Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 34 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

Ed,
    Looks like fun. Perhaps a new thread for firearms training is in order. Where to start, types available, what to avoid. Basics on sights and finger control etc.

Jay
    Jay
    Survivalist
    member3

Jay, I also am working on some info for you, but have not had time to do it justice. Sorry for the delay and hope to have a complete post soon.

That would be great Danie!

Im from Europe so Im pretty much green when it comes to guns. Here in Asia we can go to shooting ranges but there is no proper training available. I was thinking about really learning the basics first.

I know this from everything I learned in the past, if you master the basics everything later on gets much easier and better. In a lot of areas, knowing the basics very well will get you much further than knowing a lot of things on a superficial level.

Every input or recommendations are highly appreciated.

@Edheler, great that Appleseed is so affordable. A lot of people offer hyped up “training” for ridiculous prices. Not a big friend of this.

By the way we also work on opening up SHTFschool.com for others to offer courses. (Toby C is working on some great wilderness survival stuff for example, he is an survival instructor)

So if anyone is interested in offering a basic firearms course (as good as it gets without the students getting their hands on a gun) please get in touch with us.

Alea iacta est ("The die has been cast")

Profile photo of Edheler
    Edheler
    Survivalist
    rreviwer

@Edheler, great that Appleseed is so affordable. A lot of people offer hyped up “training” for ridiculous prices. Not a big friend of this.

Appleseed can get away with its prices because all of the instructors are volunteers. No-one in the whole organization is paid for their time. I personally think that professional training which costs less than $400 per day is reasonable. Many professional firearms trainers are geared towards providing a service to the law enforcement community and charge much higher prices because they can afford it. Unless a higher priced course comes very highly recommended I would generally stay away. There are also a lot of interesting things offered all over the country for fairly low costs. It also doesn’t usually cost much to enter a competition where you at least simulate some pressure by having to perform on demand. I really wish there were more steel matches in my area as it would be great handgun practice.

Whirlibird
    Whirlibird
    Survivalist
    member10

Whirlibird, I think you should start posting from the beginning. What I mean is if a am a new student and I want to start learning what would be my first lesion, then go from there, second lesion and so on.

This would be very good for some that do not have any training. I would read them all.

What do you think?

Coming up.

Profile photo of Jayman
    Jayman
    Survivalist
    member2

Very good post, covers so many needed topics. I also recommend Appleseed, but also, I believe that in order to be sufficiently prepared for urban scenarios, one must also practice much handgun use at a range ( indoor or out) where one can learn to estimate distances. True, it is harder to focus on this when adrenaline is making heartbeat race and hands shake somewhat but every shot should count. I have seen people make consistent hits at 30 yards with short barreled revolvers and at 50 with autoloaders; but have also seen people spray all over the place at fifteen yards when they have not practiced enough.

Profile photo of lci115lewis
    lci115lewis
    Survivalist
    member3

I believe the CMP (Civilian Marksmanship Program) rifle clinics are usually reasonably priced, but they are a very short program about introducing new shooters to high powered rifles, I have seen a lot of clinics that are attached to a shooting competition afterwards. So for a totally new rifle shooter something like a CMP clinic and possibly a match the first weekend, several trips to a range with competent gun handling friends, and then an Appleseed clinic the next weekend might be a pretty good intensive introduction. At least they will know what they don’t know and can ask better questions.

Rob

chester
    chester
    Survivalist
    member7

Good post. Following some basic tactics can make a big difference. +1 on training but check out the reputation of the training providers.

Profile photo of freedom
    freedom
    Survivalist
    rnews

chester, Training is it, train to shot, train to take your weapon apart and clean it, train for all tactical survival, urban and wilderness.

And buy ammo, you do not want a gun to use as a hammer.

chester
    chester
    Survivalist
    member7

freedom, Service in the military brought home the benefits and the message loud and clear. Hope for the best but train for the worst.

Profile photo of freedom
    freedom
    Survivalist
    rnews

chester, your training that you got is the best training in the world so you will do great. Every other person on here that didn’t go to the military needs to train, train and train.

Robin
    Robin
    Survivalist
    member8

I was once a marksman with handguns and long guns. Lately I really fell out of practice. So I took a handgun
    I just purchased and went to a friends to do some shooting. I was getting close but could not hit the bull. Consistent
    at the six just below. Had my friend stand to my side and watch. Turns out I was pushing the weapon.
    Talked this over with another buddy who is a shooting natural. He told me about the “Weaver Stance.” I did some dry fire and then live rounds.
    Fixed!
    No dog is ever too old to learn something new!

Robin

Profile photo of osagemarine
    osagemarine
    Survivalist
    member3

The training from Appleseed and CMP are both good classes for everyone. As to the other classes, $400 a day is pretty pricey – that’s what I charge for a 3 day class. Some guys with the big reputations get that much, but most aren’t worth it. $250-$300 for a 16-20 hour class is reasonable for a class that covers anything more than the basics. I charge more because I do a 30 hour class in 3 days and do several low light drills at night and force on force training.

For those outside of the US, get a better quality airsoft (try to get a copy of a gun that would be reasonable for you to ‘find’ in an emergency) and practice. Start very close range – feet not yards/meters. Start slow and learn trigger control and sight picture. Then learn to point and fire – for reactionary situations. Then start moving and firing. Learn how to clear corners and shot from any position imaginable. Then you go back to the basics and repeat the whole process.

Profile photo of freedom
    freedom
    Survivalist
    rnews

osagemarine, is there any near Miami, Florida?

Profile photo of osagemarine
    osagemarine
    Survivalist
    member3

There are several schools in south Florida. I can’t give you a recommendation as to I don’t know any of them. Find something close to you. Then research the school – look for reviews. Read all the reviews, especially the negative ones. Be realistic about how much you do or do not know. NRA certificates are nice, but I have several and I wasn’t impressed with what I got from them – but I was already an instructor. Another thing, right now you have lots of guys saying they were contractors or some high speed low drag secret squirrel guy – ask them about their school and what their MOS was if military or what company they worked for and then Google.

I know of several individuals who are running or ‘lead instructors’ who went over to the sand box and worked as security guards. Granted, they had more training than the armed security here in the states but they are presenting themselves as tier one operators. Your best bet for pistol is to find an instructor who is a working police officer and instructor with that agency. They are around and they can teach you the basics pretty good or they won’t be an agency instructor for very long. After you get the basics look for someone who teaches force on force. If you have a couple of training partners you guys can work with each other and that will help.

In some ways, shooting is like driving a car. The more you practice and the more you do it, the more it becomes second nature. Also, the super high speed advanced stuff is only the simple basics applied with extreme consistency under any condition. Some things to consider.

Profile photo of freedom
    freedom
    Survivalist
    rnews

Thanks osagemarine, I am going to start looking for a police instructor. I have some police friends which I will ask.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 34 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.