Viewing 15 posts - 301 through 315 (of 444 total)
  • Author
    Whirlibird
    Whirlibird
    Survivalist
    member10

Wonderful, now Zuma has to find another place to dump his political opponents.

Leopard
    Leopard
    Survivalist
    member8

Some SA news : Most universities closed due to riots – during final exam period
    Links http://www.iol.co.za/news/crime-courts/cops-justify-reaction-to-student-protesters-1.1933868
    Parliament was caught off guard by the marchers, who were described as not targeting the national legislature, but wanting to be addressed by Higher Education Minister. Around 5 000 protesting students pushed through the gates, which gave way. The Presidency announced on Thursday that President Jacob Zuma would meet with university managers as well as student leaders on Friday in a bid to end the nationwide protests.

http://www.news24.com/SouthAfrica/News/80-arrested-for-attacks-on-foreign-owned-businesses-in-Grahamstown-20151022 Police have arrested over 80 suspects following the looting of several foreign owned businesses in Grahamstown and Joza. It is feared that the looting was a result of xenophobic sentiments. “I am appealing to the community to refrain from engaging in any lawless activities as you will meet the full might of the law.”

Profile photo of GeorgiaSaint
    GeorgiaSaint
    Veteran
    member9

Amazing – nothing at all on either Google News or DrudgeReport, in a quick check of two aggragating news sources.

The US news cycles for the next few days will be dominated by our next Speaker of the House and Hillary Clinton’s “show” at the Benghazi Hearings that are avoiding key issues in that situation. No concern about what else is going on in the world of consequence. Sad.

Thanks for the update, Leopard.

GS
    "Ye hear of wars in far countries, and you say that there will soon be great wars in far countries, but ye know not the hearts of men in your own land."

Leopard
    Leopard
    Survivalist
    member8

Our President Zuma notified the Students this afternoon that there will be no increase in their study fees next year. This is how it sounds like when African people get together in protests
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5-fIg0X7M0A
    Durban https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=huT3-ccc8QU
    Pretoria https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H-Z3bTCf5v8
    But mostly they burn stuff and throw rocks… This is what they are doing on their way home now. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_pB4eOKc5MI
    It was said on SABC3 TV news that the Revolution will start with a Twitter notification.. ? mmm

http://www.health24.com/News/Tipping-point-when-protests-turn-violent-20151023

BBC News link http://www.bbc.com/news/world-africa-34618724

Profile photo of Meduseld
    Meduseld
    Survivalist
    member2

Howzit Leopard,

How are you? I hope that all is working out nicely for you since our last telephone conversation.
    Please keep in touch with me if things turn suddenly. There has been a sudden spike in the formation of small groups of people, all over the show across Johannesburg and the province; clearly, there is panic in the air amongst ordinary people. Two senior Suidlanders (really nice guys, by the way; sweet chaps) told me that SLs membership is going through the roof. Apparently membership has increased so drastically that they have had to do away with some of their procedures in order to cope with processing the sheer numbers. The one guy told me that the current (not historic, or overall, obviously) rate of new memberships is 60/40 in favour of English speakers. Can you even believe that that is possible?

And everyone is talking about the fulfilment of Seer van Rensburg’s prophecy of 100 years ago that there will be a deluge of black and brown-skinned people in Europe immediately prior to us being slaughtered. Our Lord alone knows what is going to happen, but there is no disputing that almost everything SvR predicted for this very moment in time is spot-on… the move to prevent Afrikaans being the language of instruction in the old Afrikaans universities!!! Unbelievable!!! How could he have known about that 100 years before the time???… the wicked ruler??? I mean, how on earth?… the electricity crisis – HUH?????? The man literally did not have electricity on his farm and in the village nearby when he predicted that an electricity collapse would be our death-knell.

I am convinced that we still have at least six months, maybe 9 months, left before a full-blown state of anarchy but I have heard some very worrying stories from my contacts within the XYZ party (you will know what I am talking abut I think) which suggest a much shorter time span. There is apparently widespread talk at higher levels of a drastic development. You will know it when you see it, trust me.

Who knows? Half the country is semi-normal apart from the usual rapes, murders, and car-hijackings, but the other half seems to be getting ready to burst into flames.

Anyway, please give me a ring sometime when you are not too busy. I’d like you to join us on our safe route out, please. More by P.M./telephone if you want to know more.

May God bless you and your people if we do not get a chance to speak again.

• This reply was modified 2 years, 7 months ago by Profile photo of Meduseld Meduseld.
    Profile photo of MountainBiker
    MountainBiker
    Survivalist
    member10

Who knows? Half the country is semi-normal apart from the usual rapes, murders, and car-hijackings, but the other half seems to be getting ready to burst into flames.

The normalcy bias that we all suffer from is amazing. The SA crime statistics and everyday precautions that Leopard has explained to us are incredibly far from anything I could ever use the word “normal” with. That half the country is worse than “normal” is scary indeed.

Whirlibird
    Whirlibird
    Survivalist
    member10

The normalcy bias that we all suffer from is amazing. The SA crime statistics and everyday precautions that Leopard has explained to us are incredibly far from anything I could ever use the word “normal” with. That half the country is worse than “normal” is scary indeed.

Compare Atlanta, Detroit, Chicago and places like them to Keokuk, Walsenburg and Torrington and the same comparison could be made.
    What is normal for one…..

SA is different for a number of reasons, the border war in part, it got people used to things that we outsiders can’t relate to. Things that became normal.

The quote from Blood Diamond fits according to every Saffer and Rhodie I’ve talked with.
    T.I.A.
    It applies to everything.

(This Is Africa)

Much like the corruption and crime in Chicago and Detroit, its part of the normal life now.

No water, no power, voter fraud?
    T.I.A.

All these people wishing for shtf, ask someone living it daily in SA, zim, etc.
    No massive reset, no foreign invasion, just the slow grind into oblivion.

GeorgiaSaint
    Veteran
    member9

All these people wishing for shtf … .

Who’s wishing for SHTF???

GS
    "Ye hear of wars in far countries, and you say that there will soon be great wars in far countries, but ye know not the hearts of men in your own land."

Profile photo of L Tecolote
    L Tecolote
    Survivalist
    member8

“Who’s wishing for SHTF???”

Yeah, that’s my question, too, though I suppose it might fit those whose choices/actions contribute to the downfall of civilization.

“This is the way the world ends
    This is the way the world ends
    This is the way the world ends
    Not with a bang but a whimper.”
    The Hollow Men, T.S. Elliott

Cry, "Treason!"

• This reply was modified 2 years, 7 months ago by Profile photo of L Tecolote L Tecolote.
    Profile photo of MountainBiker
    MountainBiker
    Survivalist
    member10

GS & LT, I have seen on other forums many wishing for “it” to happen. They seem to think their particularly version of a righteous rest will come about. Clearly they are folks who have never thought through the details of what life would be like in a collapse.

Whirli, I suppose you are right that “normal” is in the eyes of the beholder. I like living in my little bubble where crime is about as low as happens anywhere in the world. For me, normal is the virtual absence of violent crime. Northern New England not having any large cities nor much of any diversity is not representative of the country as a whole.

Whirlibird
    Whirlibird
    Survivalist
    member10

There isn’t a forum or other avenue out there where someone or many someone’s aren’t basically dreaming and hoping it all falls apart. Yes, even here.

We all know them or of them.

Getting to some mythical better place where all debts are canceled, where they can live like a king because of their charm and ability to rub two dry squirrels together to generate static electricity to charge their iPad, before they go out to whack a deer for dinner even when they’ve only ever seen them in a zoo.

No magic reset button, no instant fix, just fixing what we can, as we can.
    No fixing the problems and we end up like SA, Greece, Argentina and zim.
    Too much more and ethnic cleansing may become a problem everywhere.
    There is no quick fix to any of it.

Tec, SF has become unlivable as of late, the sheriff is an idiot, pandering and simpering. Can’t even carry a gun. The last gun shop has closed, driven out of business. A sanctuary city, only the illegals are safe.
    The residents have done this to themselves. What can be done?

Sorry for the thread jack, but until people what is happening in SA as well as looking closely at their own countries and how to repair them, long term, we’re just circling the bowl waiting for the handle to be pushed.

GeorgiaSaint
    Veteran
    member9

There isn’t a forum or other avenue out there where someone or many someone’s aren’t basically dreaming and hoping it all falls apart. Yes, even here.

We all know them or of them.

A prime example would appear to have been former Iranian President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad, as part of his crazy religious quest to “bring it on” sooner rather than later. That’s the only example I can think of right off the top of my head.

But, “Yes, even here,” meaning the SHTF Forum? Maybe I’m just living in a bubble world, or am more blind than I thought. But I have not seen that here from anyone. Some are more proficient than others at being ABLE to live off grid, away from cities, evading bad guys, etc., but somehow I’ve missed the post(s) that state somebody’s actually hoping to be forced into that situation. Frankly, if I saw that attitude here, and particularly if I saw it among more than perhaps one or two, I’d be out of here quicker than greased lightning.

I certainly don’t know Selco. However it would appear clear to me that, having lived through some of the worst of what could ever possibly constitute SHTF, he knows HOW to do it – but that he would never want to go back through that experience again. And he thankfully chose to share his more than hard-earned skills and knowledge with others so they’d be more likely to survive such conditions if/when they happen to them. So, people congregated here to discuss such survival with hopes of coming out alive and intact on the other side. And with that discussion logically comes discussion of the likely prospects of it happening in various parts of the world, including a large number of posts by US residents watching this nation go down the tubes. But I would label anyone “nuts” that WANTED to experience the final fracture and go into free fall.

Now – if you’re right, and that becomes (more?) evident here in the SHTF forum as you stated it already exists, I’m out. I want no part of that mentality. At most, I’d come to this site solely to continue studying the articles by Selco, but would entirely avoid the discussions by such people as you say exist “even here.” Seeing it as a very real, and even likely possibility, and preparing to survive it as best I can, is not to be equated in any way with wanting to actually HAVE to. And if it turns out I’ve just been missing an underlying hope here that it will actually happen, I will plead guilty to being naively blind and then click the “Log Out” button for the last time in the SHTF Forum.

Put another way, from a religious standpoint, I happen to be one that believes in Biblical prophecy concerning the “last days,” and the unimaginable destruction and other horrors that will exist in the final wrapping up scenes. But being willing to prepare (both temporally and spiritually) to go through it, if necessary, is not a wish to have to. One can look forward to what comes on the other side of that ultimate SHTF without looking forward to having to experience what leads up to it.

If you’re seeing it here, please do me (and probably others) a favor by calling it out.

GS

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

“being willing to prepare (both temporally and spiritually) to go through it, if necessary, is not a wish to have to” GS

I’m willing to have a root canal preformed if I have to, no way do I want one. I’m willing to go through a collapse if I must, the alternative dirt nap not so much.

Whirlibird
    Whirlibird
    Survivalist
    member10

In typical fashion its been a cumulative, circumstantial thing.
    Little comments here and there, I don’t think anyone here truly wants everything to fail, especially those who have been or are going through situations, Proteus, Leopard, and Selco for example.

But certain comments just nag at you. Coming back at odd times.

Probably nothing, spent almost an hour dealing with an anti-establishment type this morning and I’m likely seeing them everywhere, even here.

GeorgiaSaint
    Veteran
    member9

Eh – bad days can color our vision, especially when the background noise is always there. Kinda reminds me of the old Buffalo Springfield song, “For What It’s Worth” (REALLY showin’ my age!). Just because we’re paranoid doesn’t mean they’re not out to get us. I particularly like the insight in that old song – sometimes we “see” bad things simply because we’ve become programmed through experience BY seeing it in reality.

There’s something happening here
    What it is ain’t exactly clear
    There’s a man with a gun over there
    Telling me I got to beware
    ● ● ●
    Paranoia strikes deep
    Into your life it will creep
    It starts when you’re always afraid
    You step out of line, the man come and take you away

We better stop, hey, what’s that sound
    Everybody look what’s going down
    Stop, hey, what’s that sound … .

I’ve found it amazing how some of the 60s protest songs have become so applicable all over again today – a half century later. Yep – just because I’m paranoid, doesn’t mean … .

Thanks for the clarification, Whirlibird. Perhaps your post was a good wake up call for all of us here. It’s easy to just go full-negative, when so much is going wrong around us. It’s important for each of us to step back occasionally, assess what’s going RIGHT in our lives (even if very limited), make sure we nurture the good stuff, and indulge in it regularly. It’s only then that the hope that’s supposed to be springing eternal in the human breast gets to come out and play. (An Essay on Man, Alexander Pope)

The proper study of Mankind is Man.
    Placed on this isthmus of a middle state,
    A Being darkly wise, and rudely great:
    With too much knowledge for the Sceptic side,
    With too much weakness for the Stoic’s pride,
    He hangs between; in doubt to act, or rest;
    In doubt to deem himself a God, or Beast;
    In doubt his mind or body to prefer;
    Born but to die, and reas’ning but to err;
    Alike in ignorance, his reason such,
    Whether he thinks too little, or too much;
    Chaos of Thought and Passion, all confus’d;
    Still by himself, abus’d or disabus’d;
    Created half to rise and half to fall;
    Great Lord of all things, yet a prey to all,
    Sole judge of truth, in endless error hurl’d;
    The glory, jest and riddle of the world.

GS

Viewing 15 posts - 301 through 315 (of 444 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.