Tagged: 

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Malgus
    Malgus
    Survivalist
    member8

This isn’t really a thread about “Hey, I did this, so you should too!”. It’s simply a little discussion about what I used over the years… and also an experiment as to see if anyone has had similar experiences elsewhere in the world.

I carried (and still do) a simple Buck 110 folding lockblade. Lots of guys carried these Tacticool people-stickers, but I can honestly say that in 13 years of service, I never actually stuck another person with one of these people-stickers. Never stuck anything with them, matter of fact… except maybe myself once or twice when I was playing with it.. I got no use for those tacticool people stickers. Just none. Way overpriced for what they are, just because they’re maybe black, have a cool blade and possibly some velcro involved somewhere… (I have a theory that if you spray paint dried out dog **** flat black, hot glue some black velcro on it somewhere and call it “Tactical”, some damn fool will buy it… )

But the Buck was very, very handy… used it for all sorts of stuff that you would obviously use a good knife for. Never had any use for serrated blades, except when I was cutting a dinner roll. I even skinned out some game a few times with it. I even carried a wee sharpening stone with it. It never let me down – ever. Cost what? About 30 bucks? Best return on investment ever…

A spoon. Just a plain old big stainless steel soup spoon. The military makes you hump a lot of crap around that you really don’t need, probably just to see if you’ll do it (another untested theory of mine). I won’t go into the list, but a “mess kit” is one of those things. I never used my issue mess kit. Ever. Not even once. In fact, I was so bored one weekend, I actually polished my mess kit so mirror bright, it looked chrome-plated (for which I got into a great deal of trouble). However, I did go around with a large, cheap, stamped steel soup spoon stuck in my right boot. Ate with it all the time. In fact, I discovered that if you couldn’t eat it with your fingers and that big spoon, you were wasting time. (Once I got into Germany and started bartering with my opposite numbers, I found the German knife/fork/spoon kit is better than our stuff and the weight tradeoff is more than worth it, so my beater old boot spoon got replaced. I just kept it crammed into a spare pouch and went about my business. They’re even nice enough to give you a can-opener with the thing, which is damn nice of them.) In fact, if you could take a German-issue spoon and somehow weld a P-47 can opener (the big ones) to the other end, that would be damn near perfect.. I’ve got some JB Weld… I wonder…

Canteen cup. The stainless issue US one. Right handy for just about everything. You can use it for shaving, cooking, eating out of, making coffee, even digging with it if you have to. The old steel pot helmets used to fill this role (cooking out of it, heating water, shaving out of it, digging with it, etc) but they went to that Kevlar coal-scuttle helmet a long time ago… meh…

Leather cowhide gloves. Having a pair or two of good cowhide leather gloves with you will pay dividends, and your hands will thank you. Just your standard yellow heavy duty cowhide work gloves you find at any hardware store. Worth their weight in gold if you don’t have them. I know this might be a self-evident “DERP!” kind of thing, but I’ve been caught without them before and had to pay that butcher bill already… Just buy a couple pairs and throw them in your bag/truck/whatever and forget about them… it’s worth it.

550 cord. Wrap your knife sheath with this stuff, as much as you can fit on comfortably. Also replace your bootlaces with it. Yeah, it’s that good and yeah, it’s that handy. Don’t leave home without it.

Shoe Goo. Yep, that crud in the red squeeze tube. Stuff is indispensable when it comes to pasting your shoes/boots back together in a field expedient repair… Once in the desert, I ripped damn near the entire sole off my right boot. Just “rrrriiiip!” and it was flopping around… crap. Duct taped it up right quick and when we got somewhere to hole up for the night, I busted out the Shoe Goo. Squirted that junk all over the damaged sole, smooshed it together, put a BFR Mark 1 on it to hold it together and knocked out. Next day, my boot was fine. That **** WORKS! I think they sell it at Ace Hardware… well worth the investment.

Anyways, I gots ta bounce… y’all be good and add to the list…

The wicked flee when none pursueth..." - Proverbs 28:1

Profile photo of Hillbilly
    Hillbilly
    Survivalist
    member3

Yes sir good stuff right there, shoegoo imagine that? Being a knife guy I’m kind of partial to what knifes I have on me at any certain time…
    1st my folder, never go outside without it. A kershaw onion. nuff said. and of course I have a leatherman, who doesn’t? Next I guess is your basic K bar, not always carrying that, pretty much just when I’ve got my battle rattle on. I’m a retired butcher, I have way too many knifes..
    550 cord, good stuff, can never have too much of that. A spork with a can opener on one end, well if I ever see one I’ll think of you Malgus. I always keep a folding shovel in my truck, sharpened one side so it’s a weapon too, but mostly a brush wacker. One thing I carry a lot more now is one of those tacticool flashlights, 300 or 400 lumens. The kind that takes 2 cr123 batteries. When its dark, shine one of those in someones face, turn it off, and your invisible!Just walk away…

Profile photo of tweva
    tweva
    Survivalist
    rreallife

Agree Malgus on soup spoon! A true, trusty companion. I measure dig/plant with it sometimes, use it to pry stuff up with (mine is a sturdy bugger pre-chinese made) – all kinds of things

I carry my soup spoon, and these things with me on my person around the farm and before that whenever I was riding
    Leatherman pocket knife – what else to say
    – a tiny round tin with a small piece of bees wax in it to pull out small splinters, slick something up to make it move easier – just plain useful
    duck tape - over the years – invaluable – large piece folded to size of playing card in back pocket with a small piece of course sandpaper folded in it (to make something a bit sharper or take dried goo off a tool) with a piece of flat wire folded over it all (sometimes you just need a piece of wire on the place)

On the ATV I always carry:
    – a handful of fence nails, u-staples
    – a big screw driver (it does obvious but also works as my go-to tow hitch when my hands hurt from arthritis and don’t want to bother with cotter pins
    -my machete – hacks off low branches, chops off a piece of wire, can dig with it – just useful
    -my cattle prod/snake tool
    -plastic colored flag tape (to mark location of something I need to remember to do something about) and tie stuff up with

Thanks Malgus I didn’t know about ‘shoe goo’! – I’ll have to try ‘shoe goo’ on my boots – they are about 9 months old Timberlands – I like to try and get a year out of them if I can.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Malgus
    Malgus
    Survivalist
    member8

@ twee

I wear sandals around the house/farm mostly… unless I’m going to be working in the barn or with the livestock or down at the pond… then it’s a pair of Redwings.

Thing is, I usually go through a pair of sandals in about one summer. They just fall apart. Mostly the padding shreds, then the rubber wears away underneath.., long before the sole gives out or the leather straps give way. I’m rebuilding my last pair. They were comfy and did a fine job, but the padding just shredded away… so, I’m cutting away the shreddy bits and will Shoe Goo a nice trimmed hunk of Horse Butt leather over the whole mess, which will give them a second chance at service. My current pair of sandals are in the mud room, drying. One of the straps cut loose and yanked up the padding… and I just got them!. So, I gooped some Shoe Goo in there and smooshed it back together… hopefully it will hold until Project Sandals is finished.

Starting to think that if I took a chunk of off-road tire (the tread part), cut it to fit and then ‘Gooed a running shoe insert to that, then leather over that… it would make one damn fine pair of sandals…

@ HillBilly

Probably the only thing tacticool they did right was those flashlights. I got a Surefire 9Z (they don’t make em anymore) that runs on those 123 batteries… don’t use it much, but I do take it with me when scouting the barn or the grounds looking for thieves… we got meth and pill heads around here. Both me and my neighbor been hit. I lost two saddles, he lost an air compressor, fishing tackle and some other stuff… Me, that flashlight and a Model 12 Winchester… rural 911… heh.. :)

Good stuff for the list… keep it going, y’all!

The wicked flee when none pursueth..." - Proverbs 28:1

Whirlibird
    Whirlibird
    Survivalist
    member10

Deck screws, the 2.5 to 3″ ones. Shelters, repairs, all else fails treat em like a nail and bang em in.

Baling wire. If you can’t fix something with duct tape or baling wire, it truly is broken.

JB Weld. I  actually hate the stuff but there’s times that its indespensible. Cracked oilpan? Transmission leak? Radiator leak?

Heat shrink tube. Various sizes for different uses. Small to cover electrical splices, larger for hoe/shovel covers or repair. I once put a rifle stock back together in the field with some epoxy, a couple deck screws and some shrink tube.

Electrical tape. Aside from the obvious, muzzle covers, bandages, all the stuff you don’t need duct tape for.

Mr. Red
    Mr. Red
    Survivalist
    member7

I love threads like this. I’ll think about some stuff tomorrow and add. But a big plus to many of the items already mentioned, especially electrical tape. A roll of that with a roll of duct tape and you’re golden.

Canadian Patriot. Becoming self-sufficient.

Profile photo of matt76
    matt76
    Survivalist
    member8

Let’s not forget channel locks and vice grips.

Profile photo of tweva
    tweva
    Survivalist
    rreallife

Oh my gosh- I just reached for it a few minutes ago…how could I forget?

WD-40! – what don’t I use it for? Cleans toilet bowls of lime deposits, use it on my garden tool wood handles to keep in good condition, cleans metal on tools, cleans/shines up everything, clean stirrups, tack/leather, removes grease and paint from my hands, keeps snow from my snow shovel,…just, well just a great product.

Here are WD-40’s site stated uses – huh – lots of people Iam sure use it for more than what they list. I’m sure I do.

Selco
    Selco
    Survivalist
    member6

(I have a theory that if you spray paint dried out dog **** flat black, hot glue some black velcro on it somewhere and call it “Tactical”, some damn fool will buy it… )

Very good theory, I completely agree. It is always about how many times somebody else said to you that something is “cool” to have. “Tactical” things are especially “cool” to have, and when SHTF they will feed you, defend you, find water for you. You will be new Rambo version :)

Yea, there are cool stuff there to have sure, like all this posts saying, good thing is to try them all.
    Cool thread, and great suggestions and examples.
    Often I remember my homemade SHTF knife sheath, made from hard book covers, sewed together with piece of wire.
    Did not looked tactical at all, looked like s..t actually, but did work.

Profile photo of Hillbilly
    Hillbilly
    Survivalist
    member3

Good point Malgus, shoe & boot repair. I bet in today’s society most people would never consider fixin their own. But in a SHTF scenario ya might have to. Been 40 years since I’ve been to mexico but what I remember was the sandals…They all had old tire sole’s, so yea that works.
    Duct tape & bailing wire, you can fix just about everything but computers and feelings with it.
    On thieves, Game camera and bait. Evidence is what you need, ” Tweekers don’t like exposure, but then I’m guessing they don’t like shotguns pointed at them either.
    Gonna pick up some shoe goo today when I go to town, thats a good one Malgus, thanks..

Mr. Red
    Mr. Red
    Survivalist
    member7

Ranger Bands are great. Just use bicycle inner tube and cut them to desired width. Makes for a heavy duty rubber band.

Propane torch. I’d prefer to have an oxygen acetylene set up, but for right now all I have is the little propane stuff, but it does most jobs well.

Good boots. I don’t care what you say, if you have shitty boots you’re having a shitty day. Good boots helps get everything else done.

A quality headlamp. Frees up your hands, always points to where you look, and the headlamps that are available today are top notch (just got myself a new one recently, Black Diamond brand, love it).

A lot of the good stuff has already been mentioned, so I’ll leave it at this for now.

Canadian Patriot. Becoming self-sufficient.

Profile photo of WhiteKnight
    WhiteKnight
    Survivalist
    rprepper

I second that motion for good boots. In fact I support every item mentioned here… all incredibly useful stuff.

Profile photo of stingray
    stingray
    Survivalist
    member2

All Good! hard to add, but I’ll try. I carry 1.9 mm Spectra spear gun line. It’s same break strength as 550# paracord, but only .075″ in diamater (about 1/2 paracord diameter). It’s pretty easy to wrap 25 or 30′ of it around whatever is convenient (I wrap a flap on a wallet). This stuff will cut you like wire so I carry a couple small screw closure chain repair links as part of my key chain. They become carabiners to terminate the Spectra. EBay has this stuff for just over $30 for 150′.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.