Tagged: 

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

I’m posting a link to a guide on felling trees. If you are inexperienced this guide may provide help.

https://www.osha.gov/SLTC/etools/logging/manual/felling/cuts/special_techniques.html

If you have questions about logging methods ask your questions here, and if you are person with experience to share, help us with answers.

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews
    Profile photo of MountainBiker
    MountainBiker
    Survivalist
    member10

Thanks. I printed them out for future reference.

A tree question I have concerns when to be proactive taking trees down. My issue specifically are some very large trees in the poplar family (not sure exactly which species) which dependent upon the direction they fell in might hit the house. The largest of them has a circumference of about 11′ at waist height, so I’m talking big trees. If any hit the house now it wouldn’t be a big deal so long as we weren’t underneath where it hit. A call to the insurance company would set the repairs in motion. Post-SHTF however that wouldn’t be happening. They are fully mature and entering the slow decline phase of life but such processes are slow. What stops me from having them taken down now is they are magnificent to look at and add a lot to the aesthetics of the property. Maybe it comes down to how lucky I feel.

Profile photo of freedom
    freedom
    Survivalist
    rnews

Great information to know, I personally have not done much cutting of trees since I live in the city. When I have cut down a tree I just cut on one side so this is some important method that looks like would make it easier to bring down a large tree.

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

Free,
    Making the hinge is the key to controlling the direction of the fall. However you can’t over come gravity with a hinge and I had one tear off like it wasn’t even there once when I improperly calculated the direction it would fall.

MTB,
    Tree management has a lot of different variables. Commercial interest is different then landscaping. You need to know the variety of poplar and the expected age/size it might grow.

I think you probably have a Tulip poplar which is not a poplar.
    http://plants.usda.gov/factsheet/pdf/fs_litu.pdf http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liriodendron

Poplar Populus (Salicaceae)
    eastern cottonwood Populus deltoides
    balsam poplar Populus balsamifera
    bigtooth aspen Populus grandidentata
    quaking aspen, trembling aspen, popple Populus tremuloides

I have seen tulip poplar trees get up to about 20 inches in diameter and 60-80 feet tall so you could have a long way to go.

MountainBiker
    Survivalist
    member10

74, they’re definitely not tulip trees. I know what they are. My best guess is the eastern cottonwood.

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

http://www.na.fs.fed.us/pubs/silvics_manual/volume_2/populus/grandidentata.htm

MTB,
    I think I errored what you might have is a Big Tooth Poplar

Cottonwoods send off fluffy white seed like a milkweed so you can identify them easily.

MountainBiker
    Survivalist
    member10

I pulled out a National Audubon tree book I had and it looks to be the eastern cottonwood. The bark doesn’t match the big tooth aspen.

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

MTB,
    The decision to cut the tree really comes down to do it now or do it later. I you pay someone to remove it, less now or more later. And if you do it your self the risk goes up as the tree gets bigger. If the limbs are starting to die off I would do it soon. Felling trees is dangerous get some help from someone that has a lot of experience if this is near your house.

https://www.osha.gov/SLTC/etools/logging/manual/felling/cuts/dangers.html

Profile photo of namelus
    namelus
    Survivalist
    member7
    Profile photo of freedom
    freedom
    Survivalist
    rnews

namelus, all I can say is wow! I had a pine tree 50 foot high on the back yard on the side of my house and hurricane Wilma came though Miami, Florida and hit with a lot of rain and about 100 to 110 miles an hour winds. In the middle of the hurricane Wilma I look outside and the pine tree is down. I run to see if it hit the house and it landed in between my house and the house next door. didn’t hit anything so when I watched the video it just reminded me of that.

Hurricane Wilma had a piece of a fruit tree go though my kitchen window which at the time the wind started to come in and I had to go out in the middle of the hurricane and nail down a plywood to the window and when I hammered the plywood the wife asked me are you OK, well right when she asked me I didn’t look at the hammer and hit my thumb nail and blood went everywhere and four letter words where coming out of my mouth at the same time. Wife asked what happen! There was not one word coming out of my mouth. So there you are, great video.

MountainBiker
    Survivalist
    member10

Namelus, great video! An early snowstorm in October a couple years back brought down a tree between my house and my neighbor’s car parked in his driveway. The limbs literally missed my house by a couple inches and his car by a couple inches. I couldn’t have dropped it that well if I tried. It took out my split rail fence and half of a big old lilac bush but the fence was easily replaced and the lilac bush was newly invigorated from being half cut away and was better than ever the next spring.

74, if any of those giant eastern cottonwoods of mine get taken down, it’ll be the professionals doing it. With the largest of them having a circumference of 11′ (waist high). and others not far behind that, my puny 20″ chainsaw couldn’t do more than nick the thing. These trees have limbs as big as full grown trees.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.