Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 79 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of freedom
    freedom
    Survivalist
    rnews

johnnymac, On the shock to turn it into bleach this website has a good article on it.

http://www.greatnorthernprepper.com/pool-shock-making-your-own-bleach/

Profile photo of higherview
    higherview
    Survivalist
    member2

I have a few things that I have accumulated over what my family and extended family will need with the idea of having for trade. I have collected quite a few butane lighters. Buying them in bulk they can be purchased for a little as 15 cents each.

Also small bottles of hand sanitizer, and larger ones which can be used to refill the smaller ones. This makes good fire starter, but the real reason for these is to stay clear of bacteria and viruses. If there is a pandemic these will be worth an astronomical amount as will face masks and respirators.

Somehow I have ended up with more antibiotics than I probably would ever need for my family. I have a bit that can be used for trading if the need arises.

I have an accumulation of the small jars of coffee useful for trading. Sure I can drink it now, its not bad, but I save money by purchasing in larger jar for myself. I buy the smaller jars on sale for a buck or two and they are good trading size.

Alcohol I have various kinds. I do not drink alcohol a lot, but what I like I have stocked. If SHTF I can trade any I want. But specifically for trading I have smaller bottles of vodka and whiskey.

I also have a jar of a couple hundred cheep folding knives. They are nothing special, but might be handy. Now I sometimes give them away to friends or kids. In SHTF they may be used to sweeten a deal or for someone who does not even have a knife.

Ammo – One thing I have learned from SELCO in light of ammo and guns is to be careful who you trade this to so it is not used against you. However, even under current ammo situation in USA I have used my ammo to help friends out. It always has worked out week for me as well (in the long run), and friends are the ones who will help you so you want them to have ammo and firearms.

Seasoning & spices – I have salt and pepper as well as other seasonings. In the old days one of the reason for the trade with the orient was to get herbs and spices. A big reason for this was that there was no refrigeration and spices helped to make marginal meat palatable. It also helps make wild game taste great, and helps those who are not used to the taste of game much more easy to accept.

Profile photo of x-soviet
    x-soviet
    Survivalist
    member1

Agree about vices. And are they “vices” at all? I, personally, developed for myself a very simple litmus test on so-called “survival item lists” – if they mention TP and pet food, I give them 50% chance of being naive daydreamers… But if they do not include condoms – I know I should never read anything from them ever again.

STDs are spreading like forest fire during times of distress, and especially, collapse. Especially in uncircumcised areas. People will continue doing, what they used to be doing for the last 100 thousand years. Women will continue to trade sex for food, protection and other essential favors.

You are spiritually strong, you do not need condoms? Fine. Stock them up for your daughters and widow.

P.S. Soviets used to keep pets too, although not to such an decadent extent, as current N. Americans. I do not eat meat from many years already.

Profile photo of patjoe
    patjoe
    Survivalist
    member2

What about pesticides, rodent traps, and personal grooming items? We have a lot of pest infestations here every summer. Schoolkids especially get head lice every winter. Bedbugs and fleas are a problem in many homes year-round. Do people just tolerate infestations during SHTF? Is there a market for pest control and grooming items like Nix or Kwellada shampoo?

Whirlibird
    Whirlibird
    Survivalist
    member10

Those items are definitely worth stocking even if just for personal use.

Are they a first level item? No but well worth considering once you have the necessities out of the way.

I use soap with lemon eucalyptus oil in it part of the year, it keeps the mosquitos down. Looking around you can find a number of items that will serve this sort of need, and can make for yourself if needed.

Sting
    Sting
    Survivalist
    rreallife

I am in agreement with Tolik. In the US, unless there is a total power grid collapse via CME or EMP attack, the Govt will re-establish control, at least in urban ares, relatively quickly.

Again, what is the nature of the SHTF event? If a pandemic, and one is forced to stay in your home to avoid infection ( see movie Contagion ) then food and clean water are essential, as are weapons to defend ones household/retreat. I have water filtration system and well to trade, as well as extra food and possibly ammo.

But the circumstances I might initiate trade would vary, balancing OPSEC and a determination to keep as low a profile as possible about what I have stored up as to avoid being a target. I have lots of soap and med supplies, like Ibuprofen. hygiene would be important.

Sting

Profile photo of freedom
    freedom
    Survivalist
    rnews

Jeff, I am not sure if the government will ever be fast, if 25% of the country goes down they do not have or build the transformers. One of the big transformers are built in Germany and they take a year to build and ship. so if 10 go down and if they put an order for ten even if they built them all at the same time it would take a year.

We have never have 25% of the Country down so I am not sure if they can handle that. They have a hard time dealing with one State not 10 to 15 States. It can be 75 million people!

Robin
    Robin
    Survivalist
    member8

I stocked cigars, sugar, fire starters (homemade), tea candles (small candles you would see under a food warmer.)
    The cigars are two to a pack.
    I plan to follow Selco’s advise. I will be known as the middle guy. The one that knows everyone.
    One item I stock is thanks to WalMart. They have/had 7 solar powered sidewalk lights for $10. Every time I go to
    WalMart I buy some.
    Also as normal I buy other stuff every trip.

Robin

Selco
    Selco
    Survivalist
    member6

Also small bottles of hand sanitizer, and larger ones which can be used to refill the smaller ones. This makes good fire starter, but the real reason for these is to stay clear of bacteria and viruses. If there is a pandemic these will be worth an astronomical amount as will face masks and respirators.

Somehow I have ended up with more antibiotics than I probably would ever need for my family. I have a bit that can be used for trading if the need arises.

I have an accumulation of the small jars of coffee useful for trading. Sure I can drink it now, its not bad, but I save money by purchasing in larger jar for myself. I buy the smaller jars on sale for a buck or two and they are good trading size.

Good stuff Higherview. Having different kind of “containers” for packaging things for trade is good, it make much more sense to trade stuff in small amounts, then in bigger. From the security point of view and also from the “value” point.

I already mention that even ONE single cigarette was valuable, small amounts of coffe too etc.
    So it is great to have everything prepared so you can offer small bottles of alcohol for example, or small bags of spices or similar.

Profile photo of freedom
    freedom
    Survivalist
    rnews

I like the coffee and green tea, black tea. People would love a cup of coffee in a SHTF.

Gypsy Wanderer Husky
    Gypsy Wanderer Husky
    Survivalist
    exprepper

Bleach has a six months shelf life and at which time it drops by 50% then continues to drop in strength after. I have a thread posted here on bleach made from pool shock and a recipe to make it..

http://community.shtfschool.com/forums/topic/pool-shock-bleach/

Prepare for the unknown by studying how others in the past have coped with the unforeseeable and the unpredictable.
    George S. Patton

Profile photo of freedom
    freedom
    Survivalist
    rnews

Gypsy you have a point, many will want to have this to clear water. They will trade anything for it.

SharpDog
    SharpDog
    Survivalist
    member3

1. Skills

2. Medical Supplies

3. Food

4. Water purification

5. Ammo

6. Tools (incl. Weapons)

Big Bears Don't Tree

Profile photo of freedom
    freedom
    Survivalist
    rnews

SharpDog, you need to be careful with the ammo and weapons because they may use them on you if they know what you have.

Gypsy Wanderer Husky
    Gypsy Wanderer Husky
    Survivalist
    exprepper

Clothing for different times of year.

Prepare for the unknown by studying how others in the past have coped with the unforeseeable and the unpredictable.
    George S. Patton

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 79 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.