! *grin* Can’t wait to try it out!

Gypsy Wanderer Husky
    Gypsy Wanderer Husky
    Survivalist
    exprepper

Ok this is soooo not cool!! I still have three feet of snow out side and now I want fresh greens!! *Wipes tears*

Prepare for the unknown by studying how others in the past have coped with the unforeseeable and the unpredictable.
    George S. Patton

nlouise
    nlouise
    Survivalist
    member4

What a wonderful use for dandelion tops.

If you have a juicer you can juice the green leaves. Run them through with an apple and drink it in the mornings as a green drink. They are loaded with vitamins and minerals. I have to purchase dandelion greens (not joking) from the grocery store for juicing because in the desert I don’t have dandelions here …….wish I did!

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.