Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of WhiteKnight
    WhiteKnight
    Survivalist
    rprepper

My girlfriend and best friend both live in the affected area. There is a snow storm front just sitting on top of the area. My buddy sent me a picture of his yard. There was no yard to be seen. The very top of his 4.5 foot garbage bins were just visible. His car is under a 12 foot drift. Yes, 12 feet. That was at 8am. The snow has continued piling on and it looks like they’re going to be literally snowed in until Thursday at best, Sunday at worst. I am North of the monstrous storm cloud, and haven’t had a single snowflake. Such is the Western New York area.

My girlfriend (who disagrees with my preparedness mentality in a lot of ways) will hopefully learn a bit from this, as she is already a bit nervous. I know that she’ll be fine, but I can already see the major disadvantage and propensity for panic that a completely unprepared mind has. And this is with a fair amount of exposure to the ideas of a prepared individual (me).

This reminds me to point out to those in applicable areas to do a little research on the Blizzard of 1977… there are unique preparedness challenges for snowstorms and we would do well to remember them. One of the most important is to have a car filled with cold weather essentials, along with a 72 hour BOB (you’ll need the foodstuffs and water). My girlfriend’s uncle has been stuck on the highway since 3am!! (It is now 5:51pm as I type). Luckily, he has a storm kit.

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

Well thank god for global warming, think how bad it would be to have this year round.

Profile photo of Brulen
    Brulen
    Survivalist
    member9

Hmmm… snow apocalypse. The only place worse to be is the Tug Hill plateau. Total accumulation may be 20 feet or more. Got snowshoes and candles. Its 16F here in ny.

Cold night …. 14F now.

Whirlibird
    Whirlibird
    Survivalist
    member10

Hmm, something called winter.
    6″ or 6′, you have to be ready for it.

I have little sympathy for those who refuse to realize that it happens and you need to be ready for whatever mother nature throws at you.

Profile photo of Brulen
    Brulen
    Survivalist
    member9

Adapt or die. Some very good advice from Vinaya in Slovakia. This is one very
    large snow cannon when it starts shooting off Lake Ontario. It hasn’t shot like
    this in decades or maybe never in historical memory. Ultimately it may be bug out or be buried alive.
    I’m beginning to wonder if I split enough wood to last the winter. If it gets really cold all bets are off. I’ve heard about winters like this from the 1700s. If its bad it will be a major test of the grid and infrastructure. Not unsurvivable just very very interesting if you like snow, and I DO. lol

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

Starting out winter with 6″ of snow on the ground is going to make things difficult because it won’t go away until spring. Brulen fortunately a lot of people have snow equipment like snowmobiles up there to help out.

Profile photo of MountainBiker
    MountainBiker
    Survivalist
    member10

Anyone who lives in Western NY and other areas that get lake-effect snow from the Great Lakes should be prepared for storms like this. Snowing this much in mid-Nov. is unusual but these areas are known to sometimes get massive amounts of snow. I hope this one wakes some folks up in terms of general preparedness. My understanding is that this storm is made worse by it being a wet snow.

Leopard
    Leopard
    Survivalist
    member8

Well, it is suppose to be summer on our side of the world. It has been cold for days – I’ve got the fireplace going to try and warm up the house. My son made a snow man out of hail a few days ago. Very strange weather.

Profile photo of MountainBiker
    MountainBiker
    Survivalist
    member10

After a very long and cold winter this past year with spring coming almost a month later than normal followed by a very mild summer in which it never truly got hot, and now a early winter upon us, it sure doesn’t seem like global warming around here.

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

Ha, in truth we have had a warm spell for 10, 000 years. It has to swing back at some point.

Profile photo of sledjockey
    sledjockey
    Bushcrafter
    member8

Global Warming is what happens when you make up climate related data to steal money to line your pockets at the expense of those gullible enough to believe that the sky is falling. Everything else is called weather.

No REAL scientific evidence exists to prove that “Global Warming” is really a thing. All data used to create this Chicken Little event was altered and even James Lovelock admits it was a knee jerk reaction.

ARRRRRGGGGG…… I just get SO riled up about some crooked “scientists” who make this stuff up to get government grants thus making my life miserable years later.

Now back to reality and away from the SciFi…. I hope your buddy and girlfriend are going to be okay and that she gets the wake up call she needs without putting her in risk.

http://ageofdecadence.com

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

Sled,
    Not to be argumentative but it was much colder in the past, and much hotter as well. Natural cycles.

http://www.skepticalscience.com/heading-into-new-little-ice-age.htm

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Profile photo of Ogre206
    Ogre206
    Survivalist
    member2

dont want to make an argument here
    but last winter North America had a brutal winter
    so bad toilets froze, hope the coming winter wont be as bad.
    I believe we are experiencing a Ragnarok of sorts

Profile photo of sledjockey
    sledjockey
    Bushcrafter
    member8

Ogre….

Ragnarok…. Nice reference…. The reasons for using Ragnarok to describe a “snow-pocolypse” are numerous and funny.

You are not being argumentative at all……. You are echoing what the common sense person already knows, except for the unsupported claims (again data that is used to claim gas emissions have done anything are using modified numbers) in the article about greenhouse gases. The climate is cyclic.

I just get all ticked off when current weather patterns are always blamed on a POLITICAL phenomenon called Global Warming because it is yet another way to try and oppress the general population. In this case: money, taxes, and useless regulations. I have a real problem with oppression of any sort……

I guess we could use this chart to explain it. It looks just as scientific as the ones that are currently used:

http://ageofdecadence.com

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Whirlibird
    Whirlibird
    Survivalist
    member10

Now those are some statistics I can understand’

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.