Viewing 15 posts - 376 through 390 (of 462 total)
  • Author
    Leopard
    Leopard
    Survivalist
    member8

Brain drain looms for struggling SA
    Economic instability and political uncertainty are changing the face of South African society with young entrepreneurs moving abroad, established businesspeople obtaining dual citizenship and an increase in those selling property so they can emigrate.

http://sbeta.iol.co.za/business/news/brain-drain-looms-for-struggling-sa-1961645

Profile photo of MountainBiker
    MountainBiker
    Survivalist
    member10

I found it interesting that the article focused exclusively on the economic problems of SA and ignored the proverbial elephant in the room, that of escalating crime, infrastructure collapse, and a govt. prejudiced against white people.

Profile photo of
    Anonymous
    Survivalist

Wow! I had the same experience as I read it.

Given as reasons for the brain drain:

“limited job opportunities, economic instability and political uncertainty.”

and a general “inevitability” statement:

“It is inevitable that any modern country will lose some of its best young people as they seek better opportunities elsewhere but I think we have lost more than our fair share.”

Then the guilt trip:

“Unfortunately, many of them are the entrepreneurs who could have built great businesses here and created jobs for many thousands who are unemployed today.”.

Aw, gee – blame the victims that left in order to survive (sometimes even literally)!

But FINALLY, just a hint at what’s really going on:

“Instead they are establishing a safety net and preparing for a ‘worse comes to worst’ scenario.

“A Zimbabwe-style economic and political meltdown, if you will.

And buried at the very bottom:

“This is causing emigration to grow and that’s when you see lack of understanding of modern economic forces from the ANC.

“Those that are leaving are the previously privileged, not previously unprivileged. They have been denied so much for so long. People are leaving because of the mismanagement of the economy.

Surely journalistic excellence at its best…. [sarc/OFF]

Sad – so very sad. And much of the rest of the world will be following the same path, it appears – except where will be left for anyone to go for better opportunities?

Leopard
    Leopard
    Survivalist
    member8

We had a bit of rain last night – it was wonderful. Every little bit helps. Love the smell of rain
    http://www.sapeople.com/2015/12/28/video-reveals-shocking-drought-in-freestate-south-africa-2015/ – Freestate video
    and Northern Cape https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JTYafQslTJc#t=13 It is so sad

Leopard
    Leopard
    Survivalist
    member8

http://www.iol.co.za/business/news/white-maize-hits-record-1965216 I better stock up on chicken food… and so to speak everything else

Profile photo of
    Anonymous
    Survivalist

A strengthening El Niño weather pattern is bringing dry conditions to sub-Saharan Africa, prompting the national weather service to predict below-normal rainfall for the next four months.

Whether man-made climate change, judgements of God, or “mere” concidence, the immediate as well as longer term result is the same. Disaster. Perhaps it’s just more reporting of the news and it only seems like the entire world is being hit with wave after wave of severity, but, well, it sure does seem like it. And society is reacting, and will react even worse, as conditions continue.

We are very fortunate to have each found this resource. Despite up to 10,000 miles between some of us, we can share information to help limit our own negative experiences, and also be supportive of each other. Sometimes just knowing that somebody, somewhere, cares, can be motivation to keep going.

(By the way – in the book section of this site, I recently recommended “Keep Going – The Art of Perseverance,” by Joseph M. Marshall III. I cannot recommend it highly enough. It has had more impact on me than almost any other book, despite it’s very small size, and seeming – but deceptive – simplicity.)

Leopard
    Leopard
    Survivalist
    member8

http://www.timeslive.co.za/thetimes/2016/01/25/Water-the-new-gold

South Africa’s battle to find enough water to feed its industries and households is going to get tougher – and the country’s economic hub, Gauteng, is especially threatened.

“If the Katse dam drops anywhere near 25% of capacity there will be hell to pay, because Katse feeds all of Gauteng. It also feeds the cooling systems of the Mpumalanga power stations, which provide up to 95% of South Africa’s power.
    “If we can’t keep those power stations cool with millions of litres of water an hour, there will be blackouts.”
    Water expert Anthony Turton, said of the dams’ levels: “The [Lesotho Highland Water project] is the water tower of Gauteng.”
    Turton said that once a dam had fallen to 60% of its capacity the decrease from then was rapid.

MountainBiker
    Survivalist
    member10

I was hopeful your other post with the photos of flood waters and full rivers meant maybe the water problems were lessening but SA is a big place and water is needed everywhere. Not good.

Leopard
    Leopard
    Survivalist
    member8

I am going to attach some photo’s of the last few days in Gauteng and other places. Most people are getting very worried at the moment. Food prices are climbing steadily. Political parties are trying to de stabalize the country.

Some Univercities are close and even burning. Students at the North West University’s Mafikeng campus were told to go home on Wednesday night as management opted to shut down the campus ”indefinitely” in the wake of violent protests.
    Gauteng – Metrorail – Two trains burned on Tuesday night at Pretoria Station http://www.iol.co.za/news/crime-courts/prasa-warns-against-torching-of-trains-1989529

(Please note the one photo Not Pretoria students but students from North West – Students and protesters fought)

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Whirlibird
    Whirlibird
    Survivalist
    member10

Leopard, I think I speak for everyone here, when I say :

Do what you have to do to keep you and yours safe.

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

Leopard, I follow in Whirlybird’s sentiments, please keep yourself safe. We are getting zero news of the dilemma occurring in SA, if you can, keep the posts coming.

MountainBiker
    Survivalist
    member10

The reason the major media isn’t covering what’s going on in SA is because it doesn’t fit the agenda. They do not want the world to see what has happened to SA in the wake of Mandela & the gang taking over.

Leopard and our other members in SA, as others have said, do what you must. I cannot see how the situation is going to improve so long as the current gang is in charge.

Profile photo of
    Anonymous
    Survivalist

“It cannot be that while the country is desperately trying to improve its public transport system, with government injecting billions to make this a reality, others are determined to undermine this at all costs,” added Kulu.

It would seem that the above comment pertaining to the burning of rail cars while parked at a Pretoria station, is representative of the overall situation in South Africa, not just its transportation system. Kick it while it’s down, make sure it cannot get back up. Our prayers are with you. It is gut wrenching beyond words. Whirlibird is quite correct.

Meanwhile, I note that certain elements in the region are embracing hope and change, with a new “savior” having arrived from over the eastern horizon:

http://pbrnews.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/02/china-zimbabwe.jpg

Whirlibird
    Whirlibird
    Survivalist
    member10

The chin have been stripping zim for years.
    Investing only what it takes to pull the natural resources out and leave a desolate pit. The .gov goes along with this as they are getting Harry Reid level payoffs.

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

I did a quick search for SA news and there is plenty to see if you go to look for it. Basically it’s ignored here in the US. What is reported else where is astounding.

South Africa’s economy ‘in crisis’
    one rand worth around $0.0639.

http://www.bbc.com/news/business-35650701

The ANC Secretary general Gwede Mantashe accused the U.S. Embassy of hosting meetings to discuss regime change in South Africa, similar to the Arab Spring Photo: AFP/Getty

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/africaandindianocean/southafrica/12168898/US-ambassador-to-South-Africa-If-I-tried-to-organise-a-coup-it-would-look-like-Mardi-Gras.html

• This reply was modified 4 years, 8 months ago by Profile photo of 74 74.
    • This reply was modified 4 years, 8 months ago by Profile photo of 74 74.
Viewing 15 posts - 376 through 390 (of 462 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.